It is currently Feb 21, 2017 6:46 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Snow Tires - Recommendations for the Foothills
Post Posted: Sep 7, 2016 8:49 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I have AWD that locks into 4WD and always put snows on - they do grip the winter roads much better. Have had
Blizzaks, Michelene Arctic-Ice and Nokias (sp). I think the Nokias were my favorite but you've got to see who has
the snow tires in you car's size. If you want to beat the rush get them put on the end of September the beginning
of October. The longer you wait the busier the tire shops will be. I like Costco or Discount Tire for good prices. Drive safe.

Post Posted: Sep 8, 2016 6:13 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I moved from CA a year ago and have a Subi as well.

I ended up getting the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 and my car felt like a snow gecko. :D

They were a bit expensive but the peace of mind was well worth it IMHO.

Post Posted: Sep 8, 2016 6:24 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
If you are not a winter weather driver of 4 1/2 decades like me, or if you live on an extreme road or driveway, the winter tires might be for you. But I bought a nice used Outback from some nice local folks this spring and it came with winter tires on it, and a set of expensive rain tires. Alas... I had to take the barely used Michelin rain tires for recycling, because they had deteriorated from sun exposure and were worthless. A sad waste.
Honestly, I can think of just ONE time any of my or my late wife's Subaru's ever failed in slick conditions with all season M&S tires, it was on a dirt road following a small plow that made a nice ice sheet up a steep hill in Brook Forest, without spreading any sand or gravel. Otherwise, never a problem in bad weather with the M&S tires.

Post Posted: Sep 8, 2016 7:50 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Also being from CA, I started off with all season M+S tires the first few winters, then switched to Blizzaks. By far, a winter tire gives much better traction in snow and ice conditions. It may be a hassle to switch tires, or only get 1 year from a set of winter tires, but if you always want to be able to get where you are going, definitely recommend winter tires, and I feel Blizzaks are a great tire that my wife and I both use. Normally these are put on by late September or early October to be ready for the first snow, but depending on how the forecast is shaping up, I may wait until November or December to put them on.

"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather" - John Ruskin

Post Posted: Sep 8, 2016 8:02 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Last season we purchased Nokian Hakkapellita snow tires. They were hands down the best snow tires I've ever used. Instantly a noticeable difference. When you are shopping for snow tires compare the feel of the tires. The snow tires are soft and pliable (also why they won't last that long). But feel the different tires side by side. I'll never buy another snow tire. The Nokians have me convinced. (I've lived at elevation my entire life)

Post Posted: Sep 8, 2016 2:09 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Big O Bigfoot A/T on my Suburban gets me up the steep driveway and down the canyons just fine. The only time I have an issue is when deep snow packs up under the frame and takes weight off the tires.

Post Posted: Sep 8, 2016 2:33 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
We use Aloha Motor's Tires & Auto Service for installing tires
11851 US-285, Conifer, CO 80433
Phone: (303) 838-1040

Blizzaks and Hakkapeliitta are the best snow tires you can get. We use them both with great success

Post Posted: Sep 8, 2016 6:30 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Wily Fox aka Angela wrote:
We use Aloha Motor's Tires & Auto Service for installing tires
11851 US-285, Conifer, CO 80433
Phone: (303) 838-1040

Blizzaks and Hakkapeliitta are the best snow tires you can get. We use them both with great success

I agree with Angela- I went to Aloha last year and got Hakkapeliitta snow tires for my Equinox. Service was fast and friendly, and the tires have been fantastic. Hakkapeliittas are expensive but worth it; Aloha's price for them was lower than the other places I browsed.

Post Posted: Sep 8, 2016 6:48 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Here's a previous link with tire recommendations. I just bought Nokian tires so am excited to try them in the snow.
viewtopic.php?f=106&t=205568&hilit=general+tire

Post Posted: Sep 9, 2016 8:46 am 
My family and I will be moving to the Pine Junction area next summer and will be facing our first winter driving experience next year. I notice several posters mention the type of vehicle they drive. I drive a 2013 Honda CR-V. Does anybody have any comments (good or bad) regarding this vehicle and how it handles in Colorado winter driving?

Post Posted: Jan 10, 2017 5:15 pm 
The only part I'll add is a bit of they why. People talk about winter tires being soft and they are. They not only are an advantage when it's snow covered, but just whenever it's cold. The negative to winter tires is that soft rubber compound isn't meant to be use when it's warm out. 60+ degree days and winter tires and it's terribly hard on them. Also you actually lose traction as the rubber at that temperature gets too soft. If you're staying up in the altitude I think they are a terrific advantage. If you're commuting into Denver daily, you'll likely be replacing snow tires every year because of how much warmer it is down in Denver even through the winter.

I personally use Blizzaks on our family car, I'm on the third year with them because I do my best to pull them when it gets warm. (It helps I have two sets of wheels and swap them myself). We don't commute down the hill often and that makes our situation more unique.

Mud and snow tires or all season tires function that way because of the tread pattern being able to shed snow build up. However their rubber compound is harder and meant for long life. So in the cold of the winter at altitude the rubber turns brick hard. They never will work as well as a winter tire with softer rubber compounds in that situation. It's always a trade off. Frankly I think you've gotten great advice and you have to evaluate your situation to see what solution works best for you.

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2017 10:45 am 
it is all about the tires. to save the expensive snow tires, get them on rims and just swap out the tires each spring.

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next