It is currently Nov 20, 2018 2:31 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Water
Post Posted: Oct 15, 2018 9:10 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
We have a generator, so we don't have to do the bathtub dance and besides we don't have any bathtubs!

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Nov 5, 2018 9:30 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
I also fill up all sinks, and even my washing machine back when I could stop it manually.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Where there is life, there is hope.

Post Posted: Nov 5, 2018 11:24 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I'm curious to those who have generators for the well pump as well as to what size they have. We have a 4000 Watt generator that we take camping and I've always wondered if it would be big enough to run or well pump

Post Posted: Nov 5, 2018 4:28 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Well, 4,000 watts would be plenty for running your pump. The real issue is hooking it up. There are serious implications to consider so that you don't backfeed the IREA electrical grid and kill someone working on what should have been an idle line. We have a transfer switch on the side of the house. In one position, we get power only from IREA. In the other position, IREA is completely disconnected and the generator supplies power to the main circuit breaker panel for the house. Also, the generator needs to be running BEFORE there is a call for water. In other words, if you flush a toilet, the initial surge of power to start the pump needs to be available immediately.

Great peace have they who love Thy law, and nothing shall offend them... Ps 118:165

Post Posted: Nov 5, 2018 6:17 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Also need to check the required voltage for your pump. Many well pumps require 220 volts but most generators only provide 110 volts

Post Posted: Nov 6, 2018 9:57 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Regarding generator sizing- A good rule of thumb is to never go smaller than 1 and 1/2 times the size of the well pump motor in generator output, assuming the well pump is the only load. If you don't know your well pump size, have an electrician or a well mechanic verify the startup (inrush) amperage, and use this info to correctly size your generator. Startup amperage can be 4 times the running amps, and some cheaper generators can't do this-

Post Posted: Nov 7, 2018 9:29 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Any good recommendations on a good electrician to wire in a transfer switch and the cost of what you paid.?
Thanks

Post Posted: Nov 7, 2018 4:20 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Don't know about electricians, but there used to be a master electrician who advertised here on Pinecam. Anyone know of him? Personally, I keep 10 gallons on hand and use about ten more daily from jugs. I don't use milk jugs anymore, too flimsy. Iced tea gallon jugs are great IMO.

As for the well, I have a well bucket that I use for dipping it. My static water level is about 50 feet and it's a bit of a workout, but I have water.

Also, I keep a gallon pot on the woodstove at all times. In a storm, I use snow in the icebox to keep food cold and when it melts I use that water for flushing. Snow gets put on an upper shelf in the veggie drawer.

Post Posted: Nov 7, 2018 4:38 pm 
TrednWatr wrote:
Don't know about electricians, but there used to be a master electrician who advertised here on Pinecam. Anyone know of him? Personally, I keep 10 gallons on hand and use about ten more daily from jugs. I don't use milk jugs anymore, too flimsy. Iced tea gallon jugs are great IMO.

As for the well, I have a well bucket that I use for dipping it. My static water level is about 50 feet and it's a bit of a workout, but I have water.

Also, I keep a gallon pot on the woodstove at all times. In a storm, I use snow in the icebox to keep food cold and when it melts I use that water for flushing. Snow gets put on an upper shelf in the veggie drawer.

I have a chest freezer with gallon jugs of water in it. When the power goes out I put a couple of them in the fridge on an upper shelf to keep things cold, kinda like an old-fashioned icebox operation.

Post Posted: Nov 7, 2018 5:01 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
CJH wrote:
Any good recommendations on a good electrician to wire in a transfer switch and the cost of what you paid.?
Thanks

Here's a Pinecammer, I'll bet he can help you:
Tiff jess wrote:
Friendly neighborhood master electrician and electrical contractor with over 20 years of experience. Prompt, professional, and efficient electrical service. No job too big or too small. We value your time. Please contact for a free estimate.
Jurgens Electric LLC
Jurgenselectric@gmail.com
Ryan Jurgens 303-870-1252

https://m.facebook.com/JurgensElectric/ ... rce=result

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2