It is currently Apr 30, 2017 4:39 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 28, 2010 2:58 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Well, it worked for a while. My trash can has been through at least 8 bear attepmts and has made it though with flying colors...............until last night! :thud: The BIGGEST bear I ever did see came by around 9ish, he tore into it with absolutely no problem at all! Just when I thought I had outsmarted the local bear community, they go and probably huddled above my house and said "Red Rover, Red Rover, send the 500 lb. Bear Right Over!!!! I know that's what they did!! :doh:

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 28, 2010 3:04 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Bostongirl47 wrote:
Well, it worked for a while. My trash can has been through at least 8 bear attepmts and has made it though with flying colors...............until last night! :thud: The BIGGEST bear I ever did see came by around 9ish, he tore into it with absolutely no problem at all! Just when I thought I had outsmarted the local bear community, they go and probably huddled above my house and said "Red Rover, Red Rover, send the 500 lb. Bear Right Over!!!! I know that's what they did!! :doh:

Maybe you need to try to not put you garbage outside every night. Bears get killed because the get use to eating it.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 28, 2010 3:21 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Have no choice, extremely small house and no shed nor garage! Recently purchased it and am in the process of building a garage, but another 2 months out for that. But I am trying all I can to prevent them from getting into it. Thanks though!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 28, 2010 3:24 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Freezing food bits until trash day, rinsing all food containers with a splash of bleach in the mix and putting used cat litter in the trash or a paper towel soaked in ammonia on top of the trash will all help discourage bears from going after your trash can. Good ideas even if you keep your trash cans in a garage. It your trash smells good enough, bears will rip through your garage door to get to it, especially if your place is already on their "fine dining" list.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 28, 2010 3:39 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Thanks Ridgewalker, I do put bleach in the trash and also cat litter, so I am trying!
Didn't mean to turn this into a rant on myself not keeping my trash in the house till trash day. :(

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 28, 2010 3:43 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I didn't mean to rant on you. I would just feel really bad if that 500 lb bruin busted up your new garage door.

Peace. ;)

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 28, 2010 3:55 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Right after I moved up here (1977) there was a lady near Wellington Lake that had the roof of her house ripped up by a bear trying to get in while she was putting up preserves. Guess they smelled really good to the bear.

As winter approaches bears really start feeding, trying to put on fat for the long winter sleep. A garage door is not much of a bearier (misspelled pun intended :hugegrin: )

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 28, 2010 3:58 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Totally understand, no worries. Tried to make my posting kinda funny, as I found it that way.
Love your motorcycle!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 28, 2010 4:07 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Thanks, so do certain other Pinecamers I could name (Bobcat). ;)

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 28, 2010 4:15 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I am having a serious Bear problem, 33 years I ve been up
here and never, now all a sudden bear going after baby cria (llama), mom slashed up. trash gone thru, I put ammonia, pinesol on anything
old food, dead rodents everything. He goes after llama again and he's a dead bear, okayed with DOW. He gave me special bullets. I think some people that have moved from city are creating some of the problems. Sorry to rant, but this will be last one (cria)baby I'll ever have and she is special. I got rid of goats to avoid this problem.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 28, 2010 6:32 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Need the spring bear hunt back in action... Let the hunters take out some of them and people living in the foothills won't have as much problems..

Used to have the same problem 20 years ago in Green Mountans Falls untill the DOW said go ahead and shoot them..

No problem the next year..

Could not get into the post office for the bears wondering aroung out front of the place... DOW traped 5 bears and still more were hanging around...

Monty

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 11, 2010 8:41 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Bostongirl47 wrote:
I did this when you first posted the "how to" and it has worked!!! I had Mr. Bear come faithfully every morning at 12:00 a.m. and knock my trash over and drag it everywhere. Now for the past 3 weeks he has tried but to no avail. Last Monday, he took the trash can and batted it a couple of times and then pushed it down the hill to the exact spot, staning upright, where the trah guys pick it up. He was a couple of days ahead of schedule as the trash pickup isnt until Thursday morning. I need to train Mr. Bear to come every Wednesday and push it down the hill for pickup on Thursday! :multi:

that is SOOOO FUNNY!!!! Image

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next