It is currently Apr 24, 2017 1:20 am 






Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

  Print view

Offline 
 Post subject: Re: basement woodstove
Post Posted: Dec 13, 2016 2:21 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Joined: Mar 2, 2004 5:16 pm
Posts: 2630
I also have a wood stove downstairs with two 90 degree angles in the vent piping. I pre-heat the chimney before starting a fire. A couple rolled up wads of paper stuck up near the chimney opening works well although time consuming. I've also started a small fire with "fat wood" which burns for awhile and combined that with the rolled up paper method. I've heard of some folks using a hair dryer to warm the air in the chimney. Never tried that one! Once the chimney is warm enough you'll notice a significant draw of air into the stove and no smoke escaping.


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: basement woodstove
Post Posted: Dec 13, 2016 2:57 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Joined: Jun 10, 2012 1:03 am
Posts: 1079
mtree wrote:
I also have a wood stove downstairs with two 90 degree angles in the vent piping. I pre-heat the chimney before starting a fire. A couple rolled up wads of paper stuck up near the chimney opening works well although time consuming. I've also started a small fire with "fat wood" which burns for awhile and combined that with the rolled up paper method. I've heard of some folks using a hair dryer to warm the air in the chimney. Never tried that one! Once the chimney is warm enough you'll notice a significant draw of air into the stove and no smoke escaping.


You can also warm the out side of the pipe with a hair dryer.

_________________
Image


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: basement woodstove
Post Posted: Dec 13, 2016 3:09 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Joined: Nov 7, 2013 1:17 pm
Posts: 140
I'll try and get a pic tonight of my interior flue piping to show you the 45* thing. Once I see your pics I should be able to help you with doing the same without moving the hole in the wall. The 8" pipe is going to be harder to work with than my 6", but it should be doable, all things considered. I've seen some stacks installed starting with a 90* elbow, but the manufacturer of my stove (Englander) says the first pipe has to be 24" straight up before using any kind of angles. Your fireplace and wood stove don't share the same stack do they? That alone could be the issue, but from the sounds of it, it's not set up that way... This is not mine, but it gives you an idea of what I'm trying to explain. The top pic is what mine looks like with the 24" straight pipe first

Image

Image


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: basement woodstove
Post Posted: Dec 13, 2016 4:40 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Joined: Mar 2, 2004 5:16 pm
Posts: 2630
Blazer Bob wrote:
mtree wrote:
I also have a wood stove downstairs with two 90 degree angles in the vent piping. I pre-heat the chimney before starting a fire. A couple rolled up wads of paper stuck up near the chimney opening works well although time consuming. I've also started a small fire with "fat wood" which burns for awhile and combined that with the rolled up paper method. I've heard of some folks using a hair dryer to warm the air in the chimney. Never tried that one! Once the chimney is warm enough you'll notice a significant draw of air into the stove and no smoke escaping.


You can also warm the out side of the pipe with a hair dryer.


Not really. It's double walled/insulated. It would take forever to heat the air inside.


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: basement woodstove
Post Posted: Dec 13, 2016 5:03 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
User avatar
Joined: Mar 24, 2004 7:12 am
Posts: 289
I used to have a wood stove in the walk-out basement, but the double wall pipe was just over 3 stories tall to clear the roof. I always had to light some newspaper and hold it near the top of the stove to get the air to stop coming down the pipe and reverse direction before lighting off the main fire. It was a total pain in the butt and every time I had a fire in it, the basement got some amount of smoke in it. Sometimes it was really bad, other times it was only a little.
I finally sold my wood stove and pipe on Craigslist and had a gas fireplace installed in the basement. Costs a little to run it, but now there is no chronic smoke smell in the house and the 45,000 btu fireplace heats up the basement very quickly. We pretty much only turn it on when we are going to use the rec room down there. I lived with that nasty smoking woodstove for 16 years and wish I had replaced it with something better much earlier. If gas doesn't meet your needs, I'd definitely think about replacing it with a pellet stove.


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: basement woodstove
Post Posted: Dec 13, 2016 11:32 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
User avatar
Joined: Apr 21, 2007 1:45 pm
Posts: 51
Location: Conifer
I also have a basement woodstove which can throw off enough heat to warm my upstairs to 65 degrees. I open the sliding glass door a bit to create a draft when starting the fire. Mountain Hearth did a great job installing.


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: basement woodstove
Post Posted: Dec 14, 2016 1:44 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Joined: May 23, 2005 11:33 pm
Posts: 224
Location: backhome
so interesting... i've tried most of the methods offered, but i'm thinking tweaks for better results. blazer bob, thx for the link. it gives me some ideas of the problem altho it doesn't hit it on the nose. fersher i'll go buy a lighter so i can try the flame bend thingie. jacey, based on your post i think moving my fan(s) upon lighting will help, as will be attested to by the lighter flame-bend test.

mtree, based on the graphic and the pix, i think the 45-degree angle replacements aren't an option due to spacing on the inside, and would take a total redo on the outside. for chimney, i think adding an extra section will be the most viable option, plus perhaps yet another new cap (wind-related).

this is an old cast-iron reginald (now a discontinued 1990s model), so a blowdryer will NOT do the trick in a hurry. i'll b looking for a torch (bernz o matic in the search 2nite, home depot real quick for our cold nites coming up!).

of note, i hav an inspection for the fireplace upstairs (replace w/ a wood insert) this week. this was planB,
but i moved it up to planA since i spend most of my awake hours upstairs. but, the conundrum... originally, getting the wood stove going good then the feeble fireplace going upstairs would draw the heat upstairs and the house was wunnerfully warm (the heat goes well w/ the smokey smell). but now that it's really cold vs merely mild, i wonder if a well-going stove would start puffing once the warm air would be pulled upstairs vs only up the stove chimney? so thinking aloud now, guess an insert upstairs is still the immediate answer as it will hav less draw than the inefficient fireplace, while i get the basement woodstove problem whipped into shape.

thx so much all, for your input!


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: basement woodstove
Post Posted: Dec 14, 2016 1:54 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Joined: May 23, 2005 11:33 pm
Posts: 224
Location: backhome
trial...

Image

if this comes across - it's blurry but shows what i'm working w/. u lite the fire in the back, the smoke travels to the front, supposed to go up the channel to the back & up the pipe. a reginald 'superior performance' at the time. note bene... smoke can come out the vent if poor pressurizing or lotsa cold air sitting in the way. i currently hav all joints sealed, including the plate supporting the chimney-to-stove. except one that is now smoking, the final joint at the plate junction. next project, as i hav the tape...


woohoo - it worked!! thx guys/gals for good instructions! now if i can just get auto-logged in when i sign on! i kno - off topic!


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: basement woodstove
Post Posted: Dec 14, 2016 7:33 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Joined: Nov 7, 2013 1:17 pm
Posts: 140
It looks like most of your issue is going to be the 8" single wall to 6" stove connection. Or maybe you are just running triple wall all the way from the stove to the cap for the extra close clearance to the wall. That may be an issue, as the insulated pipe will keep the warmer air from the interior from warming that section of pipe inside the home. You're right though, my 45* elbow trick won't work in this case.

I used single wall in the house, but mine is in a corner and not that close to the wall. I took some pics, but don't see the point of uploading them and they won't help you anyway

Looks like your best bet is to install a high wind cap, get a torch to preheat the pipe inside and run with it, or call a professional to come give his/her assessment of the situation as a whole, in person


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: basement woodstove
Post Posted: Dec 14, 2016 11:08 am 
New Poster
Joined: Jul 25, 2015 8:59 am
Posts: 4
Try opening your walkout basement door a minute or two prior to starting the fire to relieve some of the pressure and thermal tension.


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: basement woodstove
Post Posted: Dec 14, 2016 1:17 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Joined: Jun 10, 2012 1:03 am
Posts: 1079
mtnhsmama wrote:
trial...

Image

if this comes across - it's blurry but shows what i'm working w/. u lite the fire in the back, the smoke travels to the front, supposed to go up the channel to the back & up the pipe. a reginald 'superior performance' at the time. note bene... smoke can come out the vent if poor pressurizing or lotsa cold air sitting in the way. i currently hav all joints sealed, including the plate supporting the chimney-to-stove. except one that is now smoking, the final joint at the plate junction. next project, as i hav the tape...


woohoo - it worked!! thx guys/gals for good instructions! now if i can just get auto-logged in when i sign on! i kno - off topic!


That looks like a block wall behind the stove. If there are no combustibles behind the concrete you do not have a clearance to combustibles issue and can change the run to the thimble to single wall.

_________________
Image


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: basement woodstove
Post Posted: Dec 14, 2016 1:36 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Joined: May 23, 2005 11:33 pm
Posts: 224
Location: backhome
yes, on this side of the house it's dirt behind the concrete up to the ledge, and exterior paneling over foam over concrete behind the upper section, where the chimney goes out. the ceiling represents the beginning of the wood framing.

not sure what the terminology is - what's a thimble? the frame around the egress point? and don't really want to put in a single wall chimney - safety reasons (but i can be educated otherwise). as it stands, i'm looking for a "fence" - cast iron would be ideal - to put on the sides of the stove foundation. dog likes to toss things like pillows/cushions when he makes his bed there next to the stove.


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:

Who is online

In total there are 15 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
Most users ever online was 2823 on Mar 26, 2012 7:26 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests





Powered by phpBB © 2000-2012 phpBB Group

This website copyright © 1994-2017 by
Pinecam.com is a member of the Platte Canyon Area Chamber of Commerce