It is currently Feb 28, 2017 3:26 am 

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: basement woodstove
Post Posted: Dec 14, 2016 3:32 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
mtnhsmama wrote:
yes, on this side of the house it's dirt behind the concrete up to the ledge, and exterior paneling over foam over concrete behind the upper section, where the chimney goes out. the ceiling represents the beginning of the wood framing.

not sure what the terminology is - what's a thimble? the frame around the egress point? and don't really want to put in a single wall chimney - safety reasons (but i can be educated otherwise). as it stands, i'm looking for a "fence" - cast iron would be ideal - to put on the sides of the stove foundation. dog likes to toss things like pillows/cushions when he makes his bed there next to the stove.

For safety (and performance) I would suggest having your system evaluated by a CSIA certified chimney sweep.

http://www.csia.org/search.html

You also might want to request someone who has been through the Chimney Physics and Advanced Inspection classes.

Post Posted: Dec 14, 2016 11:13 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
bb, u hav the best links! learning lots from you - thx! also gaining insight on recent business dealings. ;-0

2moro morning hav inspection for upstairs options, will see if i can get downstairs glance and yea/nay opinions. 2nite was beat from work, so didn't swing by to pick up a torch. still need to tape last smoke outlet (other than vent). i'll try the blowdryer option since i hav that on hand. we'll see how the weather shapes up and where i go from here on the basement. updates to follow! thx all for your input!!

Post Posted: Dec 15, 2016 6:14 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
mtnhsmama wrote:
yes, on this side of the house it's dirt behind the concrete up to the ledge, and exterior paneling over foam over concrete behind the upper section, where the chimney goes out. the ceiling represents the beginning of the wood framing.

not sure what the terminology is - what's a thimble? the frame around the egress point? and don't really want to put in a single wall chimney - safety reasons (but i can be educated otherwise). as it stands, i'm looking for a "fence" - cast iron would be ideal - to put on the sides of the stove foundation. dog likes to toss things like pillows/cushions when he makes his bed there next to the stove.

PM me, I have one like pictured below that we're getting rid of

Post Posted: Dec 15, 2016 9:21 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
That's a pretty cool set up...everything.

Gods Country wrote:
mtnhsmama wrote:

PM me, I have one like pictured below that we're getting rid of

Post Posted: Dec 15, 2016 6:53 pm 
I also have a basement wood stove, also with two 90's, although mine goes through the wall much lower down than yours, so it's even more difficult to start a draft.

Smoke coming inside means you have no draft.

I've found the best way to create draft is just to create a lot of heat real fast.
This part is key. Heat will draw the smoke up the chimney.

here's my method...
Build the fire with lots of paper and plenty of small dry kindling so it will light up quick.
Then loosely ball up at least three or more single sheets of newspaper and set them on top of your kindling near the back of the stove.
Light up the top paper first, and light every edge of it you can reach.

You can light stuff real fast with a torch rather than a lighter, and the extra heat from the torch just helps the draft start that much sooner. The point is that you have a draft already started by burning a bunch of paper before you light the actual wood fire.

While the paper you've set on top is burning enthusiastically, go ahead and light the paper under the kindling. Again, light it all across so it will burn as quickly as possible (rather than starting at one point and slowly spreading). At this point, close the stove door(s) most of the way. The smaller opening (for mine, I leave one door cracked roughly a half inch) increases the velocity of air that should now be drafting into the stove and will get the fire going well. Do not open or close the door (other than to sort of fine tune the draft) until you have a good amount of heat and the fire is drafting strongly. For this reason, it's good to put in a little more time up front and stack up as much dry kindling (and maybe a few larger pieces on top or leaning up on the kindling) as you can fit. Make sure to build your fire so air can circulate through its "structure"... (smoke is also a sign of not enough air). I usually build your classic "log cabin", where you cris-cross the kindling in alternating layers. Once you have heat and draft, you should be good to go...

Post Posted: Dec 16, 2016 6:44 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
With all the talk about fireplaces, I just had to post this one that showed up on Facebook for me this morning.

Sorry if it isn't totally on topic.

"Not all who wander are lost."

Post Posted: Dec 16, 2016 9:17 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Weagle wrote:
With all the talk about fireplaces, I just had to post this one that showed up on Facebook for me this morning.

Sorry if it isn't totally on topic.

now that is supppppeeerrr COOL! did that come off of a CAT345 :)

would love to know how it was constructed and who donated the arm with bucket....

Post Posted: Dec 16, 2016 9:56 am 
Wow! Unique and functional, I love it! People can do such fun design when they think outside the box.

Post Posted: Dec 16, 2016 9:12 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
that's one way to fill up a big empty room! and i bet no woodstove retains heat as long as that combo does!!

speaking of which, we're up & running! got the stove going before it got cold & wet out. i realize now i use way too little paper, so this round didn't balk when i had to keep adding more. first tho - i broke out my hair dryer, ran it into the channel leading to the chimney. bad move! all the loose soot & ashes circled back into the air intake of the dryer. think i got it shook out in case i ever need to use it for HAIR, but there goes that idea. and, that also led to my confirmation of not wanting to get more ashes into that channel. i'm going to try the torch method next time i have a cold startup.

and get this - altho all recent efforts had tons of smoke coming out of the chimney (and yes too much in the house), ends up the cap was purty clogged up. visuals can be deceiving, and it sure explains why it was acting like there was a block in the egress! i'm thinking it came from all my efforts of startup, then immediate shutdown when it got too smoky inside. each attempt made it worse.

so today, i made sure once i got it going (and without interior smoke!!) i kept it hot. trying to burn off anything that is along the chimney. when it's safe to get on the roof again (snomelt) i'll check it out to see if i need another sweep.

another lesson - yes my 260-degree tape on inside chimney joints is holding out fine. but i took the heavyduty stuff (retrieved from inglenook) off the cast iron joints. i had to clear out the house again for the smell - apparently it's way too hot for the tape, the adhesive burned, and the foil was loosening off. employee mentioned it'd hold, owner said otherwise. she's rite!

there was definitely no draft when i was trying to start it. the newspaper just didn't want to burn, and in one area the match wouldn't stay lit either. i think much of the problem was i didn't clear it out from previous start attempts, and there was just no circulation going inside. a fan bringing in air from the open window helped.

this is kinda long, but wanted others to learn what i learned, if they have the same problems. about to head down in the too-hot (72) basement to read now. it's been a nice and comfty 60 up here all afternoon. thanks everyone for your input & ideas - and here's to safe woodburning heat!!

Post Posted: Dec 16, 2016 9:26 pm 
I had same problem- added electric blower on the pipe, yes made for that purpose- in my shed now as I changed to pellet stove for other reasons.

Post Posted: Dec 16, 2016 10:54 pm 
drivfour wrote:
I had same problem- added electric blower on the pipe, yes made for that purpose- in my shed now as I changed to pellet stove for other reasons.

A thought on that solution. It does cure the symptom of a smoky basement but does not cure the problem of a depressurized basement. If there is a furnace or water heater on the same level they could dump carbon monoxide into the space. That could be a much more serious and fatal problem than smoke.

Post Posted: Dec 17, 2016 1:09 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
basement not so depressurized for me - attested to by continual cold air coming in from the doggie door. also not a problem w/ CO normally - all electric baseboard heaters, and an electric water heater.

gonna shovel my way to some torches to try out prior to purchase. then it'll b another cold start, as i slept past my reload in the wee hours. but need to clear out ashes anyhow so all's good... update in a few hours!

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next