It is currently Aug 21, 2017 6:02 am 

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Snowbird advice?
Post Posted: Jan 3, 2017 10:59 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
There's a lot of great experience shared above. I'm no snowbird. I moved to Colorado for the skiing. But I do have a thought. It's risky letting a whole, open community know that your house will be unoccupied for an extended period. I'd look into an alarm or surveillance system; many now have motion detectors and temperature sensors and will take pictures or send an alert.

I have a friend with a lake house in Indiana. He has that place so wired that he knows when I grab a can from the beer fridge in the garage. And when he's out here skiing with me, he gets a cell phone alert if it's too cold in the lake house.

Post Posted: Jan 4, 2017 12:27 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
very good info gleaned here - thx! i'm new to the RV world. the RV antifreeze is wonderful and reliable. my slideout was ruined when kept out (hardware problems) due to snow weight but at least the pipes are fine. as to the home - i've lived in mine thru the winters at 50-55 settings. only since i can't afford all-electric heat at comfortable temps. i'm fine since i can layer up, but my dog is in a sweater 24/7 (he has very little hair) since he can't layer up. it's quite do-able, and feels downrite toasty when coming in from frigid temps outside. so your pipes will be fine, altho i do leave open my kitchen sink cabinet door since those pipes are the only ones on an outside wall, when the outside temps drop to 0 or lower. the utility room is also on an outside wall, but it stays warm from the water heater, so the baseboard in there rarely comes on.

Post Posted: Jan 4, 2017 8:04 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Leaving the cabinet doors open where pipes are on outside walls is a good idea, I forgot to mention. Leaving the heat at 55 is wise. AS far as the refridge goes we basically leave almost nothing in side and put it on a lower setting, if you choose to turn it off leave the doors open. An important thing make a check list leave it posted at your door and double check it before you leave.

Post Posted: Jan 4, 2017 4:03 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
We're big on checklists! Even adding, Checklist. Check!

And RkyMtnFool, our location has not been revealed, and the burglar alarm and remote camera system is in place. Great thoughts to share. Thank you.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2