It is currently Dec 17, 2017 9:58 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Who Do I Contact About Damage Due to Careless Snow Plow?
Post Posted: Jan 7, 2017 3:45 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Hi Pinecammers!

Our house is in Evergreen, near the Marshdale Traffic Circle. We have lived in this house for 20 years and this is the first year that a snow plow driver has damaged our property. So we know that it isn’t necessary to plow down a mailbox every single time it snows! (Actually, it happened once back in 2001 when we had that HUGE snow that measured 5+ feet in places. We overlooked that time because the snow was SO deep that the mailbox was impossible to see!) But the last two or three snows have not been so deep that our mailbox isn’t clearly visible. This is simple carelessness on the part of the plow driver.

This has already happened three times this year. We put our mailbox back together and the very next time it snows, the plow driver comes barreling down the street and knocks it’s block off again! The beam is actually snapped in two!

Folks, the post office won’t deliver mailto a box that is laying in the gutter! And it is expensive to repair this kind of damage - especially if it happens over, and over and over again!

The reason I am posting here is because I don’t know exactly who is responsible for snow plowing my street or how to contact them. If anyone could provide me with this information, I’d appreciate knowing who to talk to about this.

Also has this ever happened to anyone else? Do the people who do this ever take any responsibility for damage they cause? I ask because years ago my daughter’s car got totaled by a snow plow in Thornton, and they refused to make any kind of restitution. I was hoping it is easier in Jefferson County.

TIA for any help/advice you can give.

~Linda~

Image Image

Image Image

"The Framers of the Constitution knew that free speech is the friend of change and revolution. But they also knew that it is always the deadliest enemy of tyranny. "
~Hugo Black~

Post subject: Re: Who Do I Contact About Damage Due to Careless Snow Plow?
Post Posted: Jan 7, 2017 4:32 pm 
Call Road and Bridge. They should fix it for you gratis.

Post Posted: Jan 7, 2017 4:36 pm 
Thanks Mummydog!

"The Framers of the Constitution knew that free speech is the friend of change and revolution. But they also knew that it is always the deadliest enemy of tyranny. "
~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: Jan 7, 2017 5:02 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I had that happen in the 2003 storm. The county (JeffCo) came out to assess it, and said there was too much snow for the driver to have reasonably seen my car, so they were not liable.

Neighbors Helping Neighbors

:go broncos:

Post Posted: Jan 7, 2017 5:19 pm 
aspenleaf wrote:
I had that happen in the 2003 storm. The county (JeffCo) came out to assess it, and said there was too much snow for the driver to have reasonably seen my car, so they were not liable.

Aspenleaf, in this case we haven’t had more than 4 - 6 inches of snow during any given storm this year. The mailbox was clearly visible.

~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: Jan 7, 2017 6:29 pm 
That makes all the difference!

Neighbors Helping Neighbors

:go broncos:

Post Posted: Jan 7, 2017 7:06 pm 
I contacted roads and bridges with my situation and I attached the photos. Now we’ll see what can be done. I’d actually be happy if the problem was addressed with the driver so that it stops happening. I don’t mind doing the repair. I only want the driver to be more careful so that it doesn’t happen again.

~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: Jan 7, 2017 7:33 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Please realize that when a storm is forecast, R&B then goes into a 12 hour shift mode where as they split the crew, and go to 7:00am to 7:pm shifts. The split crews alternate from month to month so one crew that was on the day shift will then be on the night shift, also if a driver is off a different driver will take over. What I am trying to say is that sometimes the same driver is not always on that route, it could have been a relief driver.
I think they will take care of fixing it though for you.

Post Posted: Jan 7, 2017 11:15 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Hi. I'd put lots of that reflective tape in red, gold or yellow on the box and maybe a few reflectors on the beam to improve your chances of "mailbox survival".

Post Posted: Jan 7, 2017 11:30 pm 
nothingbutdarts wrote:
Please realize that when a storm is forecast, R&B then goes into a 12 hour shift mode where as they split the crew, and go to 7:00am to 7:pm shifts. The split crews alternate from month to month so one crew that was on the day shift will then be on the night shift, also if a driver is off a different driver will take over. What I am trying to say is that sometimes the same driver is not always on that route, it could have been a relief driver.
I think they will take care of fixing it though for you.

Good too know Nothingbutdarts! I’ll keep that in mind.

violet wrote:
Hi. I'd put lots of that reflective tape in red, gold or yellow on the box and maybe a few reflectors on the beam to improve your chances of "mailbox survival".

What a marvelous idea! WHY didn’t I think of this before? We’ll definitely do this as soon as we get if repaired! Thanks Violet!

~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: Jan 8, 2017 6:03 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I have seen mailboxes on a horizontal beam like that where the beam is attached to the post with a heavy-duty hinge, and is supported by chains. So if something bumps it (I presume - I haven't seen it in action) it just swings out of the way. So maybe a design change might help?
If I can find it again, I'll take a photo.

Post Posted: Jan 8, 2017 9:07 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
We also have had our knocked over the years, we have all the boxes on the swing system ref above, basically your main support pole has rebar inside so that when the box is hit by the plow or snow then it swings away from it. my guess it looking at the pics it wasn't the acutal plow blade that hit your box but the snow being thrown by the blade. you might want to also check and see just how high that box is actually off the ground. they do sag over the years and I don't remember the " requirments" but it's gotta be able for the blade to clear under the boxes. good luck

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next