It is currently Jun 17, 2019 6:38 am 

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Verizon cell signal booster
Post Posted: Dec 15, 2018 11:23 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Does anyone use a signal booster for Verizon that does not rely on an internet connection? Something similar to this- https://www.amazon.com/Phonelex-Booster ... EV54KZAZ6P

Post subject: Re: Verizon cell signal booster
Post Posted: Dec 15, 2018 11:41 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I did not buy a Verizon branded booster but I do have experience with cell boosters. Your phone uses multiple frequencies to connect. Some boosters only boost 1 or 2 but not all frequencies. For example, a booster may help you talk (1x frequency) but may not boost the signal for data/internet (4g). The most costly boosters will boost all frequencies used by your carrier (Verizon) and thus boosting voice and data.

Depending on the size and footprint of your home, you may need very long coax cables running from the antenna outside over to your amplifier inside. The antenna and amplifier and indoor broadcast antenna will interfere with eachother if not separated by a significant distance. The type of antenna you use will also make a difference. Some are directional and need to be specifically pointed at the target cell tower. Other antennas are not directional. You will likely need a directional antenna due to terrain. Pay attention to the amplifier gain. The higher the number(gain) the better. Low gain boosters are weak.

These things can be very frustrating to align and you may find yourself up on the roof getting the perfect line of sight to your target tower.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Edit: after clicking your link I can give additional advice. The booster you linked to is only capable of boosting a single 4g frequency. This is not ideal because Verizon uses other frequencies besides the 700mhz band. You can use an app on your smart phone to determine which frequency your phone most commonly connects to. You may find it is not the 700mhz band. This is one of those situations where you get what you pay for. I do not think you will be happy with that cheap single band booster.

Post Posted: Dec 16, 2018 9:41 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I been looking at getting a repeater, but have not pulled the trigger to get one. You want to make sure you have signal outside or a signal booster will not work.

As the previous poster stated, make sure the booster you get has the frequency band that you get service with. A good app to determine that is network cell info lite (I do not know if this app is for iPhone or not, but there should be a similar app for an iphone). The app also tells you were the tower you are connected at in order for you to point the receiver at.

I am with Verizon I will probably purchase the cel-fi gox, pricey but has the best performance and frequency bands. It is carrier specific, however, so if you change carriers it will be worthless for you. This unit is rated number 1 at this website https://www.repeaterstore.com/pages/best-cell-phone-signal-boosters

Post Posted: Dec 16, 2018 4:31 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Thanks both of you for the advice. I was looking at the reviews at the Repeater Store and since money is kind of tight right now I would be inclined to go with the SureCall Fusion4Home kit. I found it on Amazon and the reviews are mostly positive. https://www.amazon.com/SureCall-Fusion4 ... t%29&psc=1
One reviewer documented his installation with photos and it appears to have impressive results.

We get 2 bars outside but pretty much nothing inside. The signal is so bad I can't tell what G it is and the Cel-Fi GO X kit says it only works with Verizon 4G not 2G or 3G.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]