It is currently May 19, 2019 2:37 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Does anyone have a ductless heat pump?
Post Posted: Feb 18, 2019 2:43 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Scalawagy wrote:
Cash Larue wrote:
Thanks, aspenleaf! So Tipping Hat said the heat pump wouldn't help me out. They said that I need heated floors. All of the cold down there comes from the tile floors on a concert slab. A ductless heat pump can't overcome the cold floors. Sooooo... my new project will be to install heated floors over the existing tile. I'll keep everyone updated. Nothing ever goes the way it should in my mind.

in floor heating has to go under the tile, not over! They are electric matts, that go on the slab then thinset and tile go over that.
or you can have hydronic systems where piping is run in the concrete slab, but that seems rather impractical now.

Post subject: Re: Does anyone have a ductless heat pump? Post Post

I’m going to have the heating element installed over the existing tile. This is done frequently. It’s too expensive to tear out. I will do a new floor over the existing one. We have 10 foot ceilings down there, so we won’t lose any space.

Post Posted: Feb 18, 2019 8:10 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Cash, sounds like you have it covered.
Just curious, have you done a comparison of the cost of electric versus propane for heat?

Lonewolf Field Services - HVAC Contractor

Post Posted: Feb 18, 2019 8:16 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
stecat wrote:
Cash, sounds like you have it covered.
Just curious, have you done a comparison of the cost of electric versus propane for heat?

Hi stecat. I haven't really done a direct dollar amount analysis. I think electric will be somewhat expensive, but I don't have to worry about the electric "running out" like I do with propane - which is the biggest plus for me. If I don't use my wood stove (which I use pretty much constantly) I BURN through the propane, since I have forced air and a big house with tall ceilings. So I don't need another heat source sucking down the propane as well.

Post Posted: Feb 18, 2019 8:49 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
We installed electric heating over our slab, replacing wall-to-wall carpeting, at the end of 2016. LOVE it!

It was about 600 sq ft - two 240v heating elements. Plus some nice tile. We used GreenTree Tile (Ben Dusharme), although from a quick Google it's not clear whether he's still doing it.

Post Posted: Feb 19, 2019 5:47 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
CodeOfVim wrote:
We installed electric heating over our slab, replacing wall-to-wall carpeting, at the end of 2016. LOVE it!

It was about 600 sq ft - two 240v heating elements. Plus some nice tile. We used GreenTree Tile (Ben Dusharme), although from a quick Google it's not clear whether he's still doing it.

That sounds like the same thing we want to do. Glad you like it. Makes me optimistic!

Post Posted: Feb 20, 2019 9:39 pm 
We had Andy do our ENTIRE HOUSE tile and carpet when we did our big remodel. He did a PERFECT JOB. I do believe he does in floor heating as well. We just did our own WHEN he was doing the tile to save a bit of money. He practically lived with us during one summer. Nice guy and like I say, perfectionist. I haven't talked with him in years, but he is still listed by doing a Google search.

Aj's Carpets Ltd
4430 S Clarkson St
Englewood, CO 80113
Title: Owner
Phone: (720) 971-9743

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2