It is currently Oct 19, 2019 6:30 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Deck Paint
Post Posted: Sep 3, 2019 11:39 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Anybody found a brand of deck paint for up here that holds up reasonably well? Something with a little bit of texture. Obviously can't expect too long life without peeling in our weather up here, but something that will last a few years before needing a recoat? We do shovel off our deck when it snows so the snow doesn't sit on it longer then necessary. Thanks much.

Post subject: Re: Deck Paint
Post Posted: Sep 3, 2019 12:41 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
The best thing for decks is replace it with composite deck materials. Up front there are high costs! But maintenance free!

Post Posted: Sep 3, 2019 1:40 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
We used solid stain superdeck from Ace hardware. It’s supposed to be good for boat docks also. 3+years on west side of the house, you can put grit it otherwise it is pretty slippery

Post Posted: Sep 4, 2019 6:58 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Appreciate the information-composite decking is just not an option at this point. We will look into super deck. Seems like a lot of the "deck paints" peel prematurely; even some lawsuits and settlements against some of the manufacturers. Might just be that we'll sand it down and repaint it with the same paint it had (nothing special) and just paint it every couple years until composite decking is feasible.

Post Posted: Sep 5, 2019 4:16 pm 
I went to composite decking for the minimal maintenance. Here are my observations:1) My deck, a highly rated brand, only warranties the deck to look good for 5 years!! After that, when the UV light up here takes it's toll on the appearance, you're stuck with an expensive, seedy looking deck that you can't refinish or restore, forever. 2) My deck is much more slippery than my redwood deck. It ices up more quickly, stays longer, and is very slippery, especially with quick turns. Slippery when wet as well. I have to use a shuffle gait in the winter. 3) The composites had major trouble with sagging when first introduced- the new stuff hasn't been around long enough to see if improved. BUT.....it doesn't require repainting. I'm sure I'll be called out, these are only my anecdotal personal observations, but thought it may be relevant. Good luck, be cautious!!

Post Posted: Sep 6, 2019 12:09 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Definitely relevant; thanks much for posting your observations.

Post Posted: Sep 6, 2019 1:00 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
DrBob wrote:
I went to composite decking for the minimal maintenance. Here are my observations:1) My deck, a highly rated brand, only warranties the deck to look good for 5 years!! After that, when the UV light up here takes it's toll on the appearance, you're stuck with an expensive, seedy looking deck that you can't refinish or restore, forever. 2) My deck is much more slippery than my redwood deck. It ices up more quickly, stays longer, and is very slippery, especially with quick turns. Slippery when wet as well. I have to use a shuffle gait in the winter. 3) The composites had major trouble with sagging when first introduced- the new stuff hasn't been around long enough to see if improved. BUT.....it doesn't require repainting. I'm sure I'll be called out, these are only my anecdotal personal observations, but thought it may be relevant. Good luck, be cautious!!

Thank you! I've never read or seen a review of composite decking - I really appreciate your response and hope no one "calls you out" for giving your personal observation and opinion.

Post Posted: Sep 6, 2019 4:06 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I have a composite deck that I put in 7 years ago and still looks as good as new! I think it is warranted for something like 20 years. It has not faded and it is LESS slippery than wood in the rain and LESS hot in the baking sun. I guess it depends on what brand you use. I used CorrectDeck Cedar color from the Deck superstore in Commerce City. I was told it does better than any of the Trex decks.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]