It is currently Jun 18, 2019 9:12 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Buckskin Joe, Canon City, up and moves
Post Posted: Sep 3, 2010 3:12 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Anyone ever thought of moving it back to its original location along Buckskin Creek? It was the location of Park County's first Courthouse, and the Post Office was run by Horace and Agusta Tabor.
Quote:
It's happy trails for Buckskin Joe, the replica Old West town in Colorado that served as a setting as for Westerns like "True Grit".

Owner Greg Tabuteau said Friday he's sold the tourist attraction near Canon City, along with the neighboring Royal Gorge Scenic Railroad.

He says the new owner plans to dismantle it and move it elsewhere in Colorado. He won't disclose who that is and isn't certain whether Buckskin Joe will remain open to the public or just be used as a movie set in its new location.

The town will remain open through Sept. 12, as first reported by the Pueblo Chieftain.

Tabuteau says he's selling partly because the summer season is shorter with school starting earlier. He also says he's ready to take a vacation himself.

<a href="http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/Top-Story.asp?ID=14541">Canon City Register</a> wrote:
Buckskin Joe saddles up with a new owner
Tourist attraction to be moved to a new location

Charlotte Burrous
The Daily Record

In the same way the westerns depicted the cowboy fading into the sunset, the town of Buckskin Joe and the Royal Gorge Scenic Railway are going the way of the Old West.
Owner Greg Tabuteau announced Wednesday he has sold both of the tourist attractions, Buckskin Joe, the nearby Royal Gorge Scenic Railway and the 806 acres of property that include and surround both businesses to a buyer, who wishes to remain anonymous.

The new owner plans to dismantle it and move it to a new location to be announced at a later date. The tourist attraction will be open until Sept. 12.

But Tabuteau said it was time to sell it because the State of Colorado does not promote tourism.

“It’s not like it was 20 years ago when August used to be just as busy as July,” he said.

Now, Tabuteau said, business drops off at about Aug. 10 because the youth go back to school.

“I come from Canada, and we had a winter business and a summer business,” Tabuteau said. “We don’t have a winter business here.”

Tabuteau said because of the short season, it’s hard to meet the expenses of running a business. New taxes that recently were passed for businesses to pay is another incentive to sell, he said.

Built in the manner of the old Buckskin Joe, Karol Smith, of Fremont County, kept the vision alive when he met Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer producer Malcolm Brown in 1957. Together, they joined forces to restore the original town in Fremont County.

They incorporated the help of Don Tyner, who served on the tourist committee of the Cañon City Chamber of Commerce. He acquired a piece of land adjacent to the Royal Gorge Park and built the Royal Gorge Scenic Railway, a miniature railroad, which began operating in 1957.

At that point, the men purchased original log structures from 50 to 100 years old, then moved them from historic mining districts, such as Cripple Creek, Victor and Sargents to set up the town of Buckskin Joe eight miles west of Cañon City, according to archives.

The men then began to offer a stage coach ride, which was patterned after the Wells Fargo coach, pulled by four matched horses. As the work continued, they added more buildings, such as an assay office, a boarding house, a sheriff’s office and jail, a blacksmith shop, a saddle shop and a photograph gallery.

Since the original owners set up the town as a tourist attraction, several others have operated it, including Greg and Judy Tabuteau, who purchased the Royal Gorge Scenic Railway in 1981 and the town of Buckskin Joe in 1985.

The town originally was designed as a movie set, where numerous movies were filmed, including “True Grit,” starring John Wayne, “White Buffalo,” featuring Charles Bronson and “The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox” with Goldie Hawn.

In August, “Cactus Creek” was filmed at Buckskin Joe during a two-day period.

But through the years, a majority of tourists have lost their fascination with the Old West, Tabuteau said.

“I love the Old West, but there’s only a small majority of us that still love the Old West,” he said.

So when the new owner approached him to sell it, Tabuteau agreed and signed the contract this week.

“It’s been 30 years,” he said. “My wife and I have had a good time.”

<a href="http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/Top-Story.asp?ID=14541">Canon City Register</a>

the Royal Gorge Scenic Railway operates along the canyon rim. This is a 3 mile loop ride on a scale model train. This is not the Railroad which is full scale, 'The Royal Gorge Route', and runs at the canon's base along the Arkansas River.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 3, 2010 3:19 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
brother in-law just got done filming a movie there

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 3, 2010 5:11 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
No! Oh my heart is broken! :thud: I remember running from one boardwalk to the other and falling on a nail. Still have the scar. Was the best visit ever. We used to watch the gunfights and go have a burger at the saloon. I'm going to see if I can get the kids down there before they close on the 12th. I'm so sad. I tell you, that is one of the reasons I love to learn about ghost towns and the history of Colorado. :crying:

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 16, 2010 8:40 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
What a blow for us here in Canon City... just breaks my heart to see it go. My son loved going there and riding to little railroad. We went last weekend for the last time. :(

Part of the appeal was the location up at the Royal Gorge where many of those western movies were filmed.

I wonder if they are taking Jesus (the honorary town mayor) along with all the other stuff?

(Town mayor being a very fat, lazy, old donkey - cutest little guy!)

What a treasure we are losing. I only hope the new owner opens up the town in it's new location for everyone to enjoy again.

Post subject: Re: Buckskin Joe, Canon City, up and moves
Post Posted: Jun 30, 2014 12:34 pm 
Just for the record, the "Undisclosed Buyer" moved the entire town to his own private ranch in Colorado.

That new owner is Bill Koch, brother to the KOCH brothers, billionaires each and founders of The Tea Party.

http://www.westword.com/2011-08-18/news ... ckskin-joe

Post Posted: Jan 25, 2018 10:26 am 
Through fb contacts I have found that the Koch brother who built his own frontier town at his ranch in Crawford, CO, has since torn it all down.

Where the heck are all the historic buildings he purchased? Were they just scrapped?

Post Posted: Jan 25, 2018 4:45 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Say it ain't so. Sad. The Slanting Floor Maze I could do without, but otherwise it is 1st rate Wild West. How about that giant slide in front of the KOA? So many fantastic fun adventures for kids were there. The whole scene was a blast; camping, a train ride right to the tippy edge of the gorge, mini golf, rafting and all day at Buckskin Joe's. We just visited the Royal Gorge last Monday. It was 17 degrees w/ 45 mile an hour winds, oh and foggy with heavy sleet. We went for Mr. Cushing's 8th grade history assignment. We walked out to the bridge, but not across. The wind was howling. Fascinating to
see it in extreme weather. Buckskin's back in the day was a real vacation that we'll always cherish. Gone but not forgotten.

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]