It is currently Oct 21, 2017 6:23 am 

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: The KGC and Colorado Gold
Post Posted: Oct 28, 2012 11:17 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
In Searching the history of the Reynolds Gang, I have found some very interesting things.

I will use whats known on the internet to show timeline and relative facts.
First it seems to have a good bit of evidence that Jim Reynolds was involved with the KGC.

George W. L. Bickley, a Virginia-born doctor, editor, and "adventurer" who lived in Cincinnati, founded the association.

The KGC was a group of men even before the civil war, that saw the change coming, since we already shipped slaves to ports outside of America like Haiti and other Caribbean ports, these guys wanted to put a fighting force together in the name of the south, And take some key country's as well as aliance with mexico possibly, To be outside the laws of the USA fighting the war for slavery and the changing atmosphere coming about it in the late 1850s.

Records of the K.G.C. convention held in 1860 state that the organization “originated at Lexington, Kentucky, on the fourth day of July 1854, by five gentlemen who came together on a call made by Gen. George Bickley

The South’s secession and the outbreak of the Civil War prompted a shift in the KGC's plans for Mexico to support of the new Confederate government.

On February 15, 1861, Ben McCulloch, Texas Ranger, began marching toward the Federal arsenal at San Antonio, Texas, with a cavalry force of about 550 men, about 150 of whom were Knights of the Golden Circle (KGC) from six castles.

As volunteers continued to join McCulloch the following day, the U.S. Army Gen. David E. Twiggs decided to surrender the arsenal peacefully to the secessionists.

In early 1862, Radical Republicans in the Senate, aided by Secretary of State William H. Seward, suggested that former president Franklin Pierce, who was greatly critical of the Lincoln administration's war policies, was an active member of the Knights of the Golden Circle. In an angry letter to Seward, Pierce denied that he knew anything about the KGC, and demanded that his letter be made public. California Senator Milton Latham subsequently did so when he entered the entire Pierce-Seward correspondence into the Congressional Globe.

Appealing to the Confederacy's friends in the North and border states, the Order spread to Kentucky as well as the southern parts of such Union states as Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, and Missouri.

It became strongest among Copperheads, people like Jessie James, And some of whom felt that the Civil War was a mistake.

Some supported slavery and others were worried about the power of the federal government. In the summer of 1863, Congress authorized a military draft, which the administration soon put into operation. Loyalist Leaders of the Democratic Party opposed to Abraham Lincoln's administration denounced the draft and other wartime measures, such as the arrest of seditious persons and the president's temporary suspension of the writ of habeas corpus.

In July 1864, Jim Reynolds and eight Confederate raiders launched the only invasion of the Colorado Territory during the Civil War. Their hope was to rob the gold mines of the area to help finance the Confederate cause.

Now he left Texas with around 22 men and arrived with 8, Did they split up to do more damage?. I cant say but knowing politics as I do, You can be sure if they came here for a reason they probably Did what they came for. Could they have went to different states to start chapters of the KGC?.

OK so what we have is the political and organizational time line, and some of the key players that were unnamed at this time.

Some of the 150 riders who attacked the federal garrison in 1861, Are the same men Jim Reynolds Brought back to Colorado as the first wave of the KGC attack on Colorado, The fact that Jim was killed, or not, no one knows for sure because of the way they say they carried out the execution.

Seems like it would be easy to take a archeology team out to the site and look for bones I guess.

Here is the account from Mrs shaw

"The ambulance containing the condemned prisoners followed the regiment down the Squirrel Creek road. After traveling a few hours Shaw noticed a little bluff that would conceal him from the regiment, so ordered Williamson to drive the ambulance back of the bluff. When the team stopped, he ordered the shackled prisoners out, then turning to Reynolds, he said, "Jim, you are supposed to be the captain of this company. I have your obligations where you were sworn to stay together until your bones bleached on the prairie."

Any way after they were killed or not I think they might have just let them go telling them if they came back they would die for sure., But who knows.

Now the next part of the story is about Jessie James, when he came into the KGC and there is little doubt that he was involved, People have proven it to me anyway.

After the war Jessie started robbing and hiding loot for the kgc underground treasure caches has been found following the trail left by cryptic clues used by the kgc and Jessie James seems to be the most profuse user of these symbols, scratched on rocks covered by moss for well over 100 years, people find the strange symbols in known hiding areas of the outlaws.

Jessie James. had a long time to do what Jim Reynolds didn't, He secretly fought a war against the united states for at least 16 years, or some say until his real death in 1934.

Though he died in Kansas in 1935, many of his descendants believe he was actually Jesse James, living incognito in Kansas after faking his death. Died under the name of J.M. JAMES.

I am from this area and the 4 states are connected, I may go to any or all 4 states in one day. From this area.

After all a KGC log book showing attendees Shows that Jessie James signed the log in 1926

The KGC Could Still Exist today as some other name.
Or So The story Goes.

Your odds of being a statistic is 100% <-(me)

If you cant think outside the box, you are Doomed to live inside it. <-(me)

A little less convenience a lot more world.<-(me)

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]