two free advertising topics per member allowed each week

Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: RIVER BEND RESTAURANT -WHAT HAPPENED
Post Posted: Jul 20, 2018 8:57 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Taranis wrote:
Interesting comments and a sad validation that we have become a society that seems almost eager to be offended, and condemn someone that was simply making a quoted reference.
All pakrat did was make a reference familiar in our culture and then complimented a new establishment in our community. Free speech, and exchange of perspectives and ideas is a great thing, so is humor. If you are so offended and angered by something so insignificant as a reference to a fictional character then I really feel sorry for you.

I'm certainly not offended or angry. I'm all for free speech and understood the reference. To many, its no big deal. I think my point is perfectly clear (perhaps it isn't). Try weaving Sandy Hook or Columbine into the conversation for the sake of humor and I think you'll get quite a different response instead of the, "Ho hum, Nazis again. Hah hah. Whatever." It won't translate very well. There are still quite a few people alive today who remember all-too-well the suffering endured at the hands of the Nazi regime. Look them in the eyes and feel sorry for them.

As to River Bend, I hope they're open this weekend. I may swing by and give them a try. But I'll skip the soup special.

Post Posted: Jul 20, 2018 1:28 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
mtree wrote:
Taranis wrote:
Interesting comments and a sad validation that we have become a society that seems almost eager to be offended, and condemn someone that was simply making a quoted reference.
All pakrat did was make a reference familiar in our culture and then complimented a new establishment in our community. Free speech, and exchange of perspectives and ideas is a great thing, so is humor. If you are so offended and angered by something so insignificant as a reference to a fictional character then I really feel sorry for you.

I'm certainly not offended or angry. I'm all for free speech and understood the reference. To many, its no big deal. I think my point is perfectly clear (perhaps it isn't). Try weaving Sandy Hook or Columbine into the conversation for the sake of humor and I think you'll get quite a different response instead of the, "Ho hum, Nazis again. Hah hah. Whatever." It won't translate very well. There are still quite a few people alive today who remember all-too-well the suffering endured at the hands of the Nazi regime. Look them in the eyes and feel sorry for them.

As to River Bend, I hope they're open this weekend. I may swing by and give them a try. But I'll skip the soup special.

I don't see the connection between a real world school shooting and a fictional character from a tv show who was not a Nazi, did not portray a Nazi, did not dress like a Nazi, but was simply referred to as such due to his nasty, unreasonable, controlling nature. I usually agree with most of your posts, mtree, you always seem pretty level-headed and fair, but the way people seem to make a huge issue over the most minute things these days is just getting ridiculous. No wonder so many people are angry and stressed out these days, I really DO feel sorry for people like that. It was a simple play on words which was coined during a very successful tv show by a guy who is, by the way, Jewish! The main point being Pakrat did not call anyone a Nazi, he only made a reference to a fictional restaurant character who treated his patrons poorly. I have no problem with a simple reference like that because I don't read any more into it, so, for all of you who have a problem with it, Lighten up, Francis! (wait, ...can I say that? or, did I just offend everyone named Francis, or the country of France, or...)

Post Posted: Jul 20, 2018 2:23 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Taranis wrote:
mtree wrote:
Taranis wrote:

I don't see the connection between a real world school shooting and a fictional character from a tv show who was not a Nazi, did not portray a Nazi, did not dress like a Nazi, but was simply referred to as such due to his nasty, unreasonable, controlling nature. I usually agree with most of your posts, mtree, you always seem pretty level-headed and fair, but the way people seem to make a huge issue over the most minute things these days is just getting ridiculous. No wonder so many people are angry and stressed out these days, I really DO feel sorry for people like that. It was a simple play on words which was coined during a very successful tv show by a guy who is, by the way, Jewish! The main point being Pakrat did not call anyone a Nazi, he only made a reference to a fictional restaurant character who treated his patrons poorly. I have no problem with a simple reference like that because I don't read any more into it, so, for all of you who have a problem with it, Lighten up, Francis! (wait, ...can I say that? or, did I just offend everyone named Francis, or the country of France, or...)

I'm not criticizing Pakrat. I don't have an issue with what Pakrat stated. I'm only bringing to the forefront what I believe is an overused, thoughtless, and ignorant term tossed about freely without any thought as to the actual historical context. Its not a play on words. Its a blatantly ignorant statement and was used EXACTLY as that in the Seinfeld episode. Hence, the humor in the skit. But, if you give it some thought, it does not translate to other situations.

This is the same attitude used by some who would freely toss around racist, anti-Semitic, and other insensitive names which were once accepted as commonplace. Hey, all, just lighten up. Its just the N-word!

I'm just agreeing with Red Hat and explaining the reasoning behind it. Sadly, too many people are clueless as to what the world endured and what actually happened under the Nazi regime. I have not. Nor do I think we should forget. Maybe I'm Jewish. Have you considered that, Francis?

Post Posted: Jul 20, 2018 2:34 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
This thread is about the Riverbend Restaurant, not off topic sensitive and perhaps political topics. Our expectation is that with this notice future posts will continue with updates and feedback on the restaurant. Keep this thread on topic.

Post Posted: Jul 21, 2018 1:32 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Here’s a play-by-play of my recent visit. Overall synopsis – I love it and am so glad they’re back! Details…

I went in around 7:30p; they’re open until 8:30p during the week. Lotsa cars, so took two books with me since I’ve heard of the very slow service. Went in and sure enuf, people waiting to be seated even tho the majority of the tables were empty. Went to sit & chat w/ some friends that were finishing up. Liked the food I saw, tasted the very rich, good chocolate cake, thought paying $0.40 for bottled water was a good idea, and chatted a bit. Not once was I acknowledged by the servers, which was kinda acceptable since I was in full view of those waiting to be seated.

Friends left, still people waiting, so asked if I could sit in the bar for a drink and maybe an appetizer. Hostess led me to the bar and announced my intentions. Odd, but I suspect this was her first job in a restaurant. Took a seat at a table and started to read a book. No recognition by the bartender, who also was tending to the entire patio. Found a menu and read it over. Same as I remember before – I want one of each!! VERY cheap prices, compared to other offerings in town, especially across town, which I’ve also heard is coming up w/ a new menu and higher prices soon. Anyhow, bartender came around, I asked about/ordered my drink, and asked if I could order from the menu or was restricted to appetizers. Absolutely not – whatever I wanted was ok.

So I ordered a small Sicilian pizza and salad and my drink, and proceeded to read. Drink was slow, but got there. Downpour started, so I switched tables for some drenched patrons. More wet people came in, including some friends to sit at the bar, so I gave up my little table and joined my friends at the bar. Bar lady said no problem I’ll change your location. Servers still couldn’t find me, but it’s a small place and I got my pizza. Got a non-Sicilian pizza, so asked. Server researched, and came back to say Sicilians don’t come in smalls, so they gave me the small Neopolitan. I checked it out, and sure enuf…Server very apologetic, but all good w/ me. And that was a small??? But, had to remind server that I needed my salad, which came out shortly. All very excellent tasting.

Friends had ordered some mushrooms and a salad then a medium Neopolitan pizza. Had to remind server of mushrooms, then salad immediately came out along w/ the small pizza. At least they were charged for the small and not the medium. Drinks came along much faster at the bar than the tables.

So, bar lady very slow and not good at taking/entering orders, but nice enuf once you had her attention. I left her a sizable tip (over 20%) and got no recognition at all, even when I asked her name. Hostesses very confused. Servers confused but very helpful. Lotsa growing pains still. I’ll check in again later next week to see if any progress made. I still love the food, I’ll just make sure I have something to read. If they are still rationing out tables I’ll sit in the bar and expect even slower/worse service. But to me eating out is a treat and I don’t expect perfection, so that makes it all the more okay. & with those prices – no complaints from me!! Just finished up my pizza 3 servings later, all for a total of $11.45??? I hope they raise their prices so they can stay in business and afford to pay for better help, if they can find it. But I’ll be back!!

Post Posted: Jul 30, 2018 6:33 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
took a friend from town there saturday. immediate seating, excellent service, prompt and correct orders delivered very timely - they're coming along!! friend also very impressed with food - couldn't even help me w/ my pizza. and i dunno - just finished off sicilian pizza today. think i hav a new favorite pizza joint!

Post Posted: Jul 31, 2018 8:38 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Geesh! I did not intend to start World War 3! I was only making a simple comment about how important it is for our local eateries to remember that we are a small but amazing mountain community and how we are treated ultimately dictates how well they will do! There have been too many restaurants that have not survived over the years and I feel it is not just the quality of food that affects their long-term success, but customer service is at play too!
I have been anxious to see River Bend reopen because I loved them before and now can't wait to try them again! And to see some current posts that are so positive is encouraging! I apologize if I offended anyone as that was not my intention (thanks Taranas, I really appreciated your comments)!

Post Posted: Aug 5, 2018 3:30 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I finally made it here yesterday for lunch! A friend and I decided it was time to give it a try and based upon some of the previous reviews I was excited to go! And I hate to say this, but what a huge disappointment! As we left, my dining partner commented "the only nice thing about our dining experience was being able to sit near the river"! Here's a recap and you can judge for yourself:

We walked in the door and got seated immediately out on the deck! Beautiful weather too! So far so good! Our waitress came by (she never bothered to introduce herself) and asked what we wanted to drink. And for you budget-minded water drinkers, it's bottled water and you will pay 40 cents for each bottle (she failed to mention that little tidbit). We got our menus and were trying to decide what we wanted when I thought that perhaps there might be a "lunch special" (she failed to mention that as well) and so I did ask and learned that there was! Oh goodie! And so yesterday's special consisted of a small side salad, a roll, a couple of chicken breasts covered with a layer of pepper jack cheese and sides of Penne pasta and of broccoli too. Everything was then smothered with a "very watery and flavorless" Marsala sauce! And even though it wasn't that busy when we first arrived, it still took over 15 minutes for our waitress to come by to even take our order and then another 30 minutes to get our food. Oh, for that someone who commented about "great prices", we certainly disagree as we paid a whopping $17.00 for this not-so-great lunch special. Neither of us finished our meals and neither of us requested a take-out box! Does that tell you anything? But here's the best part....the small side salads are served in these little white "cardboard" bowls! I thought that perhaps this was because we were seated outdoors on the deck and it was just a lunch that we were having, but upon inquiring we learned that even during dinner with indoor seating, you get a cardboard bowl! You've got to be kidding me!!! I happen to be one of those salad people who likes to cut up the lettuce into smaller pieces, but had difficulty doing that since my knife cut through the bottom of this flimsy bowl causing the dressing to leak out the bottom. Pretty surprising, huh? Even providing cheap plastic bowls would be an improvement!

So in a nutshell, we both thought that the food was overpriced, the quality was poor and the waitress could have been more helpful and attentive. When we asked what took so long to get our food, our waitress's only comment was that they suddenly got slammed and couldn't keep up! Gee, what did they expect for a weekend lunch crowd? And again, it wasn't that busy until we were ready to leave! They still need to work out some kinks and I really hope that they do! Especially since most people will give them one try and one try only! We both are long-time residents and were so disappointed that they don't seem to have their act together quite yet. And they have already had several weeks to figure out what needs improvement! I would suggest waiting a few more weeks if you plan on giving them a try! I have noticed that it has been two weeks since mtnhsmama gave their review and service doesn't seem to have gotten any better. I do wish them the best of luck and hope they will soon find their way!

Post Posted: Sep 7, 2018 3:18 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Wife and I stopped for early dinner last night. We were seated immediately, the waitperson {Cheryl) was very nice and attentive, but not overly so, and the food was excellent. We had mussels, fries, and the Sicilian Lasagna. The mussels were very, very good (and we've been to PEI). I see no point in griping about the bottled water (40 cents) or the effort to conserve by using paper plates for some things (like a place to put mussel shells). Seems like different people running the place, but I don't know. Hope they stay open this time!

Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12