It is currently Jul 23, 2019 2:59 am 

two free advertising topics per member allowed each week

Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 4, 2012 8:21 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
We went for a late lunch today. We usually wait till the kinks get worked out to try a new place, but I had been spring cleaning and the DH thought it would be nice to treat me.

We arrived a little after 1 pm and they were close to full. They have apparently been busy non-stop since opening. We were seated immediately and a server came by with fresh chips and salsa. The salsa was quite different than the gloppy vinegary stuff you get at many Amerimex places, not overly spicy but very tasty and more than enough heat. (The DH who has a 4 alarm palate, quite approved.) Our drink order was taken and served promptly.

We ordered guacamole salad as an appetizer, very large portion, fresh, homemade, delicious. It arrived promptly. We split the tacos al carbon, 4 small (double) corn tortillas filled with nicely grilled meat, onions, tomatoes, and served with beans and rice and two wonderful salsas. One tomatillo based and the other very spicy red. Despite our desire to split this meal and save room for some dinner at home later in the evening, we savored it all.

Our server did an amazing job, as she was also juggling a party of 12-15 people in the next room. Food and drink refills arrived promptly without asking. Not so good for neighboring tables with a different server...we observed one party whose entrees all came out at different times, and another party that had to ask repeatedly for drinks, chips, etc. I have a feeling that server won't be there too long.

The manager was around and about, helping with just about any task. They received their liquor license on Weds and opened on Thurs, and have been busy busy busy ever since -- they have just gotten onto the major "adult beverage" distributors lists and that accounts for the somewhat limited selection of beers and liquors. That will be remedied hopefully by next week. The manager states that he is very committed to providing a consistent dining experience -- so please make any problems with food or service known to him.

Overall -- I am going out on a limb here to say this is the best "mountain mexican food" I have had since Estrellita's was in Bergen Park where Le Peep currently is. Our particular meal was hands down better than 3 Margs; haven't been to Carreta Vieja in ages so can't compare this to that. Better than Bugling Bulls, though I have a soft spot for their owners. Better than many places down the hill, as well, and we have eaten at a good number of then, from the carnicerias on Federal to Los Carboncitos and El Tepehuan. If it remains consistent, they have gained our family's business. Good luck!!!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 4, 2012 10:19 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
mummydog wrote:

Overall -- I am going out on a limb here to say this is the best "mountain mexican food" I have had since Estrellita's was in Bergen Park where Le Peep currently is. Our particular meal was hands down better than 3 Margs; haven't been to Carreta Vieja in ages so can't compare this to that. Better than Bugling Bulls, though I have a soft spot for their owners. Better than many places down the hill, as well, and we have eaten at a good number of then, from the carnicerias on Federal to Los Carboncitos and El Tepehuan. If it remains consistent, they have gained our family's business. Good luck!!!

Now, THAT'S a review I can use. (See full post.) Thanks, mummy!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 5, 2012 7:10 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Wife and I went for lunch on Friday. Very good food, service and drinks. Another good option for us folks!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 6, 2012 11:51 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Sounds like the manager was aware of the "kinks" and worked to get rid of them. I wish them well.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 7, 2012 7:59 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
We were there over the weekend. They had the best chicken and shrimp fajita's !! Loved the salsa. We will be back ! :hugegrin:

Post subject: Los 3 Garcias
Post Posted: Mar 7, 2012 1:07 pm 
Anbody been there yet? Thoughts & opinions please.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 7, 2012 1:12 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Lively talk in the dining room:

<a href="http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=146560">New Mexican Restaurant thread</a>

http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=146560

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 7, 2012 1:27 pm 
Thank you for the great review! I was discouraged by some of the earlier posts.... aw dang it. Then read yours. Excited to try them again!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 7, 2012 7:05 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
All posts that have nothing to do with the review of this new restaurant have been removed. Please post your reviews of this new restaurant for all pinecammers to see. If you have a problem with the title of the thread, please contact the OP by PM.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 7, 2012 8:50 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
We had lunch there today.

The service was great and very attentive!

My wife had the enchiladas lunch special (one cheese, one chicken) which was very nicely priced at $5.99.

I had an $8 classic burrito with steak.

The chips were good, and the salsa was fine but not spicy enough for me (it was spiced for taste, but not hot at all).

Both our dishes were warm, but not as hot as we'd prefer. At least there were no cold spots.

My burrito was filled generously with steak, but in the first two bites there was gristle (had to spit one unchewable piece out). After that it was fine. The meat seemed marinated, but not spicy or real flavorful. I think it would be best with a hot sauce added (OK, I like spicy, but I'm just looking for medium spicy and the food didn't meet that). So it would be nice if they had a hot sauce on the side (that is truly hot). Maybe they do, but I didn't think to ask. It was our first time there.

My wife thought the enchiladas were OK, though no better than 3 Margaritas (but $1 cheaper).

So far as prices go, the dinner prices look similar to 3 Margs. The big issue is that 3 Margs has a pretty big variety of lunch specials at around $6.95 where Los 3 Garcias just offered one lunch special when we were there. So unless that changes, I think 3 Margs is a better value for lunch. Otherwise expect to pay around $8-$12 for lunch (unless you want the one special) which I think is on the high side up here.

They are new and we'll try them again.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 9, 2012 9:49 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Great food, terrible service. Will give them another shot.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 10, 2012 9:05 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
We went there last night, but the wait for tables was at least a 30 min wait or more, since my husband had to be somewhere 2 hours later, we opted to leave and go somewhere else. It seems like they are short on wait staff, but we love their food. We will be back - when we don't feel so rushed to be somewhere else. :hugegrin:

Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next