It is currently May 19, 2019 12:47 am 

two free advertising topics per member allowed each week

Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Time to eat....
Post Posted: Mar 10, 2012 1:09 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I want to wish the new mexican restaurant all the luck in the world. :woot:

We all can appriciate a new business opening up in our community.

As only ONE consumer that will ultimatley decide the sucess of that businesss I want to say, with all respect. We know how much work and money it takes to run a business and be successful. We also know that it takes dedication, drive, know how.

What I have experience in the community when it comes to new restaurants is over time they forget that hot food prepared correctly and served that way is important and cold food kept and served that way is also important. Not only for the health of their clients but is expected every time food is served to the public. :doh:

Service from the staff is a huge factor too. Polite, well trained wait staff is a must.

That is not alot to ask. I have had many fine meals in the area.
But I have had more than I care to count that that were not. Luke warm food, old looking food, dirty glass or utensils. And poor service. Some wait staff are so rude, do you dare ask for a clean fork or send your cold food back. I dare to say. No way!

When a restauranteur opens a new place I am sure these are all the things that they take serious. But the cooks and the staff have to be on the same page.

I know I am not the only one who feels this way in the community. :rant: I would rather cook for my family myself, know how long the food is sitting there, know the dishes and utinsils are clean than PAY to eat food that can make us sick or pay for rude, untrained waitstaff.

I never post anything like this. But come on. Maybe it's about time someone did. We are the consumer right? So speak up. :thud: [/b]

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 12, 2012 12:10 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
So we order lunch at least twice a week where I work and we always love new options. Today we decided to try Los 3 Garcias. Mixed review here.

The Chicken Tacos were great, until I found a short black hair in my taco. (EWWWW :barf: )
The chicken in the chicken fiesta salad (which wasn't what we ordered) was pretty bland.

When I called to place my order, I ordered 2 orders of chicken tacos and a grilled shrimp salad.

When we arrived to pick it up, there was only one order of tacos. We had to wait for the other order. (Not good for a busy office to be short handed while someone picks up food.) When we got back to the office we saw that we were given a fiesta chicken salad instead of a grilled shrimp salad.
The confusion may have been due to a small language barrier. (maybe?)

I will eat there again most likely, but not for a couple months. We'll let them get the kinks worked out. We love Carreta Vieja and will eat there when we crave Mexican food in the meantime.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 12, 2012 12:15 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
We tried to eat there last Friday night but we could not get anyone to let us know how long the wait was to get a table for at least 15-20 minutes. There were at least 8 people waiting ahead of us. They seemed to be very busy and the wait staff seemed overwhelmed. When we finally flagged down a waitress, we were told 15 minutes until we would be sitted and she put our names on a list. We waited another 15 minutes and still no one was sitted...so we left.

So on Sunday we decided to give them another try and stopped by for an early dinner. We were sitted immediately and their waitstaff was friendly and prompt. We were served their chips and salsa and we thought the chips were too salty and the salsa a bit mild. My husband had the beef tacos and I ordered the grilled fish tacos. My husb enjoyed the flavor of the beef tacos which was also served with rice and beans. I tasted the beans on my husband's plate and thought that had a burnt taste to them. The fish tacos were good but could have had more seasoning. I did not like that they served the fish tacos in a hard corn tortilla shell inside a soft flour tortilla. I would have preferred soft corn tortillas instead.

We thought the prices were decent and the quantity of their food was better than some of the other Mexican restaurants around here. We will give them another visit to try other items on their menu.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 17, 2012 8:07 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Got there around 7 PM last night. They were very busy but we waited only 5 minutes for a table. Server took our drink order right away and brought drinks (non-alcoholic) quickly. [Several tables around us had ordered margaritas and had to ask their servers multiple times to check on their drinks. Apparently the bar was running very far behind.] Chips and salsa also came promptly. IMO, not nearly enough salsa for the amount of chips (a second order costs $2) but it was tasty and different from standard chips and salsa.

The menu is standard American Mexican fare - nothing there you can't get at any of the other nearby Mex places. Prices are good - basically the same as 3 Margs and (my fave) Carreta Vieja.

I ordered a burrito and my 5-year-old ordered mac&cheese (go figure) with a fruit cup. It took about 50 minutes from the time we ordered for our food to arrive. In that amount of time, our server checked on us once (after around 40 minutes). The burrito was fine - pretty standard (except for the hard unidentifiable stem I got in one bite), but not served the way I ordered it. My son's food was barely warm (I appreciate a restaurant not serving piping hot food to a little kid but this had obviously been sitting around a while.) The fruit cup was one of those plastic lunch cups with the plastic cover on top which is fine for a kid but it was covered with mac&cheese so I had to clean it up before I could take the lid off (a minor irritation but irritating nonetheless). Overall the food was good but not at all worth the wait.

The wait staff seemed both overwhelmed and under-trained. These are mostly high school kids and I saw a lot of confusion, bickering among wait staff, and just general lack of focus on customer service. I saw a manager only once when a nearby table asked to speak to the manager (same issues everywhere - we were definitely not the only ones waiting).

If you go, ask to sit away from the doors. If you've been to any of the restaurants in that location you are probably aware of this but the 3 or 4 tables right in front of the doors get a blast of cold air anytime someone opens the doors. That is a problem with the building, not the actual business but it detracts from the dining experience so just something to keep in mind when you go.

So - I'd say give them a try but go when they're not busy. For my part, I'll happily drive right by on my way to La Carreta Vieja - always great food, great service, great value.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 17, 2012 6:51 pm 
We went there yesterday and we were seated promptly, though we were told to expect a delay in our meals.

Yes, there was (quite) a wait and the waitstaff was confused and forgetful though they were also friendly. Having worked in new restaurants in the past, including new chain restaurants, I wasn't terribly surprised by any of this. New restaurants and most other new businesses usually have growing pains and it can take a while to work out a few kinks and get the staff properly trained.

I also have to say that my friend and I were extremely pleased with what we ordered, which was a tamale plate for me and chimichangas for him. My dinner, in particular, reminded me a great deal of the sort of tamales I used to get in a very Mexican part of Houston when I was younger. Coming from a family that is part Mexican on my mother's side, this also struck me as being similar to one of the things we considered to be "good home cooking" (along with Southern food, barbecue and Jewish food). The only real difference was that my tamales had green chili instead of red. The margaritas we had (which, I believe, we called "habanero margaritas"), were extremely good with a little bite at the end of each sip. It was easily the best margarita I've had on the mountain.

It also seems like many of the dishes are more authentically Mexican than what you usually see in Colorado. (Beef tongue, anyone...?) Just because they have the burritos and enchiladas does not mean that this is what you have to order. The salsa and queso were also both quite good and very different than what I usually find up here. I only wish I had room for dessert.

I can definitely say, without a doubt, that this is now my favorite Mexican restaurant on the mountain and among my favorites in Colorado. We will most certainly be back.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 17, 2012 6:56 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Portions were good service was good but as far as mexican, it isn't. Don't know how you can mess it up but bland is bland. Maybe try again. No spices, and more like frozen mexican you buy at KS or Safeway.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 17, 2012 7:19 pm 
Aserenity wrote:
Portions were good service was good but as far as mexican, it isn't. Don't know how you can mess it up but bland is bland. Maybe try again. No spices, and more like frozen mexican you buy at KS or Safeway.

I spent quite a bit of time in Mexico when I was younger. The food I had there was anything but spicy, unless it was specifically catering to the Tex-Mex or New Mexico-Mex crowd, neither of which is truly Mexican. Mexican friends I have here tend to cook very differently than what I get at the restaurants, especially in Texas or New Mexico. Even then, what is considered "Mexican food" in Mexico can vary greatly from region to region. Food from the Yucatan is rarely like food from the border towns, which is also different than food from Oaxaca or Mexico City.

Coming from a family that had members born and raised in rural Mexico, the tamales I had yesterday were very similar to what I had growing up. Now, to be fair, I've only had that one meal there but I am willing to guess that more mainstream Colorado/Mexican dishes (ie, burritos, enchiladas, fajitas) are going to be toned down for Colorado tastes. Most of the tamales I've had in Colorado I wouldn't feed to a starving dog out of kindness, unless I take the time to make them myself. The tamales I had there were very similar to what I make and what I had while growing up in Texas, though again I'm more accustomed to red chili instead of green and my favorite way to eat tamales is usually right out of the husk.

Rather than paint the entire establishment with one broad brush while relying on generic insults, why not tell us what you had so we can better determine the merits of the restaurant. I can admit that while my dinner was very good and very authentic to what I had when I was younger, many other dishes might not be very good at all.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Mar 30, 2012 2:20 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
RenaissanceLady wrote:
Aserenity wrote:

I spent quite a bit of time in Mexico when I was younger. The food I had there was anything but spicy, unless it was specifically catering to the Tex-Mex or New Mexico-Mex crowd, neither of which is truly Mexican. Mexican friends I have here tend to cook very differently than what I get at the restaurants, especially in Texas or New Mexico. Even then, what is considered "Mexican food" in Mexico can vary greatly from region to region. Food from the Yucatan is rarely like food from the border towns, which is also different than food from Oaxaca or Mexico City.

Coming from a family that had members born and raised in rural Mexico, the tamales I had yesterday were very similar to what I had growing up. Now, to be fair, I've only had that one meal there but I am willing to guess that more mainstream Colorado/Mexican dishes (ie, burritos, enchiladas, fajitas) are going to be toned down for Colorado tastes. Most of the tamales I've had in Colorado I wouldn't feed to a starving dog out of kindness, unless I take the time to make them myself. The tamales I had there were very similar to what I make and what I had while growing up in Texas, though again I'm more accustomed to red chili instead of green and my favorite way to eat tamales is usually right out of the husk.

Rather than paint the entire establishment with one broad brush while relying on generic insults, why not tell us what you had so we can better determine the merits of the restaurant. I can admit that while my dinner was very good and very authentic to what I had when I was younger, many other dishes might not be very good at all.

RL - I couldn't agree more with you. We tried it for the first time yesterday and it was delicious! It was made with fresh ingredients, tasty with less salt than other Mexican establishments and the owner came by to see how everything was - I had not a single complaint! The service by the young servers was welcoming, helpful, delightful and downright friendly!

The food is not a typical Tex-Mex - I studied Spanish in Mexico for several years and the food is typical of authentic Mexican food - in other words.............TexMex without the Tex - I love the soft tacos and had the chicken soft tacos and they were made with white meat, fresh pico de gallo, soft and fresh corn tortillas and the salsa was authetic and flavorful without being salty.

I simply can't say enough about this new place - they have certainly raised the bar when it comes to authentic Mexican Food. I wish them well and will be returning as I have several selections to try in the months to come.

GREAT JOB LOS3GARCIAS!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 2, 2012 9:38 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I had a chance to try this place over the weekend. It wasn't too busy - late lunch - so we were seated quickly. Service was prompt and friendly throughout. The place is essentially the same decor as Cancun. The menu offers the usual assortment of Amerimex foods. So, I like to try a variety of basic things. As I always say, if a joint can turn out a decent red and green chili, most other things simply fall into place.

I ordered a chicken burrito and a pork tamale with green chili, along with a chicken enchilada with red chili. (Others chose cheese enchiladas, tacos, and chicken enchiladas.) First, the chips and salsa was offered up. Standard thin chips, but the salsa was rather tasty. It was a green salsa and had a nice bite. However, there was only about 2 tablespoons of it so we had to order more.

After about 10 minutes, the food arrived hot. The burrito was decent size and filled with ONLY chicken (light and dark meat). NO beans! The green chili was more of a thick sauce with bits of pork here and there. Typical of most places. Not alot of flavor - other than salt - and eventually congealed to an almost frosting-like consistency. Yukko. The enchilada was also filled with light and dark chicken. Smothered in a vivid neon red chili sauce which had some spice to it, but otherwise was thin and lacked any depth. Except for a couple knucklebones in the meat, it was tasty enough. Found a knucklebone in the burrito as well. Ptooey! On to the pork tamale. Hey, its a tamale! I've had better. I've had worse. Tamal is tamal. A filler. A carrier for what lies inside. The shredded pork filling was generous although nothing spectacular, lacking much spice other than salt. Too bad it was smothered in that green gravy.

The sides included the usual mexicali rice, industrial grade refried beans, and a scoop of lettuce/tomato mix. The rice was good. The beans...just a puddle of beans sprinkled with tasteless melted cheese-like substance.

Overall, nothing stood out one way or another. It was ok. Ho hum. Average Amerimex at best. No real surprises so folks will know what they're getting into. Prices were fair. Portions were adequate. Compared to the other joints up here, its almost on par with 3Margs and a couple notches below Carreta Vieja. Will I be back? Doubt it.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 3, 2012 6:37 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Mediocrity at best. Everything was 'ok'. Nothing really stood out. Service, food, etc...

Food was generally bland. And to clarify, I'm not talking about heat I'm talking about flavor.

Not saying I wouldn't ever go back. Just saying that I'm not too excited about it.

Meh.

Post subject: Terrible
Post Posted: Apr 9, 2012 8:22 pm 
New Poster
My husband and I both agree this place is terrible. The food was not good, the service was okay, overall not worth the money. Upon sitting down we were brought out chips and salsa, which being hungry we gobbled down. We were asked if we would care for more and said yes. Well they brought us more and charged us for them without informing us. I have never been to a mexican restaurant that charges for chips and salsa!! To top it off two of the waitresses were wearing very short skirts that I found to be inapporiate. Will never be back!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Apr 9, 2012 8:54 pm 
We were there on Saturday and it was great can not say enough about the wait staff.

The food was hot and tasted way yummy!!!!!!!!

We go to the place a Windy Point also way yummy!!!! but I will say there were some items I liked better here and both for me blow 3 Magaritas out of it.

It is all about taste and right on the menu it says you will be charged for the extra salsa so if you read the menu you know.

I give them a big thumbs up and I did not think the prices were any different than the two other places.

Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next