Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Brooks Tavern
Post Posted: Feb 17, 2018 2:19 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
mtree wrote:
laughter wrote:
I have noticed that there service and quality has also gone done. I was eating lunch one day and noticed the bartender cutting up limes, wipes juice on his jeans, pushed his hair back out of his face, then poured drinks, took cash and touched the registered and went back to cutting limes and never washed his hands.

The bartenders definitely need to step up their professionalism. Things have become a bit too relaxed in there. Plus they used to have amazing soup and the soup choices have gone away as well.

You're hilarious! When have you EVER seen a bartender wash his/her hands after handling cash or touching a register? They'd never get anything done. It's a BAR, not an ICU. Lighten up a little. Too funny.

...except you missed the first and last part regarding "cutting up limes, wipes juice on his jeans, pushed his hair back out of his face, then poured drinks,...and went back to cutting limes. I never really thought about it but I wonder what the norm is for bartenders regarding hand washing.

Post Posted: Feb 17, 2018 12:55 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
The correct procedure is to take payment from the customer, wash your hands, then put on gloves, then go back to cutting limes. The reason is because you have no idea where the customers hands, money, or credit card has been. The register you touched to ring in the sale is one of the most likely contaminated pieces of equipment in any business. Consider that the customer may have had the flu and just coughed into his hands for the last 30 minutes without a single wash of the hands. The customer then counts his cash and hands it to the bartender, the bartender now very likely has a live flu virus on his/her hands. Then the bartender goes back to cutting limes and spreads that flu virus to every single lime in the bar area. You come in and get a drink with a lime and leave with the flu.

Colorado Health code states.... What is described above is a direct critical violation of the health code. Weather this is common (it is) or not is not the correct question to ask.

*2-403 When to Wash
Food employees shall clean their hands and exposed portions of their arms immediately before
engaging in food preparation including working with exposed food, clean equipment and utensils,
and unwrapped single-service and single-use articles and:
A. Before leaving the restroom, and after returning to food and beverage preparation, food
storage, equipment storage and warewashing areas from using the restroom;
B. After coughing, sneezing, using a handkerchief or disposable tissue, using tobacco,
eating, or drinking;
C. When switching between working with raw foods of animal origin and working with
ready-to-eat foods;
D. After touching bare human body parts other than clean hands and clean, exposed portions
of arms;
E. During food preparation, as often as necessary to remove soil and contamination and to
prevent cross-contamination when changing tasks;
F. Before handling or putting on single-use gloves for working with food, and between
removing soiled gloves and putting on clean gloves;
G. After handling soiled equipment or utensils;
H. After caring for or handling any animals;
I. After engaging in any activities that contaminate the hands; and
J. After handling fish in aquariums, shellfish, or crustacea in display tanks.

Post Posted: Feb 17, 2018 1:06 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
crowhillcafellc wrote:
The correct procedure is to take payment from the customer, wash your hands, then put on gloves, then go back to cutting limes. The reason is because you have no idea where the customers hands, money, or credit card has been. The register you touched to ring in the sale is one of the most likely contaminated pieces of equipment in any business. Consider that the customer may have had the flu and just coughed into his hands for the last 30 minutes without a single wash of the hands. The customer then counts his cash and hands it to the bartender, the bartender now very likely has a live flu virus on his/her hands. Then the bartender goes back to cutting limes and spreads that flu virus to every single lime in the bar area. You come in and get a drink with a lime and leave with the flu.

Colorado Health code states.... What is described above is a direct critical violation of the health code. Weather this is common (it is) or not is not the correct question to ask.

*2-403 When to Wash
Food employees shall clean their hands and exposed portions of their arms immediately before
engaging in food preparation including working with exposed food, clean equipment and utensils,
and unwrapped single-service and single-use articles and:
A. Before leaving the restroom, and after returning to food and beverage preparation, food
storage, equipment storage and warewashing areas from using the restroom;
B. After coughing, sneezing, using a handkerchief or disposable tissue, using tobacco,
eating, or drinking;
C. When switching between working with raw foods of animal origin and working with
ready-to-eat foods;
D. After touching bare human body parts other than clean hands and clean, exposed portions
of arms;
E. During food preparation, as often as necessary to remove soil and contamination and to
prevent cross-contamination when changing tasks;
F. Before handling or putting on single-use gloves for working with food, and between
removing soiled gloves and putting on clean gloves;
G. After handling soiled equipment or utensils;
H. After caring for or handling any animals;
I. After engaging in any activities that contaminate the hands; and
J. After handling fish in aquariums, shellfish, or crustacea in display tanks.

THANK YOU for letting us all know the correct procedure. As far as the person that said "lighten up" - you're wrong. These places should "tighten up" on these procedures! They sure can get things done by following the rules.

I quit going to Brooks years before moving from there for other reasons but if I had seen this.......it would have been my last visit. Thank you crowhillcafellc for enlightening us!

Post Posted: Feb 17, 2018 4:44 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Health codes, best practices, and reality are 3 circles that barely intersect in the bar business. Things don't work quite the way you may like. Did you know your bartender just squeezed a lime in your drink without washing his hands? Did you see her carry those drinks to the waitress without washing her hands after cashing out the previous customer? He just changed the channel on the TVs and didn't wash after touching the remote! I think I spotted her putting straws in your drinks after pushing aside her long hair...again with her bare hands! He wiped down the bar with a damp towel that's been sitting on the rail for an hour and used it over and over again. And I just saw your server sneeze while carrying your food to your table.

All you germophobes can stay home while I enjoy my time at Brooks. Limes, hair, beer, and all. It doesn't really bother me. If you're worried about getting sick please don't touch the door handles, glassware, or utensils. And don't dare touch the salt shakers, ketchup bottle, or your chairs. They've all been touched by human hands that may be spreading all kinds of cooties. You crack me up.

Post Posted: Feb 17, 2018 6:02 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Sorry

Last edited by crowhillcafellc on Feb 17, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Feb 17, 2018 6:16 pm 
crowhillcafellc wrote:
Sorry, Mtree, but you are mistaken. These things should be and are taken seriously by responsible owners of restaurants, we are expected to protect public health and safety as much as we can. Things like glassware, door handles, utensils, salt shakers, ketchup bottles and chairs (especially high chairs" should be sanitized daily if not more. Just because you are not there when it happens, does not mean that it doesn't happen. Many respectable restaurants do this sort of thing every single day. These are just the sort of things that are on our closing list. I have worked in many bars and restaurants, and the good ones do this regularly and the managers ensure that it happens.

Thank you again for emphasizing the importance of this and it has nothing to do with being a germophobe - it has to do with common cleanliness.

Post Posted: Feb 17, 2018 6:23 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
sorry

Last edited by crowhillcafellc on Feb 17, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Feb 17, 2018 9:30 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Many of the Park County places would get an F in my opinion.

Post Posted: Feb 17, 2018 10:12 pm 
... just came from brooks.... feel okay so far.... 8O

Post Posted: Feb 18, 2018 11:55 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
My point is some folks overthink things. There is common sense and common cleanliness and the reality of functioning in a bar or restaurant environment. As long as the staff is at that level of maintenance, I'm good with it.

Post Posted: Feb 19, 2018 10:39 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I have only been to Brooks once last summer for family dining and while the server was friendly the service was very slow. More importantly though we were very un-impressed with the menu selection and prices so we have not been back since. It will be interesting to see, if as one poster stated, Brooks plans on changing their menu. That being said, if I were to go to Brooks by myself for the sport bar scene I probably would not hesitate to do so.

Post Posted: Feb 19, 2018 12:32 pm 
Brooks changes their menu every 6 months. Their newest menu comes out tomorrow the 20th.

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next