It is currently Nov 17, 2018 8:39 am 

two free advertising topics per member allowed each week

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Restaurants -- An Open Thread
Post Posted: Aug 27, 2016 11:17 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I bought my cabin on Deer Creek in 1985 and would frequently stop at the W-O-W. Really liked the place, good food, good value. Too bad it is no longer available.

Post subject: Best pizza?
Post Posted: Jan 23, 2017 2:46 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
we need another Restaurant, went to Crossroads, and for the 3rd time have been turned away or had to leave because wait for food was 45mins to 1hr,
I understand that they make more money doing liquor, then just state that, you don't know how many people walked away, many asking us as locals where they can get food to eat, sad so sad. DWS closes to early, Brooks same old menu, Aspen Perks gross,Rustic same games.
Cut throat is still good, burgers are good.
I don't understand what's happening, my parents ran the Cafe' at Pine Junction for many years, way back when. Good home cooked meal.

Post Posted: Jan 24, 2017 12:24 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Agree we can always use more restaurants ( still hoping Riverbend Cafe reopens soon) but the ones who have been around for a Long time usually means they are doing more right than wrong. None of them are perfect but we actually enjoy all the ones you reference, with the exception of Cut Throat, which we honestly never go to because the food has never appealed to us. All the others serve a great community purpose and good food at reasonable prices. Brooks Tavern has changed their menu over time so I don't see it as the same old food. A newer addition to our frequented places is the Shaggy Sheep, which always sticks to their advertised open hours and serves very nice food. They are soon expanding to dinner a few nights a week and will have a liquor license so that will be one more option for us to frequent. I lived in very large cities most of my life and frequented many of the finest restaurants, frequently. I do not miss them. It was a wonderful trade off for both my husband and myself to move and live in such a beautiful area, VOID OF MAJOR TRAFFIC, yet with still a few good places to eat. All of them have room for improvement but let's just be glad we HAVE these places that have managed to stay in business and serve those of us who live here.

Post subject: Re: Best pizza?
Post Posted: Jan 24, 2017 3:48 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
LLAMALAD wrote:
we need another Restaurant, went to Crossroads, and for the 3rd time have been turned away or had to leave because wait for food was 45mins to 1hr,
I understand that they make more money doing liquor, then just state that, you don't know how many people walked away, many asking us as locals where they can get food to eat, sad so sad. DWS closes to early, Brooks same old menu, Aspen Perks gross,Rustic same games.
Cut throat is still good, burgers are good.
I don't understand what's happening, my parents ran the Cafe' at Pine Junction for many years, way back when. Good home cooked meal.

My first job was at the Pine Junction Grocery and Cafe back in the early 70's. I think the woman's name I worked for might have been Betty. Any relation?

Post Posted: Jan 24, 2017 6:43 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Betty McClane?
She had the cafe in the late 70's
She was a great lady. She then went over to Jigger Junction and cooked there for years.

Post Posted: Jan 25, 2017 9:23 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Don't go out to eat often, but every time at Crossroads has been very good.

Post Posted: Jan 27, 2017 11:13 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
My husband and I went there for his birthday and were told to sit where ever we wanted so we did. Never even order any drinks or anything.... no one ever came to table after sitting there for 20-30 minutes completely in site of all waitresses.

Post Posted: Jan 27, 2017 11:23 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
We had the Cafe' from 1977 to 1980, before that Nana Perkins owned it. Then my parents had it, it was their dream, it did pretty well, my dad started the VFW post in Bailey, Lambert, Wright and Roy. He had the gun shop where the cut throat is now.
I do like the wing wagon, but not if your in a hurry.

Post Posted: Jan 27, 2017 3:11 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
aintjalo wrote:
Betty McClane?
She had the cafe in the late 70's
She was a great lady. She then went over to Jigger Junction and cooked there for years.

I remember now, it was Betty McLean. It was 1973. She gave me my first job. Betty made home made pies which were very popular. Also, Pine Junction Cafe had the best pancakes! Yum!

Post Posted: Jan 27, 2017 4:52 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
That's her She was a wonderful woman. We lost touch. :(
She was a ball to work with and tease! Her pies were fabulous!

Post Posted: Jan 28, 2017 10:47 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
We loved will of the wisp. It was old, quaint old mountain atmosphere. Food was good, not great, but good enough.

Post Posted: Jan 29, 2017 8:59 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
All this talk of the old restaurants makes me hungry for the OLD Red Rooster. The one Jack and Mary had. Mary was French trained and was a member of the Chaîne des Rôtisseurs and Jack was a trained sommelier. They closed the restaurant for a month every summer to go back to France for training and took their sous chef with them.

Every Thursday night during the winter they served a five course banquet style prix fixe dinner with a wine paired for the course included in the cost. It was in the winter only and always on Thursday night because Mary wanted the dinner to be primarily for locals and not dominated by a lot of tourists. There weren't very many people here at that time and we were fairly spread out so it was a great was to see other locals over an exceptional meal.

At the time I was a single dad of a couple of teens and Thursday night was my night out.

"Stand By Me"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPzU75P9FA

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next