It is currently Jul 19, 2018 10:30 pm 

two free advertising topics per member allowed each week

Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Aspen Perk Breakfast House (Merged Topics)
Post Posted: May 27, 2017 5:20 pm 
New Poster
Went there this morning and I was unsatisfied with my experience. I've ate there before with adequate service and decent food with what use to be decent prices. BUT, today I got the Perk skillet dish and our waitress asked if I wanted gravy or chili on it, so I picked gravy, however the waitress did not make me aware they charge a whole three extra dollars just to drop a little gravy on it. So what started out as an 8 dollar dish ended up costing 11 dollars, just a dollar short of their chicken Fries steak. I was watching what I spent, but if I'd known it would have costed the same as their most expensive breakfast dish, I would have just got that instead. In addition I got tea, and was never offered a refill even though by glass got very low. Not sure if I'll be going back for breakfast anyway. Their buy one, get one drinks at happy hour seem cool even though I havnt been by for a drink yet. Just wish they didn't have a bunch of hidden fees. Waitresses there need to make customers aware of hidden charges.

Post Posted: May 27, 2017 5:44 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I WILL NEVER GO BACK!!!!!!!!

TRY THE SHAGGY SHEEP RESTAURANT IN GRANT!
BEST MEAL ON THE 285 HWY!!!!!!!!!

Post Posted: May 27, 2017 7:57 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
QuietOne wrote:
Went there this morning and I was unsatisfied with my experience. I've ate there before with adequate service and decent food with what use to be decent prices. BUT, today I got the Perk skillet dish and our waitress asked if I wanted gravy or chili on it, so I picked gravy, however the waitress did not make me aware they charge a whole three extra dollars just to drop a little gravy on it. So what started out as an 8 dollar dish ended up costing 11 dollars, just a dollar short of their chicken Fries steak. I was watching what I spent, but if I'd known it would have costed the same as their most expensive breakfast dish, I would have just got that instead. In addition I got tea, and was never offered a refill even though by glass got very low. Not sure if I'll be going back for breakfast anyway. Their buy one, get one drinks at happy hour seem cool even though I havnt been by for a drink yet. Just wish they didn't have a bunch of hidden fees. Waitresses there need to make customers aware of hidden charges.

I'm not trying to defend the restaurant, but chili and gravy is on their menu as a BREAKFAST A'CARTE:

Quote:
51. GREEN CHILI OR GRAVY$3.00

Sometimes we need to take responsibility rather than deflect the issue given adequate information available on the menu. The lesson learned is to ask the obvious if there is any additional charge. Ya never know. It was not hidden charge. Sorry you had this issue.

Post Posted: May 28, 2017 8:00 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
The hidden charges are when you want coleslaw with a sandwich that comes with fries. $1 extra just to change the side. Even though other sandwiches on the list come with coleslaw. It's arbitrary which ones get what side. The cash register automatically adds the "change charge" and we always complain. If you'd rather have fries instead of soup with the heavenly grilled cheese, you pay extra. The hidden charge with the skillet is they offer the green chili and gravy to smother the skillet, but I do not believe it's an additional $3.
The one that surprises me most is the spinach and mushroom omelette with Swiss cheese. $14 compared to $11 or $12 for meat filled omelettes. Complaining does no good so we do go to other places now. Aspen Perk is a very occasional destination and we know what we're getting if we have a few extra bucks. We actually got yelled at one time by the waitress for complaining. Now we ask first.

Can'T help but notice it"s not as busy as it once was. Wonder if springing charges on people has something to do with it.

Post Posted: May 28, 2017 2:36 pm 
New Poster
watermanofevergreen wrote:
QuietOne wrote:

I'm not trying to defend the restaurant, but chili and gravy is on their menu as a BREAKFAST A'CARTE:

Quote:
51. GREEN CHILI OR GRAVY$3.00

Sometimes we need to take responsibility rather than deflect the issue given adequate information available on the menu. The lesson learned is to ask the obvious if there is any additional charge. Ya never know. It was not hidden charge. Sorry you had this issue.

If I wanted to pay 3 bucks for gravy or chili I would expect a decent portion not just a scoop on top of my meal. I just don't see how any place can justify three dollars, (1/3) of the original meal price just for a scoop of gravy. Gravy doesn't cost that much. And between myself and the person I went with, we paid six dollars for two scoops of gravy. Not ok. If it's a'carte then they should have given it to me in a bowl separately.

Post Posted: May 29, 2017 7:15 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
When I ask for a side of gravy, it does come in a cup the size of a cup of soup. The waitress should have told you there would be a charge and.... I do split a side of gravy with another. It is plenty for two.
When we complain to the waitstaff, we get an embarrassed "Yeah, We know. Everybody complains. I'll talk to the owner but there's nothing we can do."

Hence, complaining on social media.

Post Posted: May 29, 2017 10:17 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
HandyManBill wrote:
I WILL NEVER GO BACK!!!!!!!!

TRY THE SHAGGY SHEEP RESTAURANT IN GRANT!
BEST MEAL ON THE 285 HWY!!!!!!!!!

OK!!!!! (But please stop yelling at us!)

Post Posted: May 29, 2017 11:13 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
mommyp wrote:
When I ask for a side of gravy, it does come in a cup the size of a cup of soup. The waitress should have told you there would be a charge and.... I do split a side of gravy with another. It is plenty for two.
When we complain to the waitstaff, we get an embarrassed "Yeah, We know. Everybody complains. I'll talk to the owner but there's nothing we can do."

Hence, complaining on social media.

This is what the restaurant business has come down to (unfortunately).

I would hope the waitstaff would feel comfortable in forwarding on to the manager what "everyone complains" about.
I think most customers just want honest pricing - whether it is high/low or something in-between. In this case with the gravy/chili add-ons - what makes the most sense is to put the price on the individual item (e.g. "entree 1 - $8, ($3 extra for gravy/chili)" or clearly marked in the heading for multiple items (e.g. breakfast menu).
I do agree that $3 for gravy seems atrocious but even worse is the fact that a customer did not know they were paying for a $3 add-on. If I was the manager in this case I would comp the customer the gravy and not lose the customer. In this brutal restaurant environment, lost customers means the impending death of the business. It has happened MANY times previously around here!

Post Posted: May 30, 2017 11:37 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Complain all you want, but you SHOULD have known it would be an extra cost. It's the most common restaurant hook in the book. Upsell. Most servers are taught to upsell. "Can I get you started with some chips and salsa?" "Do you want that smothered?" "Would you like to add a side salad?" "Would you like small, medium, or large?"

C'mon folks.

Post Posted: May 30, 2017 11:17 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
mtree wrote:
Complain all you want, but you SHOULD have known it would be an extra cost. It's the most common restaurant hook in the book. Upsell. Most servers are taught to upsell. "Can I get you started with some chips and salsa?" "Do you want that smothered?" "Would you like to add a side salad?" "Would you like small, medium, or large?"

C'mon folks.

I think we all realize that restaurants upsell there stuff. There are good and bad ways to do that.
The bigger problem here is:

mommyp wrote:

When complaints are handled like this then the customers - and the waitstaff - are not happy and nothing good will come out of it for the restaurant.

Post Posted: May 31, 2017 10:05 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I've taken the stance to let the establishment be another casualty. There's not a restaurant up here that I'd go out of my way to visit anyway. They're all average or below average. No biggy. I figure the more often they turn over the better the odds something extraordinary will open.

Think about this...Chili's was probably the best place up here since the Platte Canyon(?) closed.

Post Posted: May 31, 2017 12:13 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
mtree wrote:
Think about this...Chili's was probably the best place up here since the Platte Canyon(?) closed.

Not even close ... but that is a matter of opinion, not fact.

Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next