livestock for sale or wanted in the Corral Classified Ads subforum

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Equine feed of choice?
Post Posted: Jan 10, 2014 9:37 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Good Morning!

My "new" horse has been on a feed brought back from Arizona for quite some time and I had hoped to keep her on it, but I'm not sure it will be a realistic option for the future. The stuff is magical- it's called Integrity Low Starch Timothy and has NO alfalfa in it (http://www.starmilling.com/Products/Equ ... 0Sheet.pdf). I wish they'd ship it out here, but I've been forced to research an alternative feed until that blessed day.

The alternative I found and have ordered for when I run out is called Progressive Nutrition Premium Performance-8 Pellet: (http://www.prognutrition.com/premiumper ... rmula.html). Seems close, but not quite there. I realize that horses have different individual needs, but was hoping you could share your feed of choice that can be found locally in the event this doesn't "wow" me.

Thanks in advance.

"Conifer: The Movie" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwGneGjOSG0&feature=plcp

Post subject: Re: Equine feed of choice?
Post Posted: Jan 10, 2014 10:52 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
How is it "magical"? The ingredient list is nice!

Post Posted: Jan 10, 2014 11:19 am 
My horse is GLISTENING even with a bit of a winter coat and couldn't look better. Good attitude- not hot. I just really love the stuff. I keep getting compliments on how lovely she is and I attribute much of it to good diet.

I only hope my switch won't be too far off from the brand I like, so any alternative suggestions are welcome.

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2014 10:39 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I have fed Progressive feeds and Balancers and they are wonderful for my horses (Andalusians, TB Warmblood) I was driving to Wheatridge, Walkers Cage and Feed to get. I had a hay analyses at the Horse Expo last year, Triple Crown Feeds were doing. The rep told me that Progressive and Triple Crown are now made the same and both in the same facility. I can buy Triple Crown Complete and 30 Supplement in Kittridge, Canyon Tack & Feed. Have had equal success. Not familiar with the brand from AZ, but both Progressive and Triple Crown, in my opinion is fabulous.

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2014 11:34 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I have my hard keeper TB mare on straight Timothy, a vitamin supplement, mineral supplement, Vitamin B complex and Coolstance (a coconut oil based grain that is low NSC and is a "cool" energy source). She is keeping her weight on and looking shiny and healthy.

http://www.stanceequine.com/product-coolstance-copra

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2014 12:09 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
My big mare (TB/Irish draught) has PSSM and soy intolerance so my feeding strategy is a bit different than most.

I feed my mare the same thing that's in the integrity just separately and without the soy. She gets Timothy pellets, omega grand complete (flax base with multi vitamins and probiotics) BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds...for extra fiber and fat for PSSM) and soaked beet pulp at night (no molasses or additives), and she gets vitamin e for the PSSM as well.

**edited to add...avsgirl...I just checked out the cool stance and I might have to order some! My mare needs more oil for the PSSM, but my choices were so limited because if the soy additives. Thanks!!

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2014 12:30 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Wanted to add to the original poster...

Two more readily available feeds that get overlooked because their parent companies market them to high end performance horses only *eye roll here*

Nutrena XTN and Purina Ultium. Both are beet pulp based, lower NSC, have added fat and vitamins and 11-12% protein. Of the two I prefer the Nutrena XTN (sometimes called Farr XTN) because my horses have always found it more palatable and because they put a few extra things in (more vitamin e and biotin). Both are available locally, although the XTN can be harder to come by. Murdochs carries it, but not big R although the latter told me they could order it.

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2014 4:20 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Ranch way feeds used to make the triple crown .they have a line called defiance feeds this could meet your needs it is at Bailey depot they can order in what you may need.

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2014 7:53 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I love Triple Crown feeds. My boys are older, so they need the extra. I've been feeding a combo of Chaffhaye, Triple Crown Senior, Equipride, and a little grass hay. The boys look amazing!

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2014 7:56 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I second Coolstance Copra. I fed it to my TB mare along with their Powerstance. I added Equipride and Timothy pellets. I love that it adds a little more water to her diet especially during winter. She held great weight and her coat was always silky and glossy. She had dapples every winter :-) Love the stuff! Woofs 'n' Hoofs on Ken Caryl carry it.

"You can tell a horse owner by the interior of their car. Boots, mud, pony nuts, straw, items of tack and a screwed up waxed jacket of incredible antiquity. There is normally a top layer of children and dogs." Helen Thompson

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2014 10:23 pm 
Loritfp wrote:
I was driving to Wheatridge, Walkers Cage and Feed to get.

That's actually who I ordered it from and it should be in next week. I bought a bag to mix in with the last of the Integrity feed for a smooth transition.

Based on what I've read from everyone's posts and online research, the same brand names seem to appear over and over again. Thanks for the information everyone. Those sound like great leads.

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2014 10:56 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Heading to woofs and hoofs tomorrow myself :)

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next