Please place your classified ad for livestock related services or supplies or
livestock for sale or wanted in the Barnyard Classified Ads subforum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: WARNING! 2 llamas killed by mountain lion-Richmond Hill area
Post Posted: Jun 11, 2019 9:14 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
My two llamas were killed by a mountain lion. We're in the area of Richmond Hill/Amy Cir in Conifer. The first was found dead on Sunday morning. It was an older llama, probably around 18. The vet didn't think it was a mountain lion attack but that scavengers had been at it. The body couldn't be removed until the next morning. I found the second one dead from what was clearly a mountain lion attack the next day. The cat had returned and ignored the first body and killed the other llama. These were both large males. I had contacted the place I had gotten them from (we had had them 11 years) to take the second one there as llamas shouldn't be kept alone. I didn't know it was a mountain lion attack at the time. But he was killed first.

I just wanted to let other livestock owners to be aware of the threat so they don't make the same mistake I did.

Post subject: Re: WARNING! 2 llamas killed by mountain lion-Richmond Hill
Post Posted: Jun 11, 2019 12:04 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Wow. So sorry. That's scary that a larger animal would be a target. Seems like we always hear about dogs. Please stay safe. Is Division of Wildlife helping?

Post Posted: Jun 11, 2019 12:48 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Oh, man! So, so sorry.

I may not have gone where I intended to go
but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Post Posted: Jun 11, 2019 4:46 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
wow, that is some big bad lions to take down a llama. I am so sorry for your loss. Do you put them up at night?

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Jun 11, 2019 6:13 pm 
Warning. Graphic things ahead.

I have talked to the Wildlife officer but I don't think they are going to do anything. I'm not sure I'd want them to. The mountain lion was doing what is natural for it. I may hate the outcome but I can't fault the mountain lion. Interestingly, the officer, said he didn't think the first one was killed by a mountain lion even though they died within a day. According to the officer, a mountain lion will always start with the organs, try to hide the kill, and return to it to eat again. All 3 happened with the second one and none with the first. It didn't return to the first one which was about 50 yards from the second and simply covered with plastic tarp, it didn't try to hide it, and it looked more like a fox or coyote and birds had been at it. The body recovery service could not come out until this morning for the second one. I went out with him and the cat had been back and had spent even more time trying to hide it. And, this seems very weird, there was a 6"x24" piece of aspen bark laying on top. Which came from an aspen that was taken down and a good 40 feet away. Very strange.

And no, they were not put up at night. A mountain lion taking down a large male llama is highly unusual. They are used as guard animals for flocks of sheep and goat. And there had been 2 of them. They've been here for 11 years so plenty of mountain lions would have seen them over that time and never went after them. But one thing I think may have contributed to it, I took them both in to get sheared at a shearing clinic at the vet one week before. I had normally sheared the one with a "barrel cut" where just the main body is sheared. The front/rear/neck area is untouched. The other one had never been sheared because his coat was much shorter and finer. This time, they were completely sheared. And how much smaller they looked was shocking. They were between 350-400 lbs but they looked so much smaller. I wonder if that contributed to the cat thinking they were vulnerable?

Post Posted: Jun 12, 2019 6:22 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
itsme, I am so sorry for your losses, no matter the cause.

Hard to imagine a single lion taking down the llamas, but a small group of 2 or 3 would have no trouble at all.

I'm grateful that we have mt lion in our area. I just wish they would stick with the deer and leave our livestock & pets alone. But yeah, you can't blame them for doing what is natural to them. We all gotta eat.

Post Posted: Jun 12, 2019 7:45 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Mt. Lions can take down an 600-700 pound Elk, so I'm sure it can manage a Llama. Especially if there are 2-3 in a pride of Mt. Lions.

Post Posted: Jun 12, 2019 8:20 am 
One of my llama's, young one got attacked by mountain lion, but she escaped only to be shot by a would be poacher, they were aiming at the deer that was standing there by water tank in pasture. Couple years ago there was someone that lost 2 llama's to a mountain lion, poor guy was burying one and when he came back lion had attacked and killed his second one, so sad. I have had my llama's for 18 yrs up here. My female is Bolivian heavy wool, close to 500 lbs, my male is Peruvian light wool, he maybe weights 350 lbs, they can run fast when being chased, same as a deer. My female took on a bear many years ago, she was protecting her baby, after they tangled in front yard, she went over fence and ran 5 miles away to lead the bear away. Llama's have a really loud voice when being attacked or stressed. Female sounds like a really loud bird chirping, and male sounds like a donkey. So it does happen, horses at Centaur farms had been attacked by mountain lion many many years ago. If there is a will there is a way. My llama's are protection guard llama's, nothing goes in my corral not even bunnies, they will attack, they are coyote kills, I did have my males fighting teeth removed many years ago when he was playing with my horse almost lost an ear.

Post Posted: Jun 12, 2019 11:48 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
We have also lost livestock to mountain lions and are in the Richmond Hill Road area, closer to the highway. Last fall, a friend in Morrison lost a 17H horse to a mountain lion and their neighbor was attacked by a cat when he came upon one killing his pet goat (behind a 10' fence). It is my understanding that since last fall, the wildlife officers have taken care of at least 4 cats just in the Richmond Hill area. "They are everywhere" is what I was told.

We have LGDs, hot fences, double fences, open space that has to be crossed to get to the barn and put animals in the barn at night - cat still got past all of that and into the barn for the kill. The wildlife officer was a bit surprised the attack happened because of the steps we had taken to secure our livestock, however, he did say the cats have become de-sensitized to our protective measures and have learned that it is easier to kill pets and stock than wild deer. Then they pass that knowledge onto their offspring when teaching them to hunt. Officer also told us the killing of livestock is considered a public safety threat. The only suggestion he had for us was to put a radio in the barn and put up motion lights.

Post Posted: Jun 12, 2019 1:25 pm 
Yeah we had a baby Mountain lion they told us same thing music playing lights on and it didn't work, the DOW guy from Evergreen even hit her in the head with rock and was so sure she would not return, but within the hr she was back watching me grill on back deck. She walked right past the radio and lights to try to get in steel crate for the baby turkeys, we shot around her feet thankfully that worked.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]