It is currently Aug 17, 2019 8:47 am 

Please place your classified ad for livestock related services or supplies or
livestock for sale or wanted in the Barnyard Classified Ads subforum

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: VET CORNER: Ask a local Veterinarian....
Post Posted: Jan 15, 2008 8:46 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Dr. Ashleigh Olds of Aspen Creek Large Animal Clinic has agreed to answer questions here regarding the care and well-being of your livestock and horses. (Thank you, Dr. Olds!)

Please remember that she can not advise on specific medical advice without a client-patient relationship (And that is not what this forum is for), but she is willing to field generic horse care questions and direct people to more complete care in more serious situations.

So ask your questions and Happy Horse Health (and ALL livestock) to each of you!

~Border Patrol
Pinecam Moderator

Post subject: new vet forum
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2008 8:36 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I would just like to thank the moderators at pinecam for asking me to participate in this new forum. I would be more than happy to answer general questions about vaccines, deworming, housing, buying, selling, feeding, breeding, new products and therapies, etc, etc.

I need to re-iterate that I cannot answer questions like: "My horse has symptoms x, y, and z, what should I do?" Legally I cannot dispense specific medical advice without a client-patient relationship and it would be unfair to try to diagnose and treat conditions via the Internet. I cannot emphasize enough the value of a good working relationship between you and your veterinarian. However, if you do have more specific questions, please feel free to PM me and I will do my best to get you headed in the right direction.

Thank you,

Ashleigh

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2008 8:44 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Question: (I think this fits into what is ok to ask.)

What is your opinion of the Born to Win supplement for easy keepers? Package reccomends 1-2 pounds daily for easy keepers, horses used for light work.

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Post subject: born to win
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2008 9:44 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Gravity GirL:

I have no personal experience with the born to win product, but in general Purina has a good line of supplements and grains. From my understanding Born to win is designed to provide vitamins and minerals that your horse may not be getting if it is just eating moderate quality forage. For this purpose I see no problem with it. If your horse is truly an "easy keeper" meaning that it doesn't need much hay or grain to hold its weight, it is possible that they need some extra vitamins/minerals. I certainly would not feed more than the recommended dose (1-2 lbs daily) and if your horse is overweight, I would look for another vitamin supplement that does not have as many calories and protein (Something like EquiPride could meet a lot of the vitamin/mineral needs, as well as providing probiotics, antioxidants, etc without overdoing the calories)

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2008 10:05 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Thank you so much for your reply...:)

I do consider her an easy keeper....maintains weight with 4 flakes of grass hay a day....2 twice a day with literally a small scoop of plain cobb....jsut wanted something for vitamin, minerals, etc value.

Would you have any concerns with it being a pellet? Are pellets really digestable enough?

Also, I had tried the Equipride in the past....put her on it and about 2 weeks later she was amped up and not in a good way.....took her off it and it took almost 2 weeks for her to mellow out. Is this normal with Equipride?

Thanks again so much! Just want to make the right decision.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2008 10:09 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
This is wonderful!!

Question: We worm our horses every month and I have been looking for the right rotation of wormer to use. What order should I use the wormer in and are there different seasons that I should use different wormer for?

Civilization has been thrust upon me...and it has not added one whit to my love for truth, honesty, and generosity...

Post subject: static electricity
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2008 10:10 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Hi, this may or may not be a vet question but every time I go to pet my horse we both get shocked. Not pleasant for either of us but especially him. Is this a dry coat issue? Is there a supplement or something I can use on the coat to stop this? Touching metal has been a very temporary fix. Thanks!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2008 10:14 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Oh, well in my opinion you are just trying to put your horse thru shock therapy...... :hugegrin:

Smiles Girlie!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2008 10:15 am 
oops I put this in the wrong section - anyone know how to move it to the vet question section?

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2008 10:19 am 
oh thanks Gravity Girl! I thought it it was the sparks flying because of our electrical relationship, smiles back at ya!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2008 10:20 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Oh, thats good....electric relationship....... :hugegrin:

Post subject: Is a yearly Vaccination Schedule really needed for horses?
Post Posted: Jan 16, 2008 10:27 am 
What is your opinion on regular vaccination schedules for horses?

I have been reading lately some information that has come out from other vets that yearly vaccinations are a drug company regulation, that testing does not support the need for that, that immunity is developed after one year of age, and that immunity is life long in many cases.

I know that vaccinations are different for different areas and that this may vary even by vaccine, but specifically in regards to the common vaccines given for West Nile, Rabies, Tetanus, Rhino/Flu, and the Encephalitis vaccines.

Those are the ones recommended for our area, Northeastern CO, by the local vets, but we are polling them too and are interested in the different opinions.

We vaccinate once a year in the spring with a 4 way and West Nile- now there is a vaccine that combines those into one, but if immunity is being shown to be more of a lifetime deal after one year of age, we are wondering if we are really wasting money.
I do think that this would not apply to pregnant mares as you would want immunity levels high at birth.

We have 38 horses, combination of BLM adoption horses, boarding horses, our own horses, and rescue horses, so this is obviously a significant yearly expense for us.

Also read an article stating that all 27 schools of North American Vet Medicine are changing their vaccine protocols in response to this. Is this something that you are aware of?

Thank you for your time and willingness to answer questions of this type-

You treated a few of our clients horses when we lived in Bailey and we always appreciated your willingness to teach and work with your clients!

Josie Gwin
TalSaNna Stables
Wild Horse Hope Ministries
www.wildhorsehope.org

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next