It is currently Aug 20, 2019 8:52 am 

Please place your classified ad for livestock related services or supplies or
livestock for sale or wanted in the Barnyard Classified Ads subforum

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 19, 2012 1:17 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Thanks you, we will have to get her checked out

Post subject: Re: VET CORNER: Ask a local Veterinarian....
Post Posted: Mar 22, 2013 4:20 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!

"Conifer: The Movie" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwGneGjOSG0&feature=plcp

Post Posted: May 2, 2013 9:35 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
:-)

"You can tell a horse owner by the interior of their car. Boots, mud, pony nuts, straw, items of tack and a screwed up waxed jacket of incredible antiquity. There is normally a top layer of children and dogs." Helen Thompson

Post Posted: Aug 15, 2013 1:29 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Hi!

Ok, I am positive that my dog has caught kennel cough from a lost pet that I took in for a week and he was returned to his owner. That dog didn't develop any signs/symptoms of kennel cough until his last day here, but I didn't realize that is what it was until my dog came down with the same symptoms. That dog had gotten into a container of nuts so I thought he was having an allergic reaction and I felt that belief was reinforced when his owner picked him up and said the dog had gotten into nuts before and had a similar reaction. 4 days later and my dog has the exact same symptoms: dry cough with goose honking sound and occasionally vomiting up white, foamy phlegm. Obviously, I am not a vet to diagnose, but I am not asking for a diagnosis either, I am sure it is kennel cough. No lethargy, no fever, no loss of appetite, no loss of energy, no eye/nasal drainage, etc. Completely normal other than the dry cough and occasional vomiting of phlegm from coughing too hard.

I have been researching kennel cough all day. I am much more of a holistic, natural type of person when it comes to treating illness and disease. From my research, all literature states kennel cough can usually resolve on it's own within 3-6 weeks in a healthy dog. My dog is 4 yo and has never been sick. I am giving raw honey for cough and vitamin c as it is an anti viral and vitamin e for immune support. I am also going to add in some raw garlic to the honey as it is an antiviral, antibacterial and a good anti microbial all around. I read that dogs can take children's robitussin dm occasionally if is interfering with her resting at night. I have not given that yet as the honey has worked well so far and I would like to avoid giving that medicine if possible. If I were to give it, it would only be at night if she couldn't rest sufficiently. She is tolerating everything very well, but I do realize it is the first day of giving her anything (symptoms started suddenly last night).

Here presents my question: Is it ok to treat her as I am barring no other symptoms present such as fever, lethargy, lack of appetite, nose/eye discharge, to indicate infection is turning into a more serious respiratory infection/pneumonia? I have stopped our daily hikes so she can rest and take it easy. At what point should I bring her in to the vet?

Another question... can kennel cough be given to a cat? I have an indoor cat that I don't want to get it so do I need to keep them separated and disinfect everything the cat may come in contact with? The cat likes to drink out of my dog's water bowl for example. I just see it being near impossible to keep the two separated for 3-6 weeks.

My main concern is bringing her into the vet will stress her out more and make the kennel cough worse. She does not like anyone touching her that is not me or my husband. She will nip at people she doesn't know if they try to touch her, thus she requires a muzzle if I bring her in. Vet trips are just an extremely stressful experience all around for both the dog and me that I would like to avoid at all costs if possible. She does not interact with other dogs or animals on a daily or even frequent basis so I am not interested in vaccinating her for kennel cough, which I have read, is not always effective at preventing this in the future anyway.

Any advice concerning the kennel cough is appreciated. Thank you!

Post Posted: Aug 15, 2013 2:35 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I pm'd you.

Post Posted: Aug 16, 2013 10:54 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
A few comments:

- The cat should not be at risk if it is truly kennel cough
- I would not recommend feeding raw garlic
- If it is kennel cough, many times it can resolve on its own without antibiotics, however in most cases, there is a bacterial as well as viral component and they will get over it faster with antibiotic treatment.
- The symptoms do sound like kennel cough, but without performing a veterinary exam it would be impossible to diagnose or accurately prescribe treatment etc.
- IF the symptoms worsen or do not seem to be improving rapaidly, I would strongly recommend a trip to the vet or even a housecall if that is an option for you.

Ashleigh Olds, DVM
Aspen Creek Veterinary Hospital

www.aspencreeklac.com

Post Posted: Aug 31, 2013 7:35 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
There is information floating around some equine blogs that Zymecterin Gold, by Merial is causing problems with horses, such as burns in mouth, muzzle and stomach. Actually have a friend in Michigan , who first hand is reporting this to her horse. A respected friend. Yet there is nothing to substantiate this problem. Do you have any insight to any problem with Merial worming products. Would appreciate any information you might have on this. Thank you.

Post Posted: Sep 1, 2013 12:19 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Thank you for the question. I haven't heard anything about this and haven't had any personal experience with it. It is certainly quite frequent for "phantom" rumors about drug reactions to spread like wildfire across the internet, but I certainly can't say that it ISN'T true at this point either. To be honest, our practice uses a similar product, "Equimax" instead of Zimectrin Gold because it has a higher concentration of the praziquantal (the component that kills tapeworms, which tend to be a more prevalent problem in this area compared to srongyles) and we have not seen ANY reactions or problems with this product. So if you want to be safe with a dewormer choice this fall, Equimax is a very good product.

www.aspencreeklac.com

Post Posted: Sep 1, 2013 3:30 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Thank you Dr. Olds. I would have put this off as "phantom" except that the source is a good friend (her sister) in the Mid-west. I believe that it is true as this person nor her sister are of the type to "fib" about a wormer reaction. However, searching the web/google I came up with posts in 2008 of the same type of problem, which got me to go down the path you have. Guess I will do the Equimax and see if this develops into anything valid. The expire dates on my Zimectrin Gold is in 2015 and it is stored in a cool place. Again, thank you.

Post subject: Re: static electricity
Post Posted: Oct 20, 2013 9:07 am 
critterville wrote:
Hi, this may or may not be a vet question but every time I go to pet my horse we both get shocked. Not pleasant for either of us but especially him. Is this a dry coat issue? Is there a supplement or something I can use on the coat to stop this? Touching metal has been a very temporary fix. Thanks!

OH - I HATE that!! I always dip my hand in some water before messing with the horses or their blankets. I wonder what goes through their head when I shock them. :/

Post subject: Little bumps all over my horses.
Post Posted: Dec 18, 2013 5:55 pm 
This winter my horses have both had little bumps show up that I've never seen before. They're scabs that range from very-small to roughly nickel-size, and when they come off, I notice what looks like a crystalized yellow pus. They're most dense on the horses' legs and around the mane, but I also see them on their back and occasionally their shoulders and haunches. They've also been showing up more on their faces lately. It seems that one horse (who also has a much thicker coat) is more affected than the other. The scabs don't seem to be particularly itchy, and when I leave them alone they do eventually go away.

Last time the farrier was out, she mentioned that she's seen this too, and thinks it might be a reaction to a weed in the pasture or hay.

What put me over the edge today is that when I pulled off a scab, a noticed what looked like an engorged (white) tick alongside the usual pus! I haven't seen this on any of the other scabs, but parasites were my original concern. There are so many scabs that the idea of searching through their winter coats for ticks is daunting.

Is this a common phenomenon up here? Is there anything I can do to clear this up?

Thanks,
Aubrey

Post Posted: Dec 18, 2013 6:38 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I wonder if it could be the same kind of fly that got my dog this fall - same thing - scabs, pus, white maggot like thing that came out of the hole - and the hole is perfectly round - I took my dog to the vet and that's what she said it was -

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next