It is currently Jun 17, 2019 12:39 am 

Please place your classified ad for livestock related services or supplies or
livestock for sale or wanted in the Barnyard Classified Ads subforum

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: VET CORNER: Ask a local Veterinarian....
Post Posted: Dec 21, 2013 9:39 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
could you please educate me on a 'bean'? I'm not a horse owner so am not familiar with this -

Post Posted: Dec 21, 2013 9:57 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Thanks for the answers on the little scabs. I'm trying fly spray along with a little extra grooming and will report back here in a week or two on whether there's progress.

Post Posted: Dec 26, 2013 10:48 am 
It actually only took a couple of days to clear up substantially once I started using fly spray. I'm not used to needing it in the winter, but it's great to have a way to protect my horses.

Thanks again, everyone, for the information and advice.

Post Posted: Dec 27, 2013 4:28 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Aubrey wrote:
It actually only took a couple of days to clear up substantially once I started using fly spray. I'm not used to needing it in the winter, but it's great to have a way to protect my horses.

Thanks again, everyone, for the information and advice.

My theory on this problem is that the insects burrow at night when it's colder.
I have seen some tiny flying insects even on the coldest days. Always around warm bodies.
I am happy that the fly spray cleared it up!

Post Posted: Dec 2, 2014 12:00 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Time to wake up this thread! A question on first aid kits for trail and trailer (and barn for that matter, finances limit just how many I want to buy but I do like well thought out kits that function well, I have one for myself in the truck and it has come in handy).

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=194949

Post Posted: Dec 2, 2014 6:36 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Thanks for the question Red Chili - I always like to make my first aid kits in a plastic tool box. They can be found inexpensively from Home Depot, Lowes etc. They are typically pretty dust-proof, somewhat water/rain resistant, have a handle, and are light and easy to tote around (from the barn to the trailer etc). They won't carry well on a horse while you are riding, but unless you are going on big backcountry trips, a few small essentials can usually into a backpack, camelpack, or regular horn bag or saddle bag..... for taking out on the trail with you for day rides, I would usually only recommend a few gauze rolls and some vetrap-coflex type material, a hoof pick, and possibly some water to rinse out a cut before bandaging (which you would also be able to drink on your ride!). For backcountry trips where you are days from your truck, adding a few more items like a cotton quilt, non stick pads, some furazone or similar ointment, some banamine, and possibly some antibiotics in case of extreme need might be a good idea but you need to check with your veterinarian ahead of time to get these items and make sure you understand how and when to use them. As for the pre-made kits, they aren't a horrible price, but if you take the time to gather a lot of those items on your own, you can do it more price effectively. most of those items are actually for human use if you read the contents carefully (ibuprofen, bug spray, hydrocortisone cream etc - very little of it will actually be useful for your horse, but if you are looking for a good human/horse kit it might be OK) I also advise making sure all of your cotton leg wraps and other bandaging items are in gallon zip-locks to make sure they are CLEAN and DRY when you do need them. Here's a quick list of items that I think are good to have in a first aid kit for horse:

Disinfectant soap (betadine or chlorhexidine)
Roll cotton, sheet cotton, Elastikon,& Vetwrap
Disposable gloves - LATEX or neoprene,& non-stick pads (telfa)
gauze, scissors, razor/clippers
flashlight, extra batteries, thermometer
duct tape, EZ boot that fits, epsom salt
antibiotic ointment (nitrofurazone or neosporin)
iodine, hoof pick
+/- stethescope
With veterinarian permission: banamine, bute, uniprim
Veterinarian’s name and phone number

www.aspencreeklac.com

Post Posted: Dec 2, 2014 6:54 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
:yeah that: :yeah that:

Post Posted: Dec 3, 2014 12:24 pm 
Thanks Ashleigh! In the trailer, Dakotah banged his foot right above the coronet band and it was bloody enough to give me a real shock. I have NO idea how he managed to do this, unless he just lost his balance in a left hand turn and clipped himself cross-legged. I do remember a left hander going down N. Turkey Creek where he shook the trailer pretty well with a scramble. Methinks, NTC might not be my best route. He does have a habit of pawing when impatient, and he is getting impatient with trailering (closed in space). Amy Dukes pointed out letting him stand at a slight angle and not closing in the divider will help him fell less claustrophobic, and be able to stabilize himself better.

Turned out to be superficial, but you could've fooled me when I saw it. Glad he had boots on, they helped protect the coronet. Shipping boots on order! Along with the horn bag kit from EquiMedic to start out with at least.

Man I really HATE it when he gets scraped up. After his hard start at life I feel like I let him down to not keep that from happening. I do have Legacy boots, but Ingrid observed he kinda doesn't like them... and they do collect sand and water on the trail, leading to even more issues.

Post subject: Let's switch gears to: CATTLE!
Post Posted: Dec 6, 2015 8:22 pm 
Hi Ashleigh! I just stumbled on this question and answer session, great idea! Thanks for all the help over the years, I was the one with the llama that had the cancer on her chest and you did the surgery, it healed up so well you couldn't even tell it was there. And you dehorned my Jersey calf Iris! So here's an update, I got rid of my llamas, chickens, ducks, and everything else except my two dogs and my cows. I've increased my herd so now I have five black angus and one Jersey (Iris). I'm planning on expanding my black angus herd and running it as a small cow calf operation. So I have LOTS of cow questions and I have yet to find a rancher who can help me out.

The first question I have is what do you recommend for a vaccination / medication schedule? None of my cows have been vaccinated except one calf, so I'm WAY behind! As I understand it, Brucellosis (or the Bangs vaccination) needs to happen before the first year, most of my cows have missed the window. Sounds like it needs to be done by a vet and then they tattoo the ear and maybe metal band the ear?

In addition to the Bangs vaccination I was also looking at the Centennial Livestock Auction and in order to sell cattle there you need to have the following vaccinations:

Level 1:
Four-way Virus Vaccine for IBR PI3 BVD, BRSV
Seven way Clostridial + Haemophilus Somnus
Pasteurella Vaccine
External & Internal Parasite Control Administered (I'm planning on starting with an Ivermectin pour on)

Level 2:
Four Way Virus Vaccine for IBR BVD PI3 BRSV booster
Seven way Clostridial + Haemophilus Somnus booster

They also state, "All Level 1 requirements met and documented. Administered booster shots at least 14 days prior to auction." How do you document? Do you need a vet to administer?

I also recently briefly talked to a cattle guy, he said that he gives his cattle shots every year to prevent sexually transmitted diseases since he uses random bulls. I think he said, "Vibriosis (Campylobacter fetus)"?

Sooooo, I'm in the process of getting a squeeze chute so I can get a handle on my cattle and give them vaccinations. Not sure I want to load up these cattle and bring them over to the clinic, perhaps once I get my chute you can swing by and help me out with the shots and ear tattoos?

Any other shots or medications you would recommend? Is there an age limit to any of the above other than the Bangs vaccination? Are you able to administer the Bangs followed by an ear tattoo?

I'm also planning on having my first three calves next spring and summer. Right now I have two bulls and four cows, one cow is too young to have a calf next year, but the other three should calve just fine (hopefully).

By the way, I just recently noticed two warts on the nose of one of my cows, apparently there is a vaccination for these warts (just another one to add to the list!). Would you recommend one for west nile? The list is getting longer LOL.

Chris

Post Posted: Mar 29, 2016 4:44 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Hello there! We have a 14 yr old miniature horse. Our farrier recently discovered he had lice!! We were told to use Zimectrin paste and treat also with a Pymethrin (sp?) formula. We have given 2 doses of Zimectrin paste, 1 dose of Ivermectrin paste, and have drenched him with the Pymethrin formula twice, 2 weeks apart. He has lost LOTS of hair, it is starting to grow back on his back at least. We thought maybe we were getting a handle on it. Yesterday I noticed him scratching his butt again and rubbing his chin on a stump. I went out and he is raw under his chin!! :((( Should it take this long to treat this, and do you think we are treating this correctly? We are really concerned. We were also told to use "Ultra Boss", which we cannot find at any feed store, but I believe the Pymethrin formula from Big R is very similar.
Thank you in advance!

Post Posted: Mar 29, 2016 5:32 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
http://www.horsemart.co.uk/health/diagn ... H5kHstJ.97

this link will provide you basic education. Use your vet to get a handle on this.

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13