Please place your classified ad for livestock related services or supplies or
livestock for sale or wanted in the Barnyard Classified Ads subforum

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject:
Post Posted: May 26, 2012 9:43 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Hi and yes did mean something more than that, if she's clearly understanding a outside rein half halt, and your going to show western in a curb and loose rein then its time to "transfer your cue"
I'm a true believer in a snaffle, all horses should be fluent in it, once snaffle is mastered and your gonna go in a curb then its time to start stepping up in severity of bit and lightness of hand, all again cannot truly be done without being fluent in the snaffle.
The AQHA world is tough......showed in it for many years, be true to yourself and real training and don't get caught up in all the short cuts and political BS that goes with it!
Trust me, the dumb short cuts and trick cues only work on dumb horses.....
Meaning horse dumb not people dumb
The "smartest" horse in the herd has the highest sense of self preservation, and lives the longest.......most humans will call that horse dumb.....just sayin

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 2, 2013 1:49 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Wow, great thread... I was surprised no posts since 5/26/12!

With apologies to Monty Python... now for something completely different.

My wife and I are looking into miniature horses. Based on a ranch visit, I am also surprising myself by considering a modern Shetland gelding because I want to learn driving (slightly hotter and showier). My wife wants to do halter class, and therapy with her horse; this is something I understand is like combining opposites (acting hot blooded and showy in halter and acting like a puppy as a therapy horse) but I guess I am not convinced that need be the case if you make it fun for the horse. I could be wrong.

Since we do not yet have horses (or barn... or trailer...) I don't yet know what we would need to know to begin training. Of course no driving training except ground until year 3.

I suppose what I am interested in is, becoming a good trainer myself (for my horses at least). I've trained dogs successfully and am starting to show them but it's a whole different world with prey species as I am learning.

Background: I grew up on a Thoroughbred breeding farm in KY (wish I'd paid more attention). But because of that, I have a strong bias toward gentle training and 'reading' the animal more than forcing.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 2, 2013 2:01 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I'm not sure I know what you're asking?

Do you want help with finding a couple of horses?

Are you wanting to become a trainer?

You want to show, but don't have horses? You don't want riding horses, right?

I guess I am unsure what exactly you need. If you clarify and if I can help, I sure will try! :)

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 2, 2013 2:16 pm 
:)
That's probably because specific questions haven't formed in my mind yet!

We have several leads on horses and more calls out to local ranches, so by the time we are ready we will likely know who is coming to live with us.

Mostly, I want to learn to be a competent trainer (to miniature horses) so I don't cause problems. I seem to have a knack for understanding animals (my wife would say that is putting it mildly) and want to develop that with horses. Kind of a spiritual journey.

The goals of training would be, starting a horse in driving training - and building the horse's confidence and fun as well as mine.

Also open to mining knowledge if someone knows minis, Shetlands, and driving. Also... bad idea to start out with a Shetland for driving?

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 2, 2013 3:33 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I would suggest to you that you continue to talk with mini ranch owners and breeders and spend time with them as you are able, if they are willing to help.

Do your own research into what traits you most want in the horses you purchase. Before buying, go to shows, lots of shows, and you will see the trend, the big players, what you like and what you don't. I would encourage you to take a few months starting now to do these things. You will gain a ton of knowledge. You will form networks of people to help you as you hone in on what you want.

Before buying any horse for driving, ask yourself a few questions--why do you want to drive? Where will you go with your pony? Will you be happy with only yourself and perhaps one other person in the carriage/buggy with you? Are you sure you want a Shetland, and if so, why? Is that the best breed for you? If you want to show, I would look into other breeds of ponies and horses to be sure....not to discourage from a Shetland, they are great ponies if you know how to be a good leader, and little brats by nature oftentimes, depending.

Golden Animal Hospital has a couple of employees who know a lot about minis, showing, breeding, etc. You may want to call down there and see if they will talk to you more. The best advice I can offer is to go slowly, spend little and be sure what you want.

Remember, as first time horse owners, the absolute most important thing, in my opinion, is not to buy young horses. For your first horses, buy older, more seasoned animals who will be forgiving and who will help you learn to be a confident horse owner and handler. Smaller horses, minis and ponies are still equines with the same instincts and DNA that makes a horse a horse. By getting trained horses at first, your mistakes won't cost the animal. There are so many rescues available right now, you may want to begin there.

Happy Trails to you and keep us posted on your adventure.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 2, 2013 4:38 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Hi Red_Chili - You're welcome to join us in the Lakewood Riding Club. Several of our members have minis that they drive and show. We welcome anyone of any skill level. It would be a low-key environment where you could get started learning. We have a variety of members with a variety of horses that represent all skill levels and disiciplines. You don't even have to have a horse to join. :)

Our meeting nights are the first Wednesday of each month at 6:30 at the Jeffco Fairgrounds. We have a meeting tonight if you can make it. We usually try to have an educational speaker at each meeting. I'm the club's VP. You can PM me if you want more info/details. :D

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 2, 2013 9:36 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
can you clue me on on what 'driving' is?

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 2, 2013 9:54 pm 
wildGoose2 wrote:
can you clue me on on what 'driving' is?

a horse or pony in harness and pulling a carriage, sled, cart etc....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_%28horse%29

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 2, 2013 9:57 pm 
thanks! - i should have figured it out, but my brain is on vacation right now...

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 2, 2013 10:00 pm 
wildGoose2 wrote:
thanks! - i should have figured it out, but my brain is on vacation right now...

lumosity.com

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 3, 2013 7:50 am 
Thanks DavisRanch and caverkarla!

Actually I had an Appaloosa gelding growing up who was a handful. Ornery. The Thoroughbred mares were much more manageable and docile despite their history and pedigree. Raising and showing Wheaten Terriers I have an appreciation for spirited animals! I like a little 'wild' if the relationship is good.

Hmmm, that has application on so many levels. ;-)

RE: driving, I think it depends on the horse. I would like to dabble in Country Pleasure and it would be great if I could find a horse with aptitude for Single Pleasure... again, I grew up around trotters and sulkies as well as Tbred racing, so that left a mark. BUT... I'd be happy though doing just neighborhood driving, light trail driving, that sort of thing. One or two people. The two people part is why I was rethinking my prejudices about Shetlands - the ones I knew as a kid made the Appaloosa look compliant. From what I am seeing, there seems to be a marked difference between Modern Shetlands and classics.

Yep... I have a lot to learn. I will drop in on the Lakewood club!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 3, 2013 8:47 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Maybe look at Hackney ponies and Morgans. They both are great driving horses. For up here, I'd lean to a Morgan, and they look like large Shetlands if you choose the right one. Ha!

Have fun whatever you decide!

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next