It is currently Jul 19, 2018 1:55 am 

Post your images and discussions about Colorado flora and fauna here.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Striped fox?
Post Posted: Jul 10, 2018 2:10 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
This fox stopped by the other night to pose for our game cam. It looks like it has stripes! They appear on both sides and from all angles, so it’s not just a camera artifact. Anyone know what kind of fox and what’s up with the stripes?

Post subject: Re: Striped fox?
Post Posted: Jul 10, 2018 3:59 pm 
When we had a Gray Fox, and later a Black Fox;
I asked the local Forest Ranger (many years ago) what kind of foxes do we have besides the Red Fox ?
I was told that all of our foxes are "Red".
The color differences go back to the times when they were raised domestically for their pelts.
When the domestic pelt era was no longer popular, the breeders released their foxes into the wild.
Enjoying our wild inhabitants.

Post Posted: Jul 10, 2018 7:37 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Actually we do have more than just the red fox:
"Four species of foxes make Colorado home. Red and gray foxes are three feet long and weigh nine to 11 pounds. Red foxes are reddish orange above, white below, and have a white-tipped tail and black ears, legs, and feet. Gray foxes have black fur running down the top side and tip of the tail, reddish ears and feet and a mane of stiff black hairs on their grayish brown back. Swift and kit foxes are only 27 to 36 inches long; their tails are as long as their bodies and black only at the tips. They weigh just four to seven pounds."

It's a myth about the foxes being turned loose after fur traders went out of business. Red foxes are found all over the world and they come in a variety of colors:
"Despite the name, red fox are not always red.
​There are genetic variations resulting in four recognized color phases: red, cross, silver and black. The red color phase is the most common observed in wild red fox, with all other phases being fairly rare.
In all color phases, red fox have a characteristic white-tipped tail."
Source CPW website cpw.state.co.us/

"....People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou

Post Posted: Jul 10, 2018 8:18 pm 
Thank you Suzstuff and whitewolfie. Although we don’t know what color it is, based on the white-tipped tail and black stockings, it seems that it must be a red fox. I just can’t figure out the stripes on the back. They’re really quite pronounced.

Post Posted: Jul 10, 2018 8:29 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
The "stripes" really are pretty obvious, I was thinking he/she looks like they just went to the groomer and got combed like that! :) My dog's fur looks like that if I run my fingers through it, especially if he's a little wet. Interesting! Sure looks like stripes though! It looks very healthy, which is great. We lost most of "our foxes to mange a couple of years ago. I still hear them on rare occasions, but we never see them anymore. I hope this is a sign that they are coming back!

"....People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou

Post Posted: Jul 10, 2018 9:30 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
secretagent wrote:
Thank you Suzstuff and whitewolfie. Although we don’t know what color it is, based on the white-tipped tail and black stockings, it seems that it must be a red fox. I just can’t figure out the stripes on the back. They’re really quite pronounced.

One of my dogs looks like he has stripes along his neck, makes him look like he has gills. He doesn't really have stripes, it's just how his fur lays and it looks just like the stripes on your fox.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]