It is currently Jun 24, 2019 10:10 am 

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Dwarf Mistletoe
Post Posted: Jul 11, 2018 6:28 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I have noticed more severely infected mistletoe infested pine trees this year in my area than I have ever noticed before. I have always pruned infected trees on my property. I've also cut down a handful of trees that had mistletoe on the trunk. It spreads like wildfire (sorry for the reference). Anyone else notice how bad the mistletoe is this year? I know it's always been around, but I see it everywhere when I'm driving and walking my dog. It seems like no one else is worried about it. I know a tree can still live a long time with mistletoe, but it's nasty - so I try to stay on top of it. Am I just overreacting?

I took these pictures on a walk through the hood today.

reactingImage

Post subject: Re: Dwarf Mistletoe
Post Posted: Jul 11, 2018 9:31 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Tell this to the folks who can give you good info & maybe help.

South Platte District for USFS -
19316 Goddard Ranch Court Morrison, CO 80465
Phone: (303) 275-5610
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed on Federal holidays and weekends

Post Posted: Jul 12, 2018 9:20 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Please, let us know what they say.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Be compassionate, understanding and kind. You never know who is
this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Jul 12, 2018 3:14 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Whoa, that's ugly stuff. No one is kissing under that. Maybe divorce under the mistletoe? :hugegrin:

Post Posted: Jul 12, 2018 3:19 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
chapped lips under the mistletoe?

Post Posted: Jul 12, 2018 5:00 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Bad stuff, We visited Durango, Pagosa Springs, Ouray and Silverton. The trees were absolutely infested with mistletoe. And now it's burning up. We cut our trees down and covered the timber.

Post Posted: May 25, 2019 9:44 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Just a reminder to my mountain friends to keep an eye out for Dwarf Mistletoe. It's running rampant up here, and will eventually kill your pine trees. If your tree is mildly infected, you can cut the infected branches off and avoid losing the whole tree (unless the tree is badly infested - then it has to go). I cut a few branches out of my favorite Ponderosa Pine today. Nasty stuff. You have to catch it before it spores. Good luck, friends!

Post Posted: May 26, 2019 4:15 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
There is no cure. Once a tree is infected you can cut off the affected branches it still in the main body of the tree but some trees can hold out surviving for years. Cut the infected branches off until you have a telephone pole, then cut that down.

"Its easy to go down into hell; night and day the gates of dark death stand wide; but to climb back up again; to retrace one's steps to the open air, there lies the problem, the difficult task, ..." Virgil: The Aeneid

Post Posted: May 26, 2019 4:26 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I've had it on a spruce tree for 15 years. I keep whacking it off and bagging it for disposal, but mistletoe sinks its roots into the tree and extracts its food so it's hard to kill. Very unsightly but just get it before it explodes--literally. The spores can go up to 50' and stick to any other wood around--including your house! Very unsightly, but like you said, it takes a long time to kill the tree. However, the tree will get progressively weaker and is then susceptible to other diseases. Cut the mistletoe off as soon as you detect it or it may form a distortion called a "witch's broom." All trees are susceptible, so definitely get it before it explodes! (I'm a former Master Gardener, used to write the gardening column for Mountain Connection. There my be new ways to actually kill the mistletoe.)

Post Posted: May 27, 2019 10:22 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
sierralady93 wrote:
I've had it on a spruce tree for 15 years. I keep whacking it off and bagging it for disposal, but mistletoe sinks its roots into the tree and extracts its food so it's hard to kill. Very unsightly but just get it before it explodes--literally. The spores can go up to 50' and stick to any other wood around--including your house! Very unsightly, but like you said, it takes a long time to kill the tree. However, the tree will get progressively weaker and is then susceptible to other diseases. Cut the mistletoe off as soon as you detect it or it may form a distortion called a "witch's broom." All trees are susceptible, so definitely get it before it explodes! (I'm a former Master Gardener, used to write the gardening column for Mountain Connection. There my be new ways to actually kill the mistletoe.)

Yeah, it's nasty stuff. I've only seen it in pine trees around here, but I'm not surprised that it will spread to other types of trees. I see it EVERYWHERE up here. People really seem to not care about it at all. It kind of drives me nuts. I know it's hard to mitigate if it's in the top of your 80 foot tall tree, but when it's in short trees next to your driveway, where you see it every day - you really should do something about it. Even if you don't care if it is in your trees, do something about it on your neighbor's behalf. Sorry for the rant. :eye crazy: :eye crazy: :eye crazy:

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]