It is currently Nov 18, 2017 8:59 am 

Post your images and discussions about Colorado flora and fauna here.

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: LOTS of MUSHROOMS - WITH PHOTOS NEW added 08/18/17
Post Posted: Aug 8, 2017 10:02 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
All of this latest rain was bound to "light up" the forest with mushrooms many of us were waiting and hoping to see!
I will try to correctly label what you see here using "the Miller book" MUSHROOMS OF NORTH AMERICA by Orson K. Miller.
Some of the names have changed and I, again, caution you to BE CAREFUL with anything of which you are not 100% sure!

We did find Boletus edulis, the "King Bolete" which is among our top five most choice mushrooms.
It is highly regarded world wide!
It is known as the Cepe in France, the Steinpilz in Germany, and the Porchini in Italy.
All the Boletus family have a sponge structure under the cap instead of gills and these produce the spores which reproduce the fungi.
This mushroom is very high in protein and will pick up the flavors of that in which it is cooking.
Here are "twins" just barely emerging from the forest duff.
They are hard and white of flesh and only the cap was emerging from the forest floor looking a lot like a reddish rock breaking through!
EXCELLENT!

Most of the mushrooms you might see out in the woods or in your yard are NOT EDIBLE or simply NOT IDENTIFIABLE!
Mushrooming is NOT an Easter egg hunt!
Only a few are "dead killers" as their toxins destroy your liver!
If you have a transplant lined up, you might consider trying one.....NOT!

We are still often stumped by what might be seen.
Here is one that is pretty and very common right now.
Great to look at and to photograph or even try to find an ID in a reference book.

Here is another which is in the "Club Fungi" family.
I am confident that it is a Clavairadelphus ligula which is described as NOT EDIBLE and BITTER.
There are a few Club fungi which are listed as edible - but VERIFY in your book first!

Here is one that is possibly very toxic to eat and is in a family of big time killers.
It IS one of the best indicators that Boletus edulis might be found where these are popping up!
Google up on Amanita muscaria for some interesting educational information.

Here is one that is often found clustered at the base of aspen trees.
This is Pholiota squarrosa and is not safely edible.
There are others varieties of mushrooms clustered around bases of trees and some are even reported edible.
Usually these clusters are an indication that the tree is on the "dead list" even if the tree does not actually know it.
It is the job of mushrooms to recycle organic matter back to the soil so that other plants or trees may grow.

"Common knowledge" is that Puffballs are always edible.
The warning is that they need to be pure white and firm inside to be eaten.
Puffballs come in many sizes from marble to golfball to baseball to basketball.
Here is a "giant" puffball, Clavaria gigantia.
How big is it, really?
Really!
We would only consider eating puffballs if we were close to starving - as they have such marginal taste and texture.

If you are worried about your dog scarfing up wild mushrooms, you should be!
Pick what mushrooms you don't know and dispose of them in a closed plastic bag in you trash.
DO NOT toss them over the fence as the spores will be back to haunt you and the dog.
It is a serious issue and could result in expensive Vet bills.
Having a specimen of what your pet ate for the Vet to see might be useful.

Have fun out in the woods - and BE CAREFUL!

BGR

Last edited by BeerGodROX on Aug 18, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: LOTS of MUSHROOMS - last 3 days WITH PHOTOS!
Post Posted: Aug 9, 2017 6:19 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Gorgeoud. I thought we had a lot.

Post Posted: Aug 9, 2017 8:02 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Try - Clitocybe gibba - for pic #7
If it is this one - keep watching - they remain interesting and curl up more as they dry out.
I am using "Mushrooms of Colorado and the Southern Rockies" By Verna Stucky Evenson. Published in cooperation with Denver Botanic Gardens and Denver Museum of Natural History by Westcliff Publishers. ISBN: 1-56579-192-4

Post Posted: Aug 9, 2017 9:55 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Those are really neat pictures of the mushrooms. Thank you for the intersting information.

There are lots of varied mushrooms growing about on the forest floor; luckily none grow in the fenced in portion of the yard where my curious fur babies could get at them. The deer came by today. They did not have any interest in the mushrooms; they strolled right past them.

Post subject: Re: LOTS of MUSHROOMS - WITH PHOTOS NEW added 08/18/17
Post Posted: Aug 18, 2017 3:33 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
As long as the rain keeps falling, we expect to keep finding MORE mushrooms.

If you are looking for Boletus edulis, "the King Bolete", they are still likely to continue popping up.

We have long used Amanita muscaria as an "indicator" that Boletus edulis "might" be found!
They might look like an illustration for children's books - but DO NOT EAT them!
When we see these, we get serious about looking for the "King" - and not always successfully!

In the search for the "King" we might find another in the Bolete family, as in Leccinum aurantium.
This looks like a family unit and these are particularly fresh and free of worms.
This is lower among our "Top 10" but generally edible and choice if firm and free of worms.
It turns black upon cooking and some people are not inclined to appreciate that appearance in the skillet.
We did leave the vegetation behind stuck back into the forest duff.

LOTS of Amanita were emerging which urged us on in our search.
You can see that the "cocorra" (the veil around the mushroom from the volva to the top cap) was still completely intact.
Here we dug it up completely to show how the base and the volva (egg case) might appear.

This is the very first time ever finding a Boletus edulis AND an Amanita muscaria growing out of the SAME hole in the duff!
]Image
A lot like "twins" but definately NOT "identical" in any way!
The volva on this Amanita is clearly visible.
Very interesting to us!

When Boletus edulis come up like this, you have really struck "gold" on your hunt!
These probably emerged overnight and are usually free of worms, bright white flesh, and very firm.
Sauteed and cooked with sweet onions and added to flavored rice, they are an amazing meal!

Here is a nice discovery of a partial "fairy ring" of Hydnum imbricatum, the "Hawk's Wing" or "Owl of the Woods".
We don't eat these because they leave a bitter aftertaste in Mrs. BGR's mouth.
We always pick some to give to friends who LOVE to eat them.

Also in the woods you might find many in the family Cortinarius.
They are gilled mushrooms of various colors with a fine filament of fibers connecting the cap to the stem - a "cortina" if you will.
We DO NOT eat these as most books describe them as poisonous.
They are interesting to look at and useful to NOT imagine them to be suitable for the table.

You might find a lot of different and small mushrooms of various shapes and colors.
Most of those we classify as LBMs (Little Brown Mushrooms) which are hard to properly ID and not worth the effort to pick.
Here is a cluster of LBMs doing their job of returning the organic material of a dead tree to the Earth.
That is a highly useful job!

One more time: PLEASE BE CAREFUL out there!
It would be a shame to ruin someting which is fun and exciting - AND gets you out in the woods!

BGR

Post Posted: Aug 18, 2017 7:50 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
As Always!! Thank You Both for sharing your wisdom with all of us grasshoppers! ROFL

Post Posted: Aug 19, 2017 3:14 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I just saw this topic, great photos and info --- thanks!

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]