It is currently Aug 16, 2018 4:18 am 

click here for classified ad policies. if you need help with the Pinecam forums, click here
pets available for adoption, rescue, or sale can be found here

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Recommendations - best veterinarian for cats in the area??
Post Posted: May 2, 2018 11:23 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I suspicious that my cat may have asthma. I know diagnosis can be expensive. Any suggestions??

Post subject: Re: Recommendations - best veterinarian for cats in the area
Post Posted: May 2, 2018 11:35 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Doc Palmini at Sano has taken care of my kitties since we moved here in 2003. I have all kinds of things going on with 5 cats and he has accurately diagnosed and treated them all. I have one boy turning 18 (doc caught early stages of kidney failure and now his numbers are back within normal range) and another 16 (doc caught high calcium levels and he had surgery to remove parathyroid gland that had a big tumor on it).

I also have a girl, 13, with asthma. She is on an inhaled steroid, that I get filled from https://www.canadapharmacy.com/ . It is $99 instead of $400 if filled at local pharmacy. I have recently taken her off and she has not had any attacks in 2 months! it takes some work to get them used to the inhaler, but she tolerates it like a champ. Plus she gets super brushed and treats after each time.

here is a video of a cat having an asthma attack. If you kitty is showing these signs, then yes, it most likely has asthma. When mine first started this, I thought she was having issues with hairballs.

I keep the room she sleeps in most of the time (our bedroom) with a hepa filter air filter and humidifier (this has make the biggest improvement) and keep her bedding, etc washed every week. Keeping her environment clean has been a simple thing with major impact.

good luck and let the doc see your cat to get properly diagnosed. let us know how it goes.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: May 2, 2018 12:22 pm 
Thank you Angela. I just set the appointment and the receptionist spoke very highly of you. I'm going to try to get video of one of his attacks because, as you probably know, he won't display the signs when we get there. Again ... thank you kindly for the recommendation.

Post Posted: May 2, 2018 2:47 pm 
Good Luck! If you need any advice or help with this, holler. I have been dealing with this for a few years now

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: May 4, 2018 8:47 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I'm sure there are many great vets in our area but we highly recommend Lone Rock . They are wonderful, compassionate ladies.

Post Posted: May 6, 2018 12:45 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
A few months ago we thought our kitty had asthma and we starting looking around to see what had recently changed after a visit to the vet. We had recently changed to some litter that came free with her adoption, which released quite a dust cloud when I poured it in. Thought nothing of it until the vet asked "anything change?" We dumped that litter and replaced it with another brand the same day as our vet appt - the "sneezy wheezies" (that's what we call them!) went away immediately! Not saying this is your kitty's trouble but start thinking now about anything you've changed recently in your cat's routine (brushing, litter, food, bowls, where food bowls are, etc.) or your home (vacuuming more or less often, new flowers or plants, new perfumes or lotions, etc) so you can go through those ideas with your vet. Good luck and hope you get a resolution quickly, I know how scary it is to watch them have one of those attacks!

Post Posted: May 7, 2018 11:12 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Lone Rock Vet

Post Posted: May 8, 2018 8:27 am 
ConiferLin wrote:
A few months ago we thought our kitty had asthma and we starting looking around to see what had recently changed after a visit to the vet. We had recently changed to some litter that came free with her adoption, which released quite a dust cloud when I poured it in. Thought nothing of it until the vet asked "anything change?" We dumped that litter and replaced it with another brand the same day as our vet appt - the "sneezy wheezies" (that's what we call them!) went away immediately! Not saying this is your kitty's trouble but start thinking now about anything you've changed recently in your cat's routine (brushing, litter, food, bowls, where food bowls are, etc.) or your home (vacuuming more or less often, new flowers or plants, new perfumes or lotions, etc) so you can go through those ideas with your vet. Good luck and hope you get a resolution quickly, I know how scary it is to watch them have one of those attacks!

all great advice! It has been so long I had forgotten about litter. Of course, the perfect cat litter is the holy grail for cat owners.

I have found that Zero Mess by World's Best Advanced Cat Litter is my latest go to.

All food and water dishes are stainless (no plastic)

Bedding gets washed every week

As I said above

Humidifier

Hepa Air Filter

Post Posted: May 8, 2018 8:53 am 
Thank you all so much. These are all great thoughts and reminders of the simple things we don't think of sometimes. The one that I would have not thought of was the fireplace. They say don't burn your fireplace if you have asthmatic pets. As for the litter, believe it or not ......I found Arm & Hammer Super Scoop to be of very little dust with relatively no perfumes. My little one does great with it. I just can not justify spending a ton of money on cat litter. His last attack was a week ago today so I believe I'm dealing with a mild case. I will have him assessed for a baseline if nothing else so if and/or when it progresses (as he ages) we can accurately assess the condition.

Post Posted: May 8, 2018 4:11 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I am a client of Dr Kim Anderson mobile vet. She is wonderful 303-249-5819

Post Posted: May 11, 2018 3:18 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Dr. Dawn at Lone Rock. She is great!

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]