help unite a lost pet with their owner
please update Pinecam ASAP when the pet and owner are reunited

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: 9/16 - Lost Tortoise
Post Posted: Sep 16, 2018 1:25 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I know it's a longshot. Russian Tortoise missing since 9/15 Sat. Oehlmann Park, Area of Hawkins Ave. an Oehlmann Park Rd between Miliken and Webb. Is about 6in' long on Carapace. If Found please call or PM, ASAP. IF he appears injured or sick DO NOT attempt to take to VET or treat, please PM or call me ASAP. Owner is CVT w/ reptile exp. of many years. Thank you for any help!
CatC 303-918-7357

Post subject: Re: 9/16 - Lost Tortoise
Post Posted: Sep 16, 2018 11:06 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
did you post on Nextdoor as well? you should!

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2018 8:25 am 
I suppose I should. I generally found "nextdoor" not to be true to it's original intent (with stuff from Blue Creek/Evergreen to Pine) but I guess it couldn't hurt in this case. Thanks for the suggestion! Will see what I can do when I get back from work.

Post Posted: Sep 18, 2018 12:01 pm 
it would be about this big, I think

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Sep 18, 2018 1:25 pm 
Generally, yes. Mine is just a bit larger. One in pic looks younger, Mine is possibly 8-10yrs old, but you get the idea. Coloring is similar though with the cold nights the skin will often darken quite a bit and can appear almost black till they warm up in the sun. Shell appears ochre (yellow) to almost olive green with darker patches in middle area of the scutes. (I don't have recent pic as I got new computer a few months ago and old pics are saved in files that are hard to get access to.) Regardless, there aren't native tortoise species up at our altitude as they can't handle the fast dramatic changes in temp. I'm still looking, but I'm realistic, with our weather and wildlife. Thanks for taking the time to find a pic!

Post Posted: Sep 18, 2018 2:17 pm 
It would seem that he could not have gotten too far right? I mean they are not that fast. I am no expert, but it would seem it would want to find areas with more moisture, only because the food would be better.

Post Posted: Sep 18, 2018 2:43 pm 
Actually, they move pretty quick. And when given the choice he prefers kale, collards, romaine, but they can and will eat any grasses (fresh or dried), dandelions, weeds, etc. In their native lands they have acres of territory that the males claim, defend and roam, which is part of the problem. Though he was "bred" in captivity most of the tortoises currently in the pet trade have not been in domestication long enough to lose the Genetic encoding that automatically kicks in the "Want to go home" to their particular region - in Easter Europe. (There are exceptions of course, animals never actually read the books we write about them.) However, this is why whenever he is not in a cage in our yard (for short pds. of UBA/B time) he instantly makes a break for the fencing.

Post Posted: Oct 1, 2018 3:09 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
where was he last seen? Whats he or she look like? I know , a turtle. box ,snapper Color, size

Post Posted: Oct 1, 2018 3:33 pm 
Hawkins & Oelmann Park Rd. About 6in. Carapace length. Dark yellow-brown to green w/ dark brown in center of scutes. Pic of similar is posted. Full description posted at top. Thanks!

Post Posted: Oct 1, 2018 3:53 pm 
There's a Tortoise in lost and found at Foothill's animal shelter today. Image

Post Posted: Oct 1, 2018 4:16 pm 
ok thanks will take a look! fyi I do have a listing at foothills under the "lost" dept.

Post Posted: Oct 1, 2018 4:31 pm 
thanks again all! The turtle currently listed in Found at Foothills is an Ornate Box turtle (they have him listed as Desert mixed, which is close enough). I just want to mention this, as it could be a pet, or this could have been a wild turtle someone brought in and kept as a pet, as they are native to the plains in Kansas. Again, I deeply appreciate folks looking, but am realistic at this point that Igorsky (my Russian) will not be found knowing our terrain, wildlife and weather up at our altitude in Conifer. But thank you all, it's nice to see folks care!

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]