It is currently Oct 19, 2019 6:29 pm 

Restaurant owners, place your advertisements in the Dining Room forum
members can add one advertising post per week for a business;
add a reply to a business topic to say something about the business

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Electricity Overuse! What is the cause???
Post Posted: Sep 16, 2019 9:44 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Thanks for all the helpful ideas, guys! There is a lot to think about here and you all have given me some great leads to check out. I especially appreciate the suggestions to have Excel Energy evaluate our energy consumption! Y'all are great!

Hi All,

We are considering converting to Solar energy to power our home, and in the process, we've seen some statistics comparing our consumption in comparison to our neighbors' consumption.

We are dismayed to find out that our home sucks about double the power of other comparable homes in our neighborhood. We can't figure out what is causing this and would like to have a professional evaluate our electricity usage and help us correct this. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A PROFESSIONAL WHO COULD GET TO THE BOTTOM OF OUR POWER DRAIN???

From everything we've read, central air conditioning is the most common cause of excess energy consumption, but we do not have an air conditioner. We air dry our clothes and use our dryer only for bed linens and towels. We have a low energy washing machine. All of our light bulbs are LEDs. In the winter, we keep our thermostat around 65-68 F. Our windows are old and leak a lot, which might account for winter, but I can't think it can make any difference in our excessive summer drain.

We seldom eat out, and I cook a lot, so that might account for some of it. However, our stovetop is gas. Only our oven is electric. I have a slow cooker and an electric pressure cooker but I can't imagine that would account for the huge discrepancy between our electric usage compared to our neighbors.

Our home sits largely in trees so only a small portion of our roof would be capable of producing, and the solar power we could generate would not come close to covering what we draw. If we could curb our power usage to what we could generate ourselves, it would be worthwhile to convert. If not, it would be a waste.

Do any of you all know of a professional that can evaluate our home and get to the bottom of why we use so much power??? Suggestions & tips from our neighbors would be great, but honestly, we've read all the "how-to" articles and are already doing most of the things that are supposed to be energy-wise. So we are seeking recommendations from our neighbors for a professional rather than advice on how to save power. We are wondering if there is something wrong with our house wiring! :yikes:

Thanks for any help you can give!

"The Framers of the Constitution knew that free speech is the friend of change and revolution. But they also knew that it is always the deadliest enemy of tyranny. "
~Hugo Black~

Last edited by Rubicon on Sep 17, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Electricity Overuse! What is the cause???
Post Posted: Sep 17, 2019 6:04 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
IREA will come out and give you an evaluation.

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2019 6:14 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Have you considered your well pump? If your pressure tank is failing, it would cause your pump to run a lot to keep up your water pressure; same if you have a water leak somewhere.

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2019 7:04 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Look at a product made by Sense. It connects in your electric panel and over time produces a visual aid to what is using electricity real-time. Really works! I install these and solar, etc. if interested.

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2019 8:25 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
How much was your last months bill?

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2019 10:44 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Shows you are in Evergreen ? Aren't you on Xcel for gas and electric combined billing ? They will come out and evaluate what is happening. It can be a combination or one thing pulling.

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2019 1:00 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Yes have your utility company come out. They do FREE energy audits.

As determined by a free IREA energy audit, my biggest energy hogs are my refrigerator and freezer but they are within the normal range for those appliances. A newer energy star refrigerator might save me about $2 a month.

But if you have electric heat of any type that is usually the biggest energy cost.

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2019 7:58 pm 
Pine Girl wrote:
IREA will come out and give you an evaluation.

Thanks for the idea! We don't have IREA but I'll contact Excel Energy to see if they will do the same!

MntsLocale wrote:
Have you considered your well pump? If your pressure tank is failing, it would cause your pump to run a lot to keep up your water pressure; same if you have a water leak somewhere.

That is something I've never thought about, but several people have mentioned it. I'll check that out!

green electric wrote:
Look at a product made by Sense. It connects in your electric panel and over time produces a visual aid to what is using electricity real-time. Really works! I install these and solar, etc. if interested.

I've never heard of Sense. Can you give me a web link or phone number? Thanks!

Freezeman wrote:

Our house is around 3200 sq ft and our bills average about $350 per month. More in winter but it is still pretty high in summer, too. It is puzzling because we don't have an air conditioner and we would have expected our bills to go down a lot in the summer, instead of just a little.

missfrog wrote:
Shows you are in Evergreen ? Aren't you on Xcel for gas and electric combined billing ? They will come out and evaluate what is happening. It can be a combination or one thing pulling.

Yes, we are in Evergreen, and have Xcel Energy. Good idea to have them come out. I hadn't realized that they would do that. Thanks!

CooknThyme wrote:
Yes have your utility company come out. They do FREE energy audits.

As determined by a free IREA energy audit, my biggest energy hogs are my refrigerator and freezer but they are within the normal range for those appliances. A newer energy star refrigerator might save me about $2 a month.

But if you have electric heat of any type that is usually the biggest energy cost.

Our heat is a forced air gas furnace. We have a couple of deep freezers in our garage that might be draining us. Thank you for your ideas.

"The Framers of the Constitution knew that free speech is the friend of change and revolution. But they also knew that it is always the deadliest enemy of tyranny. "
~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2019 8:01 pm 
Thanks for all the helpful ideas, guys! There is a lot to think about here and you all have given me some great leads to check out. I especially appreciate the suggestions to have Excel Energy evaluate our energy consumption! Y'all are great!

~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2019 10:00 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Rubicon wrote:

Freezeman wrote:

Our house is around 3200 sq ft and our bills average about $350 per month. More in winter but it is still pretty high in summer, too. It is puzzling because we don't have an air conditioner and we would have expected our bills to go down a lot in the summer, instead of just a little.

$350??!!??

That is definitely NOT freezers or fridges. You can prove that easily with a little device called a "Kill a Watt" where you plug in your appliance into it which is plugged to the wall and it will total up the energy use for as long as you use it. I have a house just a bit smaller than yours with three fridge/freezers and my electric bill is about $70 - $80 with an electric oven and dryer but a gas hot water and forced air.

My guess is you have a serious problem with a 240 volt draw like a well pump. I've measured firdge/freeaers and they run about $3 - $6 per MONTH.

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2019 10:27 pm 
sunsetinthepines wrote:
Rubicon wrote:

Freezeman wrote:

$350??!!??

That is definitely NOT freezers or fridges. You can prove that easily with a little device called a "Kill a Watt" where you plug in your appliance into it which is plugged to the wall and it will total up the energy use for as long as you use it. I have a house just a bit smaller than yours with three fridge/freezers and my electric bill is about $70 - $80 with an electric oven and dryer but a gas hot water and forced air.

My guess is you have a serious problem with a 240 volt draw like a well pump. I've measured firdge/freeaers and they run about $3 - $6 per MONTH.

Thanks, Sunset in the Pines. It has been this way for more than 20 years and I've always thought there was something not right about it. This gives me some confidence that I am not just imagining this.

~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: Sep 18, 2019 9:17 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
That is high seems strange to not investigate it 20 years ago?
Hot tub?
Electric heated drive/walk way?
Heated roofing for ice dams?
Bad electric water heater?

I would get this checked out quick as what ever it is could become a fire hazard.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next