It is currently Jun 22, 2018 8:51 pm 

:attention:
Please read the forum introduction topic to learn what this forum is about,
what type of requests you can make, or how you can help.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Need carpentry or construction help (deck repairs)!
Post Posted: May 7, 2017 1:46 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I hate asking for help, most of us do. I am a senior citizen living alone in Bailey with a lot of medical issues. On the 19th of June I will be having my entire spine fused, top to bottom (my seventh major surgery in just the past three years). After a week in the hospital I will be staying in a rehab facility for up to a month to complete my recovery. The problem is this...my front deck is uneven and is actually tilting toward the road! And after returning home there will be people coming and going with medical equipment and to provide the necessary physical and occupational therapy that will be required. This deck is totally and completely unsafe! And just this morning someone stopped by and the top step just split in two sending this poor unfortunate lad to the ground (with almost a nail through his heel). One thing that would really help if someone could come by and just replace that one top step that goes up to the deck at the front door before someone gets hurt. Someone almost did today and that frightens me. I realize that this is the wrong time of the year to ask for any help of this kind, but as I understand it, this is the project if anyone can help me:

Deck jacked up with four new footings! Lag bolts securing deck to house. Stairs straightened. And that should do it! The deck needs to be sanded and stained too, but that is the least of my worries at this time. I just want it to be safe for anyone who comes to see me. It's going to be one very long summer around here and having this off my plate is a huge deal for me. I hope that someone has the time and compassion in their heart to perhaps help me in some way. Thank you for any consideration!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Need carpentry or construction help (deck repairs)!
Post Posted: May 8, 2017 11:15 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Have called the Senior Coalition in Fairplay? They may able to give some locals who can help.

Post Posted: May 8, 2017 11:40 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
No I haven't but a great idea! I just checked and the top step is actually gone! I would be happy with just a single board nailed to the risers so that there is a place for at least someone to step. I really am afraid that someone could get hurt. So thanks for the suggestion and I will look into it today. I have no idea what all they do but it is worth investigating. Have a wonderful day and thanks for your reply!

Post Posted: May 8, 2017 1:59 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
What neighborhood are you in? I have some time off coming up next week. I'm facing a total hip so I don't think I could do everything that needs doing but I can probably fix the broken step. I would need some dimensions so I know what to buy for lumber. If you can post pictures, I might be able to tell if there's more I can do.

Post Posted: May 8, 2017 2:19 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I actually have had two total hip replacements (plus two total shoulder replacements)! And I am so sorry that you have to go through that too. When is the big day? I will take a couple of photos on Wednesday and would be happy to either post to this ad (not sure how but will try) or could email if that would be easier. And just getting this one step added would make a huge difference when it comes to safety. I live in Elk Creek Highlands near KZ Ranch, off of 43 and 47. So let me try to get the measurements and a photo and I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am!!!! Thanks again! Lori

Post Posted: May 8, 2017 2:32 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I live very near by. I can drop by Friday afternoon on my way home from work to see what we're looking at needing done the most. I don't have a date for hip replacement. The other one has already been done so I know where this one is headed. I'm not going to see a surgeon until it gets a bit worse. I'll PM you my email. We can set something up from there.

Post Posted: May 8, 2017 3:56 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Thanks Ridgewalker!

Lonewolf Field Services - HVAC Contractor

Post Posted: May 8, 2017 4:05 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
No problem, Stecat. You've got some serious resting up to do. One of these days, maybe we can do a project together again!

Post Posted: May 12, 2017 4:12 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Calling all hands. We start work tommorow morning. PLEASE let me know via PM if you can help. I'll repky witb the address and directions. We start at 10 a.m. Tools and supplies are covered but feel free to bring an extra shovel or post hole digger.

This lady really needs our help!

Post Posted: May 13, 2017 5:03 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
The deck is level and safe with new footers. Thank you so very much, Kim!!!!

Rova and I will do some more structural work tommorow as well as replacing the broken stair tred. We will be posting a date soon to sand and stain the deck. Hope we can more people for the final push.

Post Posted: May 13, 2017 5:15 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I can't begin to thank you enough for all of your hard work today! It gives me such comfort to know that this deck is finally safe, thanks to Kathy, Trisha and Kim! All you worked like true champions, putting in a long and exhausting day. I don't think you really know just how much I appreciate everything that you all did! Thanks again and again and....

Post Posted: May 13, 2017 6:45 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
We could see it in your smile. Can't wait to finish the job and enjoy some R&R with you!

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next