Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: American Alsatian puppies
Post Posted: Oct 1, 2018 6:39 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
American Alsatian puppies!!!
The "Direwolf Dog".
Expected in February, ready to go in April 2019, accepting applications NOW for our waiting list.

http://www.shawnasdoglife.com/fennario-kennels
720-369-0736
direwolfdog@outlook.com

Post subject: Re: American Alsatian puppies
Post Posted: Oct 6, 2018 11:21 pm 
With all due respect I think it's important for anyone who is interested in these mixed breed puppies--because this is not a breed--to note:

That the below contents were copied from the mentor of this poster via her website--puppies are regularly inbred, not health tested at appropriate times if at all, and additionally can be bred back to back to back for the profit of the "breeder"

I'm not usually one to post to these types of notations on pinecam or anywhere but the "breeding practices" if that's what you want to call this are disgusting in my opinion. For example they have noted to have done eye testing and found a male to have eye problems within genetics and are choosing to breed regularly with him. No responsible breeder does that.

From this persons "mentors" website:

Now, for the first time, in one comprehensive volume, we will reveal all of the reasons why we:
refuse to participate in AKC, UKC, ARBA, etc
reject the "wait-to-breed" model of dog breeding
regularly and systematically crossbreed with other dog breeds
inbreed on superior dogs within the project
breed for an exact replication of an extinct species of wolf
sell dogs for profit
call our dogs strongbred instead of purebred
claim to produce healthy dogs despite formally health testing every single dog within the project.

If you don't believe me go look yourself:

http://www.direwolfdogs.com

I would implore anyone wanting a mix of husky, shepherd, or malamute to get one from a shelter or rescue--there are plenty that no one wants. And eventually -at least some- of these puppies and dogs will end up in that same place.

Save yourself and future puppies--go to a responsible breeder or get a mixed breed that's a rescue rather than paying 1,000-4,000 dollars for one of these mixed breed dogs that are known to genetic issue carriers that are being bred for high profit when they are 12 months old. It's just irresponsible and unnecessary.

Post subject: Re: American Alsatian puppies
Post Posted: Oct 8, 2018 7:19 am 
I'm not usually one to reply to these sorts of accusations either - because 15 minutes of looking at the website does not give the entire truth, and I have no hope of educating you in one post. But, in this case I'll answer some of this it is incomplete information written in such a way that the reader may feel they have been fully informed.

If you can define what makes a breed a "breed" - well, I'll bake you a pie. I'll give you a hint - it's genetic similarity. How do genetics become similar? Inbreeding. Thats right, motherxson - brotherxsister. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO CREATE A BREED. I'll say it again. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO CREATE A BREED. All of your beloved shih tzu's, retreivers and mastiffs were brought about through inbreeding. Look it up. But we will never be at that point of such low gentic diversity that we will be a PURE BREED. We will always have a plethora of gentic diversity - because we don't breed by pedigree or how pretty the dog is. We care about the generations to come.
Continuing to use a male that shows eye problems. Nope not true. First, the eye condition is genetically recessive. No dogs show the condition as dominant, and because we breed genetically, we know not to pair two recessives ect ect on down the line. No one outside of the project will American Alsatians, and the education required to certify to breed these dogs is intense. It requires a two year internship for starters. Anyway, The male fathered three litters. He retired from the project last year. No pups were bred that have CMR. If there are any other conditions that are carried recessively, WE (the holders of the breeding program) will continue to breed against it, and through a very rigid blueprint of breeding dogs - eliminate it from the lines entirely.

Health testing - lets take OFA hip/elbow for example. That xry tells us that the dog xrayed, at one year old, does not have displasia. and thats it. The xrays do not tell you if the dog's progeny will develope it. The hypothetical dog ni question comes from not displasiatic lines for the past thirty years. These are dogs that have been in the project for 50 generations, never developing the condition. Plainly put - if it ain't there, it ain't there. So, we can waste money and xray everyone. OR - we can DNA test for all sorts of conditions, and responsibly breed from there.

and so - for the rest of it - there's a book coming out in the spring - it will be available on amazon, and the whole EDUCATED story will be in that book. I implore you to read it. Couple other books for your horizon broadening: THE DOG MERCHANTS - inside the big business of breeding and RESCUES. by Kim Kavin. You'll be saddened by the way rescues are taking. and another: Control of Canine Genetic Diseases by Dr. Padgett. Both of these are available on amazon, and some local libraries digiatlly. PLEASE - educate yourself.

and lastly, yes please do go to the pound, rescue what ever, - there are so so many dogs that have been bred irrisponsibly that you can adopt and many will improve your life and you'll be happy you did. Husky's, malamutes and shepherds can be very hard to keep because they have a high prey drive, bark incessantly and wander away from home - they come with behavior or health problems that caused no one to want them. I know you have the time and the money to handle them. Our dogs are bred solely for companionship - with the tendency to stay close to home, quiet and intuitive. Easy to keep - no challenge and so probably very boring.

As far as profit....did you miss the part about the dogs that are donated as service dogs? Our puppy buyers are fully aware that a portion of their cost is considered donation towards the service dog, and it's costly training. Plus consider the cost of keeping all of our breeding dogs - from birth. We don't use dogs who were not born into the project unless it's an outcross. Then we buy that pup and raise it to one year before breeding the dog. Right now we only produce about 30 pups a year - IN THE PROJECT AS A WHOLE. How many Golden Retrievers were registered with the AKC last year? I don't know but it was alot more 30. and who benefits from all that registration? well...I'll leave you to mull that one over.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]