It is currently Jun 19, 2018 5:41 pm 

If you enter a post in this forum that violates the Pinecam Terms of Service,
you may get a suspension with no warning.

note: quotes must be 4 or fewer sentences/the source cited, by URL if online

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: up coming elections!
Post Posted: May 31, 2018 8:38 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I would like to begin by thanking Guyot guy for starting the thread about the sheriff's election, it sparked a degree of discussion we don't often see in our local elections.

I'm hoping to expand this to some of the other positions that are up for election. I live in Park County, but I think the questions I'll to start with, would be relevant to candidates and voters in other counties also. The questions asked are directed toward candidates, but i'm hoping to also generate input, ideas, opinions, criticism, and other questions from others as well.

Question directed toward School board candidates:
The topic of dedicated (full time) School resource officers in all schools, has come up in the sheriff's election. What are your thoughts on the need for this? If it were determined that the cost of of this position was to fall on the school budget, where would it be in your priorities?

Question for county commissioner candidates:
What would your opinion be about a new tax, sales or property, that is directed solely for the use of one department that the commissioners already have budgetary oversight of?

Post subject: Re: up coming elections!
Post Posted: Jun 1, 2018 7:27 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Scalawagy wrote:

Question directed toward School board candidates:
The topic of dedicated (full time) School resource officers in all schools, has come up in the sheriff's election. What are your thoughts on the need for this? If it were determined that the cost of of this position was to fall on the school budget, where would it be in your priorities?

Scalawagy, there are no school board elections this year, they happen on odd years.

Post Posted: Jun 1, 2018 8:07 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Thanks wgirl, I thought I had read something about a candidate for that position, and made an incorrect assumption.
However, I would still be interested to here some opinions from others, especially if faced with the choice between a SRO or another teacher.

Post Posted: Jun 13, 2018 11:06 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
In our local election there are two other offices that are being contested in this Republican primary, the commissioner, district 3 and the County assessor. Both positions also have a single Democratic candidate on the Democratic ballot, so the contest for these positions will continue thru the general election.

I had hoped to get some discussion started with issue questions. That went over like a lead balloon, so maybe you want to talk about the candidates?

Commissioner: Ray Douglas vs. Pat Stoinski
This is an important job! these three people oversee the county budget, the make decisions, some of them are kept secret, that affect our daily lives. Yet we seem to pay much more attention to federal and state wide politics. I'm not claiming to be any better or to have any greater insight. In fact I might just be a classic example of the "Stepford Wife, Sheeple" that another poster called us.

I've not met either candidate, My knowledge of them comes from their web sites, articles in the paper and the filers they have sent out in the mail. I suspect a fair amount of voters fall into the same category.

My thoughts:
At first I was leaning toward Ray Douglas, Collage grad, local business man, active in community events, local politics and the county Republican party. Seems to be the man for the job!

Then I re-read Pat Stoinski's resume, and had to ask myself if perhaps I was being a bit dismissive, chauvinistic perhaps? Her life experience and achievements are no less impressive.

Their ideals and values seem similar, but perhaps Mr. Douglas is a part of the park county Republican machine? Is there such a thing? Perhaps Mrs. Stoinski is more of an outsider? Maybe more willing to question and challenge conventional thinking.

County assessor: David Wissel vs. Monica Jones
same personal knowledge as with the commissioner candidates.
again my thoughts:
Mr. Wissel: He has had the job for what? almost forever. I've never had any issue with him. The only time I felt my assessment was unfair, I filed an appeal, explaining my reasoning, and my assessment was lowered. His web site speaks of awards and other accolades. This ship seems to be moving smooth and strait. Why mess with the sails?

Then I get the mailing early this month from Ms. Jones. She raises questions about Mr. Wissel's motives for wanting another term. She speaks of accusations of impropriety by Mr. Wissel. Is there anything to these questions she raises? Is her apparent lack of experience more of an issue than her accusations? Is it maybe time for a change in the assessor's office?

These are just thoughts going thru my head as I look at my ballot. I would be interested in other thoughts and opinions.

Post Posted: Jun 14, 2018 9:04 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Does Ms. Jones have any substance to her accusations? Any specific instance of dishonesty or impropriety? If not, then its just campaign politics.

Great peace have they who love Thy law, and nothing shall offend them... Ps 118:165

Post Posted: Jun 14, 2018 1:00 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Here is one we should all get behind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVDkKer37BM

Post Posted: Jun 14, 2018 1:10 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
New Bear wrote:
Here is one we should all get behind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVDkKer37BM

Before I click on a link so that it receives more views, can you please state who the candidate is? Thanks.

Post Posted: Jun 14, 2018 2:40 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
The link is for a democrat in Weld County????
Mrs. BGR

Post Posted: Jun 14, 2018 3:10 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Does that have anything to do with the Park County Sheriff's race? :question:

Post Posted: Jun 14, 2018 8:42 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
DaisyLover wrote:
Does that have anything to do with the Park County Sheriff's race? :question:

There are other races to be decided beside the shreff's! We do have a commissioner to elect, it could be argued, that is at least as important as the sheriff!

Post Posted: Jun 14, 2018 8:44 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Yes, so true. This election is a big one/active one.

Post Posted: Jun 14, 2018 9:35 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
gia58 wrote:
Yes, so true. This election is a big one/active one.

Yes gia58, it's a big one, Their all big ones! But I have to wonder how active we really are?
Maybe we're just paying attention to the "breaking News scroll" at the bottom of the screen!
DaisyLover's post makes me wonder if we're paying enough attention to the other deletes in life that really matter?

can any one on this forum give me a well thought out argument as to why they are voting for a particular candidate for commissioner in this primary?

Can someone tell me anything about, Peter Yu, Dennis Hissy or Stephnie Luck?

Yes, I know who I voting for, for sheriff (this years "breaking news"), but the rest is important too!

I have work to do, and I think others do too.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next