It is currently Oct 15, 2018 9:30 pm 

If you enter a post in this forum that violates the Pinecam Terms of Service,
you may get a suspension with no warning.

note: quotes must be 4 or fewer sentences/the source cited, by URL if online

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

How Are You Voting on Park County Issues 1A, 1B, 1C (vote for each)
Yes on 1A 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
No on 1A 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Undecided on 1A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes on 1B 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
No on 1B 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Undecided on 1B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes on 1C 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
No on 1C 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
Undecided on 1C 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 39
 Post subject: Park County Issues 1A, 1B, and 1C
Post Posted: Oct 7, 2018 4:33 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
From Park County Sample Ballots:

Quote:
PARK COUNTY BALLOT QUESTION 1A
WITHOUT INCREASING TAXES, SHALL THE EXISTING PARK COUNTY 1% SALES TAX APPROVED AS REFERENDUM 1A BY THE PARK COUNTY ELECTORS ON NOVEMBER 7, 1997 BE REAUTHORIZED AND EXTENDED ANNUALLY FOR THE PERIOD BEGINNING JANUARY 1, 2019 AND ENDING ON DECEMBER 31, 2028,
AND SHALL THE MONEYS RECEIVED FROM SUCH SALES TAX CONTINUE TO BE RECEIVED AND SPENT BY THE COUNTY IN ANY YEAR WITHOUT REGARD TO ANY SPENDING, REVENUE-RAISING, OR OTHER CONSTITUTIONAL LIMITATION,
WITH THE REVENUES DERIVED FROM SUCH 1% SALES TAX CONTINUING TO BE USED EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE PRESERVATION, PROTECTION, ACQUISITION, IMPROVEMENT AND MAINTENANCE OF PARK COUNTY'S REMAINING WATER RESOURCES, AND LANDS IN PARK COUNTY CONTAINING ASSOCIATED WATER RIGHTS AND WATER RESOURCES?

Quote:
PARK COUNTY BALLOT QUESTION 1B
SHALL THE PERMITTED USES OF THE PROCEEDS OF THE 1% LAND AND WATER TRUST FUND SALES TAX INCLUDE THE PRESERVATION, PROTECTION, ACQUISITION, LEASING, IMPROVEMENT AND MAINTENANCE OF WATER RIGHTS, WATER SYSTEMS/STRUCTURES, OPEN SPACE, AND WILDLIFE AND OUTDOOR RECREATION RESOURCES?

Quote:
PARK COUNTY BALLOT QUESTION 1C
SHALL THE PARK COUNTY SALES TAX BE INCREASED BY $2,500,000.00 IN FISCAL YEAR 2019 (FIRST FULL FISCAL YEAR DOLLAR INCREASE) AND BY WHATEVER AMOUNTS ARE RAISED ANNUALLY THEREAFTER, BY LEVYING A TWO PERCENT (TWO PENNIES PER DOLLAR) SALES TAX UPON EVERY TRANSACTION OR OTHER INCIDENT WITH RESPECT TO WHICH A SALES TAX IS LEVIED IN COLORADO (EXCLUDING PURCHASES OF FOOD FOR DOMESTIC HOME CONSUMPTION, PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS, RESIDENTIAL UTILITY BILLS, OR OTHER EXEMPT TRANSACTIONS AS DETAILED IN ARTICLES 26 AND 30, TITLE 39, AS AMENDED, OF THE COLORADO REVISED STATUTES) BEGINNING JANUARY 1, 2019 AND CONTINUING THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2023, WITH THE REVENUES DERIVED FROM SUCH 2% SALES TAX INCREASE TO BE USED ONLY FOR PUBLICLY-FUNDED FIRE, EMERGENCY MEDICAL, AMBULANCE, COMMUNICATION AND LAW ENFORCEMENT SERVICES IN PARK COUNTY AS SET FORTH IN PARK COUNTY BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONER RESOLUTION NO. 18-32, AND SHALL THE MONEYS RECEIVED FROM SUCH SALES TAX CONTINUE TO BE RECEIVED AND DISTRIBUTED BY THE COUNTY IN ANY YEAR WITHOUT REGARD TO ANY SPENDING, REVENUE-RAISING, OR OTHER CONSTITUTIONAL LIMITATION?

If you have any links or further information on these ballot measures, please PM or email us.

Please vote in the above poll and then let us know why you made that choice. You can revise your vote if you change your mind.

Vote 3 times, once for 1A and once for 1B and once for 1C.

Post subject: Re: Park County Issues 1A, 1B, and 1C
Post Posted: Oct 7, 2018 5:41 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Moderators, the text in the ballot above reads 1a, 2b, and 2c instead of 1a, 1b, and 1c.

Great peace have they who love Thy law, and nothing shall offend them... Ps 118:165

Post Posted: Oct 7, 2018 6:04 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Thanks for the heads up, we fixed the poll text.

Post Posted: Oct 8, 2018 7:29 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I'm surprised at the numbers voting against 1C, possibly thinking of this as new taxes. I prefer to think of this as an offset to my property tax, which has been steadily declining from 21% down to the current 7.2%, and even lower next year. This decline has meant a severe decline in revenue for our first responder agencies. 1C would return that money to continue the level of services we currently receive, and if people decide they don't like it after a few years, it will expire automatically. Sounds like a good way to support our men and women in blue (and red) without a long term commitment.

Great peace have they who love Thy law, and nothing shall offend them... Ps 118:165

Post Posted: Oct 8, 2018 7:48 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
the text quoted above has this
REVENUES DERIVED FROM SUCH 2% SALES TAX INCREASE TO BE USED ONLY FOR PUBLICLY-FUNDED FIRE, EMERGENCY MEDICAL, AMBULANCE, COMMUNICATION AND LAW ENFORCEMENT SERVICES IN PARK COUNTY

How does the word PUBLICLY affect this tax? Would Platte Canyon fire be able to receive any of these funds? or would the fact that they area special district entity affect that. Isn't there another measure on the ballot specifically for Platte Canyon fire?

Other points to consider, with a sales tax, a large part of the total collected would come from nonresidents, the 285 boat and rv crowd, that would be a plus. the down side is it would impact the residents on the Fairplay side of the county more so than the those on the Bailey side.

Post Posted: Oct 8, 2018 10:51 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
tmjbp wrote:
I'm surprised at the numbers voting against 1C, possibly thinking of this as new taxes. I prefer to think of this as an offset to my property tax, which has been steadily declining from 21% down to the current 7.2%, and even lower next year. This decline has meant a severe decline in revenue for our first responder agencies. 1C would return that money to continue the level of services we currently receive, and if people decide they don't like it after a few years, it will expire automatically. Sounds like a good way to support our men and women in blue (and red) without a long term commitment.

Regarding the property tax - not a true comparison. If your house is assessed 3 times higher since 1980 something when it was 21% then your taxes have NOT gone down. Also, the mill levy rates have probably gone up since then

Post Posted: Oct 9, 2018 9:47 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
The Gallagher amendment has lowered what I am paying today for property tax compared to what I would be paying had the amendment not been in place. Yes, on a real dollar level I pay more now than 20 years ago, but adjusted for inflation, etc, Gallagher has cut what my expense would be. I don't mind giving some of this back to the agencies that have seen their funds shrink over the years.

And yes, PCFD will be getting these funds as it is a "publicly funded" agency. It doesn't matter that it is a special district. The funds still come from us, the public. The other PCFD ballot issue is to cover their income loss in the event this proposal doesn't pass. If both fail, they will really be hurting.

Post Posted: Oct 10, 2018 10:09 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
According to the Park County "blue book", which is actually white, someone is saying the 1% sales tax in 1A has already built up a 3.5 million dollar surplus. If that's true, we could vote down 1A and vote for 1C for emergency services and our tax rate would just go from 1% to 2%. I'm going to have to research this more.

Post Posted: Oct 11, 2018 11:45 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I have been a strong advocate for the LWTF tax since inception. South Park citizens were clear in support for funding a mechanism that was targeted toward preserving ranches and protecting these and other large holdings from unwanted development and to purchase or lease water rights, all to preserve quality of life and environmental aspects. I cannot support LWTF focus on funding that is clearly inconsistent with original concept and citizen intent, actually appearing to be in direct conflict with these aspects. It would be unfortunate if LWTF has become victim to those who view it as their cash cow and rife for mismanagement and abuse.

Post Posted: Oct 11, 2018 12:52 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Yep, I agree, Guyot Guy. This is beginning to go way beyond the voters' original intent. I switched my vote to no on 1A. I have confirm3d with an elected official that there really is a 3.5 mil surplus already, so let's quit putting more money in the pot. If we discontinue this tax and pass 1C, the sales tax only increases 1%.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]