It is currently Aug 17, 2017 5:22 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: IREA FYI - system sequence when you see lights "flicker"
Post Posted: Apr 19, 2017 6:17 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
This is good information from IREA about sequence when power goes out and how the system tries to fix itself:
this was posted by IREA MAN in this post from 2015: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=200930&p=1647157&hilit=power#p1647157
I thought it was worth extracting and publishing for general information.

"On our system the larger devices (circuit breakers) that turn the power off for "temporary" faults like lightning, slapping wires from wind or critters that get where they don't belong etc. will do so as follows:

1) At the first moment of the fault the power will kick off for a second then come back on.
2) If the fault is still there it will go off again and be off for another second.
3) It will do this fairly rapidly 3 times
4) and then on the fourth time it will go off and stay off.

I am sure many have seen this in their lights during a storm. If your line is protected by a one time fuse (that just means you are further out on the line) and the fault is down line from that fuse you may only see one or two blinks then the lights will go out and stay out. This narrows down the area we have to look in to fix whatever is wrong."

Post subject: Re: IREA FYI - system sequence when you see lights "flicker"
Post Posted: Apr 21, 2017 9:32 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Good to know, but it seems like there are a lot of "flickers" that are long enough in duration to shut everything off, kill the clocks, shut off the heat, etc. It's so aggravating to go around resetting everything only to have it happen again a few hours later. Seems like it's happening a lot lately. Isn't that hard on the electronics to be popped off and on again? I keep wondering if they are not spending money wisely. I'm no expert tho.

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]