It is currently Apr 26, 2017 11:15 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Washing Machine Recommendation
Post Posted: Apr 19, 2017 10:07 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I bought my Samsung washer within the past two years.
It got recalled. What an ordeal that was.
They sent a repairman. He was wonderful.He kept a great attitude, even though by the time he got here it was dark, and they sent him in a van with no 4 wheel drive. It was just after a snow and he couldn't access my house because of my long steep snow covered driveway.
He had to park at the bottom, and walk all the way up (and back down) with his gear.
Did I mention he worked for Dish Network? The icing on the cake! I asked him if that meant I could now watch TV on my washer.
Just a "head's up" about Samsung and their products and practices.

Post Posted: Apr 19, 2017 10:49 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
At least it didn't catch fire... (I hope)
Mrs. BGR

Post Posted: Apr 20, 2017 9:53 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
We purchased an LG large capacity top loader HE washer (with accompanying dryer) a little less than 2 yrs ago and I LOVE it!!!

Previously, we had a GE front loader HE washer which I hated! The rubber ring in front was constantly molding and was disgusting to clean and made the clothes smell awful unless we used very scented detergent and softener (which one of my daughters is allergic to).

The LGs were expensive but I've found they can handle very large loads of jeans, towels, and blankets and get them clean very well. They do use less water than traditional machines which is why they can take longer to go through a cycle, but less water is a bonus if you're on septic and end up having to do a lot of laundry.

Two caveats: the washer is BIG, and yes, as someone else said, I feel like I'm practically falling into it every time I move clothes from washer to dryer (I'm 5'2" for reference). Also, not being able to use bleach my whites seem to only get really white if I run the 'sanitary' cycle which is almost 3 hrs long and definitely uses more water. I don't really care that much about the whiteness of my whites but I know that's a really big deal for some. I do like the sanitary feature though, as some of my young ones still have accidents on a regular basis.

Sorry to hear about your machine and hope you find something soon!

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Post Posted: Apr 20, 2017 10:47 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
BioChemMom wrote:
The LGs were expensive but I've found they can handle very large loads of jeans, towels, and blankets and get them clean very well. They do use less water than traditional machines which is why they can take longer to go through a cycle, but less water is a bonus if you're on septic and end up having to do a lot of laundry.

Do you know how the water usage compares with front-load HE washers?

Post Posted: Apr 20, 2017 2:16 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
We have a Frigidaire that we bought used off pinecam three years ago. It has been perfect!

Post Posted: Apr 20, 2017 6:53 pm 
Hey keg,

I didn't know the answer off-hand, but a quick search led me to an article by consumer reports a couple years ago:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news ... /index.htm

They said this about front loaders:

"As a group these typically clean better than HE top-loaders and use less water and their high spin speed extracts more water so dryer time is cut. Most front-loaders can handle about 17 to 28-pound loads. Water used: Most scored excellent in water efficiency meaning they used about 13 gallons of water or less to wash an 8-pound load, including the top-rated Samsung WF56H9110CW and the LG WM8500HVA, each $1,450, and the Maytag Maxima MHW5100DW, $950. Each washer used around 10 gallons to wash our 8-pound load."

And they said this about HE top loaders:

"Most high-efficiency top-loaders hold more laundry (17 to 28 pounds) than agitator top-loaders and typically wash better. HE top-loaders use a lot less water and their higher spin speed reduces dryer time by extracting more water.
Heads up: "If an HE top-loader senses a severe imbalance the washer may keep adding rinses until the problem is resolved—we've seen up to 100 gallons used on some models—or until an error warning flashes.”

Yikes!!!

I will say that I notice we use more water for the sanitary cycle than the normal cycle. I don't know by how much, but the counter on our UV filter goes down by 1 or 2 every time we run a sanitary cycle, while a normal cycle doesn't cause it to go down at all.

The consumer reports article is pretty informative and is relatively short.

Hope that helps!

:)

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Post Posted: Apr 20, 2017 9:03 pm 
Thanks, BioChemMom!

Post Posted: Apr 20, 2017 10:17 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
The main thing I like about my older (15 year top loader) Whirlpool washer is that it does the job without the ridiculously LONG cycle times the new washers have. A "normal" wash/rinse/spin cycle takes only about 30 minutes. When I visited my sister and wanted to do "one quick load", little did I know that my clothes would be hostage for nearly 2 hours! As for water use, I figure there really is very little difference in the weekly household total water use keeping the older machine - on the order of less than 1% total. Neither my washer or dryer has needed repairs in 15 years so I'm not going to tempt fate replacing them!

Post Posted: Apr 21, 2017 2:37 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
keg wrote:
BioChemMom wrote:

Do you know how the water usage compares with front-load HE washers?

We have an LG HE top loader and on normal loads it doesn't use much water but if you have a load that gets out of balance when it starts to spin it will stop and fill up with much more water than before slosh around a bit and try again. It will do this several times and waste a BUNCH of water instead of just trying a slower spin speed. Eventually it will give up and you have to balance the load manually.

We used to soak our white socks and towels over night in Oxyclean but these washer won't let you soak something over 30 minutes or they pump the water out of the tank as a "safety feature". They do this even if the washer is turned off. I got around this by putting a power strip on the wall to plug the washer into and after the load starts soaking I turn the machine off and turn the power on the power strip off. No power, you can pump the water out you %#$@&*.

Many times when soaking a load I have to add more water with a bucket to get enough to submerge all the clothes instead of turning the water level up a little like on the old agitator washers. All in all I would not buy another one.

Post Posted: Apr 22, 2017 8:17 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Have an LG-HE top loader and have adapted to its quirks. Bought HE for the better spinning to lessen dryer time. I usually add a quart of water to my load of clothes before I start it up. It senses more weight and adds extra water. If I have a larger load, I just use "bulky" cycle and use a full washer of water. My washer is on the main level and I listen for the spinning - to make sure that all is well. (never leave the washer on when I leave the house). I also discovered that you can't leave clothes soaking (to be finished later.) Soak cycle will add some time. I like a top loader because I can stop it and add or remove items (or more water) during the wash, and even to do some spot cleaning. Sometimes clothes will get twisted together. (A neighbor says she always uses "delicate" wash.) Mid-wash I have switched the washer to "spin" or "rinse & spin" to finish sooner but can't save much time. The "spin" cycle takes about 13 minutes. I'm happy I got a top loader.

Post Posted: Apr 22, 2017 8:44 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Miele are more expressive but if you are looking for quality there is none better.

https://m.mieleusa.com/domestic/washing ... s-1558.htm

Post Posted: Apr 22, 2017 12:56 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I have a set of about 4 year old Maytag front loader washer & dryer. I got Maytag because I previously had a front loader Maytag that I liked & lasted a long time, plus the new one would take large loads. I haven't had any repair problems, but the washer takes forever to do an average load - about 3 times as long as the old one & doesn't get the clothes any cleaner, though I'm OK with the cleanliness from the new one. My only complaint about the dryer is that it only cycles in one direction, so that if you put something large in it like a king size sheet, comforter, etc, it just balls up & I have to stop the dryer every few minutes & unwrap the stuff or it just gets dry on the outside & not on the inside. My old dryer reversed direction every few minutes & I never had that problem.

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next