It is currently Nov 21, 2017 12:23 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Please post election topics in the 2017 Election Discussion forum

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: What were you shooting at?
Post Posted: Jul 14, 2017 6:04 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
On Conifer mountain 7/14 at about 1:00am. I have many stories made up in my head, just want to know which is the real one :)

Post subject: Re: What were you shooting at?
Post Posted: Jul 14, 2017 10:49 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
At 1am, there's a chance it was someone scaring off a bear. I've used blanks in my 12ga before for that task.

Post Posted: Jul 14, 2017 10:59 am 
yep - my thoughts exactly - scaring off bear

Post Posted: Jul 14, 2017 7:56 pm 
same here, if they don't leave by me jumping up and down like an idiot, it is time for ear muffs and shotgun (not AT the bear, just the NOISE to get it to MOVE)

Post Posted: Jul 15, 2017 10:14 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
An air horn, while still startling at 1am, would probably be less disruptive to the neighbors ... not to mention less potentially lethal, if firing live rounds.

Post Posted: Jul 15, 2017 10:47 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Well, I think everyone stated the obvious. I didn't mention that there were maybe 5 rounds shot. Here's some alternatives that I was thinking of:
1. I had gum on my shoe and was trying to get it off.
2. What is this thing, and what happens when I pull this doo hickey.
3. I want to record this sound for my new ringtone.
4. If a gun shoots in the woods and nobody is around, does it still make a sound?

I was actually hoping the shooter would see the post and tell me what he was shooting at so that I could be on the looking for the animal, or so I would avoid the area he/she was walking in so I don't have gum on my shoe too.

Post Posted: Jul 15, 2017 2:18 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Shooting a gun past sunset by one hour is illegal...I don't care if it is a bear. If you kill the bear you will be charged ...remember the jerk in Evergreen a couple of years ago. If it was I and you know the neighbor and have a friendly relationship, I would speak first. If it is not so friendly, you need to report this to the sheriff. The report, even the next morning, works. 2nd time, call the sheriff immediately. Usually shots at 1 AM, has alcohol involved. So stay away at the moment of fire arms being shot.

Post Posted: Jul 15, 2017 4:31 pm 
girl-living-life wrote:
Well,
1. I had gum on my shoe and was trying to get it off.

:coffee screen: :rof laughing:

Quote:

2. What is this thing, and what happens when I pull this doo hickey.
3. I want to record this sound for my new ringtone.
4. If a gun shoots in the woods and nobody is around, does it still make a sound.

:lol:

Neighbors Helping Neighbors

:go broncos:

Post Posted: Jul 15, 2017 5:45 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
MtRider wrote:
Shooting a gun past sunset by one hour is illegal...I don't care if it is a bear.

No, it isn't. There is no law that makes shooting after sunset, in and of itself, illegal.

Post Posted: Jul 16, 2017 12:41 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
MtRider wrote:
Shooting a gun past sunset by one hour is illegal...I don't care if it is a bear. If you kill the bear you will be charged ...remember the jerk in Evergreen a couple of years ago. If it was I and you know the neighbor and have a friendly relationship, I would speak first. If it is not so friendly, you need to report this to the sheriff. The report, even the next morning, works. 2nd time, call the sheriff immediately. Usually shots at 1 AM, has alcohol involved. So stay away at the moment of fire arms being shot.

Wow, hate to let the facts interfere with your opinions, but to my knowledge there is no state statute about time of day a firearm can be discharged. You might be in an HOA and have different rules - but those aren't state laws. And to sustain and imply that alcohol was a factor without knowing any details is purely ludicrous. Feel free to read the laws yourself. CRS 18-1-704 through 18-1-707. Not one states you can only use deadly force (firearm) during daylight hours. You might be thinking of the regulations for hunting, but even then some game can be take at night. If the property owner was defending his property from what he and others would reasonably believe to be a threat to him or his family, good for him. If he was being careless and reckless, then by all means, this is a different story. But one shot at 1am leads me to believe this was not a wanton and reckless act involving drunks.

There are other parts of the state/country that prohibit the discharge of firearms at any time. I'm certain there are homes and properties for sale there if you would feel safer.

Post Posted: Jul 16, 2017 1:31 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Mtrider it appears your opinion that shooting and killing a bear is a punishable offense is wrong. Depends on the situation, which none of us know. So not only is defending yourself at night legal, so is killing a bear as described in the statute below. And that's if it was a bear, could have been an intruder, or other wildlife...

And here's the statute on wildlife. CRS 33-3-106

(3) Nothing in this section shall make it unlawful to trap, kill, or otherwise dispose of bears, mountain lions, or dogs without a permit in situations when it is necessary to prevent them from inflicting death, damage, or injury to livestock, real property, a motor vehicle, or human life and additionally, in the case of dogs, when it is necessary to prevent them from inflicting death or injury to big game and to small game, birds, and mammals.  Any wildlife killed as permitted under this subsection (3) shall remain the property of the state, and such killing shall be reported to the division within five days.  The division may bring a civil action against the owner of any dog inflicting death or injury to any big game and to small game, birds, and mammals for the value of each game animal injured or killed.  The minimum value of each animal shall be as set forth in section 33-6-110.

Post Posted: Jul 16, 2017 7:35 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Well, if you were in Bailey it probably wouldn't even wake you up. Gunfire at any hour :-). It's the arrows around hunting season that worry me--can't hear 'em and they're just as dangerous at certain range. Conifer mountain may have the Bailey outlook as well. I've shot at raccoons (not live rounds) to discourage them at night from time to time.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next