It is currently Sep 21, 2017 10:35 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: HURRICANE RELIEF - a local way to help
Post Posted: Sep 5, 2017 7:32 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I don't post very often, but am looking for a few good souls to help out....

I have a good friend in the general contracting business who, in his words, “has been blessed with a NOW-thriving business”. He recently bought a new work van. He has been in communication with two distribution centers in Houston's outlying areas. He is hoping to fill his new work van up with relief items and take some time off from the business to help in the relief efforts. Houston is in his blood, and mine. The pictures I am seeing from my friends who still live there, and from old neighborhoods I frequented are…. haunting. There is no better word. Water is an unmatched force (so is fire. We are not forgetting our friends in the North West, but can only do one thing at a time). Relief efforts and items will be necessary for many many months to come in Houston as well as surrounding affected areas.

Chris is asking for help to fill up his van and at least one other van. He is in Lakewood, but has asked me to help spread the word in our mountain community. The centers he is working with are requesting everything from diapers to shovels. Cleaning supplies are a huge necessity, currently. Brooms, construction bags, dust masks, gloves, toiletries. Clothing is pretty well covered at this point. He will not be taking anything perishable or previously opened. They plan to leave in late September, or as soon as the vans can hold no more.

Spread word if you are so inclined. If you can muster up any of the items described above, I have scheduled a pick up time on Tuesday 9/12 from 5-6pm in the Staples parking lot, north end by the new Anytime Fitness location (look for the Dodge Journey with a black and white Foothill Events Photography logo on it). Or you can let me know and I can come to you! You can also call Chris directly. PM me: he has given the OK to provide his contact information for anyone wanting to know more.

Sure you can donate to Red-Cross or text a message to a number on your cell. In this way, you can also be assured that the items you buy and contribute are getting to people who truly need them, and are not going to overhead. We thank you for anything you can muster up! I sincerely hope to see you in the near future!!

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: HURRICANE RELIEF - a local way to help
Post Posted: Sep 6, 2017 6:43 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Hey Guys! I've received a couple PMs with good questions to answer: We're looking for latex gloves, for hygiene issues. But work gloves would likely be a benefit also! We need for items that can be distributed directly to individual homes without being opened from the manufacturer. I.e.: Costco-sized boxes of feminine products would likely end up at a clinic which is great but these distribution trucks are going directly into small towns and neighborhoods not central to Harris County, Houston City Limits, where the major media is.

All types of cleaning supplies, buckets, mops, sponges, etc are great. At this time, there is no such thing as too much of any one thing. One van is 1/3 full and I've seen vacuums, rubber boots of multiple sizes, fans, chainsaws, brooms, diapers, and boxes of clothes. The distribution centers are no longer in need of clothing. That's literally the only superfluous thing!

It was suggested that I pick up items at the Pinecam picnic this weekend. While that is a fantastic idea, my kids have appointments elsewhere, and I cannot attend. Perhaps someone would be willing to pick up items there and bring them Tuesday? Thanks for any interest in helping that way!

I hope to see you Tuesday. Or if you'd like me to come to you any evening this week, that`s fine too. I'm up on Conifer Mtn.

Post Posted: Sep 10, 2017 8:30 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Hey guys! The Harvey Relief vans are filling up! One van is closer to full! Any cleaning supplies/relief items you can donate are greatly appreciated! Remember, I will be in the Staples parking lot, by the new Anytime Fitness location from 5-6 PM on Tuesday for another pick-up. Look for the Dodge Journey with the black and white Foothill Events logo on it. Chris George and his vans are planning to leave around the 28th.

Post Posted: Sep 12, 2017 7:02 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Looking forward to seeing some of you today!

Post Posted: Sep 12, 2017 7:54 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I really wish we could! I love that these donations are going into the hands of local people who will distribute them. Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. I hope your vans are filled past their capacity. :)

After seeing the annual salaries of a couple of the big nonprofits, if I could afford to give money, it wouldn't be to them, even though they dominate the fund raising efforts.

Neighbors Helping Neighbors

:go broncos:

Post Posted: Sep 12, 2017 8:34 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Remember everyone: if you can't get to us, and still want to help, we are happy to come to you! I'm in Conifer, Chris is in Lakewood. Just let us know!

Post Posted: Sep 12, 2017 7:10 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
So thankful! After just 15 minutes, the Dodge was 1/3 filled up. By 6, I left with an almost full car and full heart! Thanks you too all who helped! Getting the supplies to Chris tomorrow, and working on a few pick- ups later this week. There still time, if you have anything to add!

Post Posted: Sep 14, 2017 1:20 pm 
aspenleaf wrote:
I really wish we could! I love that these donations are going into the hands of local people who will distribute them. Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. I hope your vans are filled past their capacity. :)

After seeing the annual salaries of a couple of the big nonprofits, if I could afford to give money, it wouldn't be to them, even though they dominate the fund raising efforts.

Absolutely - I've posted before about the big non-profs and would not give them a penny! The only charity that I support on a regular basis is The Salvation Army.

Here is a discussion from a couple of years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=200175&p=1641764&hilit=salvation+army#p1641764

Post Posted: Sep 15, 2017 9:55 am 
Yep, The Salvation Army and local aid is the way we would go, too.

Neighbors Helping Neighbors

:go broncos:

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]