It is currently Nov 22, 2017 8:03 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Please post election topics in the 2017 Election Discussion forum

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Just got buzzed...
Post Posted: Sep 11, 2017 2:08 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
The price of the sound of freedom ...

I am a retired Naval aviator with over 3000 hours flying Navy fighters. I also flew for a major air carrier and am very familiar with the civil side of aviation. I was trained as an aviation safety officer and accident investigator, I answered noise and low flying complaints as a CO and Group Commander and investigated numerous civilian damage complaints involving low flying [referred to as flat hatting in the Navy].

You can only tie the low altitude flying record, you can't beat it. There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are no old bold pilots.

The regulations governing low altitude flying have been written in blood. In my career I lost three friends to low altitude flying accidents, I participated in several mishap investigations and searches involving crashes due to low altitude flying and I made one trip to a residence with the Station Chaplain to tell a young wife that her husband wasn't ever coming home again because of a low altitude flying accident. I also investigated 100's of thousands of dollars worth of livestock injury and property damage claims due to excessively low flying in a Nevada military training range.

There's a time and place for low altitude flying if the flight is planned, briefed, flown in an appropriate military training area with known hazards, or on a low level training route, and properly debriefed in order to learn the trade of the fighter pilot. There are numerous military low altitude training areas available across the U.S. for fighter pilots to learn and practice their trade. None of the areas are around here.

The regulations are there to enable young bold pilots to develop experience and "common air sense" so they have a chance to become "old pilots".

Post Posted: Sep 11, 2017 3:34 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
And yet we have no compelling evidence that these pilots did anything wrong. All we have is a forum post from someone who is likely not an expert. I get that there's a great degree of boldness inherent in being a fighter pilot. But you don't get to be an F-22 pilot by being stupid.

So, maybe lighten up a bit, commander.

Post Posted: Sep 11, 2017 5:01 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I spent 40 years in military aviation and a few working for the FAA as an air traffic controller. I can agree with both sides here. The hard part, as BG says, is that unless you look at this stuff every day, the average person can't tell when an airplane is 500 above the ground. And in our hilly environment, that might not be 500 feet above you! I love to watch the C-130s fly out of Colorado Springs past our house above the fishing ponds in Burland. Sometimes I swear they're almost down to our elevation, but I know that they're basically following the river and they have the appropriate altitude over that.

These pilots need the time to train appropriately so they don't get into the situations FNP had to deal with. Let's all just "enjoy the show" and let the military authorities ensure the training is being done to standard.

Great peace have they who love Thy law, and nothing shall offend them... Ps 118:165

Post Posted: Sep 11, 2017 5:14 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Besides...I watched "Top Gun" like 10 times so I know what's up. The young, bold pilot not only kicked butt on the bad guys but got the girl, too.

Post Posted: Sep 12, 2017 6:20 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
:exactly: LOL

Post Posted: Sep 12, 2017 6:49 am 
But then she went on to do a nude scene with Harrison Ford in "The Witness". What kind of girl does that??

Neighbors Helping Neighbors

:go broncos:

Post Posted: Sep 12, 2017 10:02 am 
I agree with the others on the thread. Viewing any plane flying, commercial or military to me is totally awe inspiring. I too would of loved to have witnessed this particular event. I am glad that in Colorado we have different terrains that our military can practice in.

Post Posted: Sep 12, 2017 8:28 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
aspenleaf wrote:
But then she went on to do a nude scene with Harrison Ford in "The Witness". What kind of girl does that??

Well, actually, I think she got naked for Ford before Cruise. Witness - 1985, Top Gun - 1986.

Post Posted: Sep 15, 2017 8:58 am 
I see. I didn't remember that correctly. She classed up, then. :)

Neighbors Helping Neighbors

:go broncos:

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2