It is currently Oct 21, 2017 6:19 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Please post election topics in the 2017 Election Discussion forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: 285 Event Center Development
Post Posted: Oct 3, 2017 5:23 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
This was posted on our local Neighborhood web site, thought it might be of interest to some of you:

------------------------------------------------------------
Public Hearing on Proposed Event Center at Windy Hill (8884 S US Hwy 285)

The owners of the property at 8884 Hwy 285 are planning on developing a large event center for weddings, corporate events, etc. It appears there is a public hearing on this on October 11th- not sure where (I think the last one was at the fire station). If you want to read about what the owners are proposing, here is a link to the documents they submitted to Jeffco Zoning:
http://jeffco.us/amandaItoI/PublicDocs/ ... Submittal/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hearings will be at 100 Jefferson County Parkway in the Administration and Courts Building
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you plan to study the documents in the link included -- suggest you go to Transportation analysis pdf to Vicinity Map (fig 1 -- page 7 of 20) and print it out, seems to be the best location map of the proposed development.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enjoy....

Post subject: Re: 285 Event Center Development
Post Posted: Oct 3, 2017 6:18 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
According to Trulia, it has a 1500 sq ft home on it and recrntly sold for $900,000. It has 52 acres.

Neighbors Helping Neighbors

:go broncos:

Post Posted: Oct 4, 2017 8:28 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Local Person - Thank you for posting this.

At a first glance, unless I missed it, the traffic analysis contains no consideration for Friday afternoons and Saturdays during the summer months which are the busiest traffic times. If Saturday wedding events, etc are planned, they need a more pragmatic and appropriate traffic analysis. It simply mentions "1 hour peak traffic between 4pm and 6pm" on weekdays.
Also, a max of 250 people, with 50 parking spaces? An average of 5 people per vehicle seems like a very generous estimate.

“No study to date has positively attributed all or part of the climate change to man–made causes”. “None of the studies cited above has shown clear evidence that we can attribute the observed climate changes to increases in greenhouse gases.”

Deleted from the final draft of "The Science of Climate Change 1995" by The United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Post Posted: Oct 4, 2017 8:41 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Ive worked in buildings and grounds at a couple of different venues. The standard has traditionally been 2.75 people per vehicle for large events.

Great peace have they who love Thy law, and nothing shall offend them... Ps 118:165

Post Posted: Oct 5, 2017 9:25 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Taranis wrote:
Local Person - Thank you for posting this.

At a first glance, unless I missed it, the traffic analysis contains no consideration for Friday afternoons and Saturdays during the summer months which are the busiest traffic times. If Saturday wedding events, etc are planned, they need a more pragmatic and appropriate traffic analysis. It simply mentions "1 hour peak traffic between 4pm and 6pm" on weekdays.
Also, a max of 250 people, with 50 parking spaces? An average of 5 people per vehicle seems like a very generous estimate.

Not speaking for or against but the location is well before the Richmond Hill merge which is very problematic for SB 285, I have seen it backed up well before the Safeway overpass. NB 285 has a couple of like merges in Park Co near the Jeff Co boarder. IMO Jeff Co and Park Co should have a moratorium on any building of activity centers, businesses and housing developments, etc PERIOD until the highway can handle such traffic influx. Unfortunately, CDOT does not see it as an issue and the counties like the tax revenue. It's getting to the point that travel at anytime on 285 experiences heavy traffic, including non-eventful weekends.

Post Posted: Oct 5, 2017 1:46 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Jeffco will pass it, they do whatever they want for a buck, these people have only lived there for 2 years and are not aware of the changes we've put up with. The expansion of 285 was done to help with the cross traffic issues, this is just going to add to it. The issues on I70 have people using 285 instead, it's only going to get worse, when I leave work at 3PM on a Friday from Lakewood and it's bumper to bumper all the way to Windy Point, it's ridiculous. Traffic analysis my....

and those that wonder what happened

Post Posted: Oct 5, 2017 2:25 pm 
Windy Point does not seem like a wise idea for winter events (or anytime roads become slick at a moment's notice).

Neighbors Helping Neighbors

:go broncos:

Post Posted: Oct 12, 2017 2:58 pm 
This is from Nextdoor:

Darryl Hedges, Homestead·1h ago

For those of you who live in the Homestead area or reside on any property that is within a mile of the 8884 S. US-285 property, and you did not attend the Zoning Board meeting last night at the Jefferson County Government Center, you now are going to have to deal with the ramifications of having a commercial Event Center plopped right in the middle of a huge high wildfire risk area, complete with noise, lights, and inebriated partiers coming and going to as many as 100 events per year!!!!

It was amazing to be at the meeting and listen to one person after another get up and testify before the Board expressing their concerns and objections to approving this project. I think there were about 8-10 people who objected to the project, and one couple who supported it. 10 to 1. That seems to me like a pretty clear majority were not in favor of this project being approved.

And yet the Board bantered on for a couple of hours, like old men sitting on the porch of the their home, whittling away at every concern and objection that was presented by the people in the area who did care enough to attend and tried to block this project from moving forward. They did everything they could to take a huge square peg and stuff it into a small round hole. Well, I guess you can get that to happen if you whittle away long enough!

I would like to say "Thank You" to those of you who did attend and who did oppose this project. And I especially would like to commend Gail Spencer, one of the Board members, for raising a number of issues that were of concern to her (and to us).

Several times during the evening I heard the chairman of the Board, Tim Rogers, say that they rely on "staff" to be the experts in these matters. NO TIM — YOUR STAFF ARE NOT THE EXPERTS!!! The residents in the area who travel past any proposed building location or live next to one are the EXPERTS!!! They are the ones who understand the traffic hazards and the wildfire threats. They are the ones who are going to have to live with the music and crowd noise until 10:00 pm at night — maybe as often as twice per week (proposed 80 to 100 events per year). They are the ones who are going to have the value of their properties diminished because their homes are within earshot of a commercial business located in the middle of a residential area (which is against every current land-use plan on file for this area, as was noted by several people who attended last night).

I didn't pay a million dollars for my home so I could go out on my deck at night and listen to the sounds of an Event Center wafting over the pine trees, or having to sit at the corner of Mariposa and US-285 and having to dart out across two lanes of traffic like a scared jackrabbit in order to be able to head south into Conifer on an errand, while dodging a stream of cars coming out of the Event Center after an event.

If you want the government to run your life — then stay at home while your freedoms and daily lives are dictated by bureaucrats. If you care about your life and lifestyle — then get off your [censored word] and participate when it counts!

Tim Barnett, Homestead·1h ago

We attended the hearing and agree whole-heartedly with your assessment of the hearing. Just one point- the event center owner did NOT agree to any limitation on the number of events. Restrictions put in place on an ad hoc basis are seldom enforceable. According the the Conifer Corridor Plan, once the area is rezoned, other similar businesses can be added, further increasing concerns about noise, traffic, fire, etc.

Post Posted: Oct 12, 2017 3:00 pm 
Told ya Jeffco would pass it

Post Posted: Oct 12, 2017 4:16 pm 
That is the interesting thing about zoning laws - they seem be only something to make exceptions for. Did they at least force the developers to pay for road improvements so that the increased traffic is dealt with?

Post Posted: Oct 12, 2017 4:24 pm 
Jeff Co passes anything that will make money. I have been in opposition many times over the years and it did little good. So I gave up and moved to the mountain. As my dad used to say, they dirtied their nest in town, now here they come to dirty yours up here. Sad. All in the name of more money. Hang onto the yellow house, Conifer, they will be beaming lights across the rock of that mountain with an ampitheater at the base and zip lines down through the lights. Thanks, Jeff Co. we see that you have no morals when it comes to beautiful landscapes and heavenly quiet of nature.

Post Posted: Oct 12, 2017 5:12 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
It's a no-win situation for the commissioners as they know that no matter WHAT the proposal is, the immediate neighbors are not going to be happy and they are the ones that attend the meetings trying to convince everyone that the world will end with whatever proposal. Too many people want to oppose EVERYTHING and keep everything exactly like they had it when they moved in - which of course is not always ideal for the OTHER people in the area. I think the ideal situation is for the neighbors and developers work together to come up with a plan that minimizes impacts but does not try to completely eliminate all development. Many in the community DO want things like an event enter or zip-line or ... and having a healthy mix of commercial/residential is beneficial for the local residents and job markets.
In this case I hope a good solution can be found that's positive for the community as a whole and not just the "million dollar" home owners.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next