It is currently Oct 20, 2018 11:51 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 4352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329 ... 363  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Interesting Facts
Post Posted: Jan 10, 2018 8:59 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Good safety tip!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Dum spiro spero - Where there is life, there is hope.

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2018 9:53 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Once In A Blue Moon

Mark your calendar! The Blue Moon – second of two full moons in one calendar month – will pass through the Earth’s shadow on January 31, 2018, to give us a total lunar eclipse. Totality - when the moon will be entirely inside the Earth’s dark umbral shadow - will last a bit more than one-and-a-quarter hours. The January 31 full moon is also the third in a series of three straight full moon supermoons – that is, super-close full moons. It’s the first of two Blue Moons in 2018. So it’s not just a lunar eclipse, or a Blue Moon, or a supermoon. It’s all three … a super Blue Moon eclipse!

Super Blue Moon Eclipse

It’s not really “blue”, but as I mentioned above, that’s the term for the second full moon in one calendar month.

Not really blue

IMPORTANT: If you live in North America or the Hawaiian Islands, this lunar eclipse will be visible in your sky before sunrise on January 31.

All three events will occur on one night. Some people including NASA are referring to it as a super blue blood moon, and whatever you call it, it will make for a beautiful, strange night.

First, it's a Supermoon, meaning that it will appear larger and as much as 30 per cent brighter than normal. Supermoons are fairly uncommon, and so this moon would be notable in itself – but that's just the beginning.

Supermoon

Even that Supermoon is strange in itself. It's the third of three that have come in a row, after those in December and on New Year's Day.

Three in a row

And second, the full moon that will rise on 31 January is a blue moon. That doesn't actually mean it will look any different – but rather that it's the second time there's been a full moon in a month. That happens just under every three years.

Blue Moon

Third – and probably most notable of all – the same night will see a lunar eclipse. That stunning event will lead to the moon turning a deep, rich red, a sight that has led to it being christened the "blood moon".

Blood Moon

In Depth

“Never memorize something that you can look up.” ~ Albert Einstein

Post Posted: Jan 12, 2018 9:41 am 
Why Is A Gasoline Bomb Called A Molotov Cocktail And Where Did The Term Originate?

There are a couple of theories of origin for the term Molotov Cocktail, but the Molotov name probably comes from Stalin’s premier and foreign minister, Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Molotov.

It was while he was minister of defense that Russians started the policy of using petrol bombs as an anti-tank weapon so that in any situation, they would have some sort of defense, even if ammunition were low.

However, it must be noted that Molotov’s original surname was Scriabin. Just as Stalin adopted a name for its meaning, Scriabin chose Molotov, the Russian word for hammer, to be his new last name.

So it could be that the gasoline bomb got its name from the tool and not the man.

Image Image

Regardless of how the Molotov cocktail got its name, the double meaning has a certain explosive impact.

In Depth

Post Posted: Jan 13, 2018 9:53 am 
How Did Gotham City Get Its Name And How Did The Nickname For Batman’s Hometown Originate?

“Gotham City” is a nickname for New York and was introduced by Washington Irving in 1807 as the home of fast-talking know-it-alls.

New York City

Gotham City

Irving got the name from a legend about King John, who wanted to build a regal estate near the actual Gotham in England.

King John

He was discouraged when the citizens, not wanting to pay the added taxes, enacted a plan of feigning madness, like real New Yorkers.

The objection caused the king to change his mind in a “Gotham minute.”

Post Posted: Jan 14, 2018 9:45 am 
How Did David Goodman Croly Predict The Future?

There is no proof that such a thing is possible, but there have been people who seemed to be able to foresee the future. One such person was David Goodman Croly, a successful journalist who lived between 1829 and 1889. One of the things he foresaw long before it happened was World War I. He even named the year.

David Goodman Croly

He said that the Russians would become the strongest nation in Europe, and they certainly have.

He predicted that divorce would become legal. It has.

He said that there would be “movies,” that we would learn to fly, and that airplanes would be our most important form of transportation.

Long before it happened, he said that New York City would have a subway system that would move people around from one part of the city to another in a matter of minutes.

Mr. Croly wrote that steam power would be replaced by electricity and other power sources.

This amazing man also made many predictions that have not yet come true. He said that Texas and California would be divided to make more states and that the United States would gradually take into its system Canada, Mexico, and Central America.

The Future?

He also said that people would live beneath huge domes in which the climate would be controlled.

More…

Post Posted: Jan 14, 2018 10:01 am 
Henry wrote:
This amazing man also made many predictions that have not yet come true. He said that Texas and California would be divided to make more states and that the United States would gradually take into its system Canada, Mexico, and Central America.

I hope he was right about California and Texas but not the rest of this prediction. Just my opinion. :)

While he did make some astonishing predictions, I wonder how many of his predictions were wrong.

Post Posted: Jan 14, 2018 12:13 pm 
TillerBee wrote:
Henry wrote:

I hope he was right about California and Texas but not the rest of this prediction. Just my opinion. :)

[...]

Continental-sized countries are probably the trend of the future - like it or not. I don't.

Post Posted: Jan 15, 2018 9:49 am 
Which Pro Football Player Scored The Most Points Ever In A Single Football Season?

Paul Hornung scored the most points ever in a single football season, with 176 points in 1960.

Paul Hornung – Then

Paul Hornung – circa 2013

This was largely because he was not only the Green Bay Packers’ star halfback, but also kicked their field goals and extra points.

Halfback Hornung. Yes, #15 is Bart Starr

Kicker Hornung

Paul Hornung is the oldest player ever to score 5 touchdowns in a single game, and was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame and the Pro Football Hall of Fame, among others.

In Depth

Post Posted: Jan 15, 2018 10:05 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Very interesting. I had never heard of him.

Post Posted: Jan 15, 2018 10:17 am 
aspenleaf wrote:

Nor I. :|

Post Posted: Jan 15, 2018 11:18 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Speaking of football, on this day in 1967, the Green Bay Packers beat the Kansas City Chiefs, 35 - 10, led by MVP quarterback Bart Star, in the first-ever world championship game. Each member of the Packers received a prize of $15,000.

Super Bowl Sunday has become an unofficial American holiday, complete with parties, betting pools and excessive consumption of food and drink. On average, 130-140 million watch at least some part of the game. The commercials shown during the game have become an attraction in themselves, with TV networks charging as much as $2.5 million for a 30-second spot and companies making more expensive, high-concept ads each year.

Post Posted: Jan 15, 2018 11:27 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Henry wrote:
aspenleaf wrote:

Nor I. :|

OK ... huh? Never heard of Paul Hornung? Now, I know you have to be old as dirt to remember the Packers stars of the 60s ... but Henry, I'm pretty sure you're older than I am! Hornung was right up there with Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Ray Nitschke, Boyd Dowler, Willie Davis ...

Reply to topic  [ 4352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329 ... 363  Next