It is currently Aug 19, 2018 5:38 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 4268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335 ... 356  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Interesting Facts
Post Posted: Feb 13, 2018 9:56 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Why Was Nauru Known As Pleasant Island?

Nauru is an island in the Pacific, almost on the Equator. Its total area is about eight square miles, making Nauru the smallest completely independent republic in the world.

Nauru also called itself the “richest republic on earth.” The tiny nation’s wealth came from the guano, or seabird manure, that covers the island. Guano is rich in the phosphates used to make fertilizers.

Each year, Nauru sold some 2 million tons of guano, earning more than $120 million. This wealth of guano gives the 7,000 people who live on Nauru an average income of $17,140 a year, which was the highest in the world. Nauru used its wealth to provide free medical care and schools for its citizens. There were no taxes on Nauru, and there is a job for anyone who wants one.

Nauru has the highest rate of literacy on earth, just about 100 percent. There’s one hospital bed for every 34 persons in Nauru, in the United States, there’s one bed for every 152 persons.

The future of Nauru is less promising. Each year, guano miners dig up about 100 acres of land. In The future, there may be no land left on Nauru to live on!

In Depth

“I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand!!” ~ Charles M. Schulz

Post Posted: Feb 13, 2018 10:44 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Are there still Grizzly Bears in Colorado?

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.

Post Posted: Feb 13, 2018 12:32 pm 
aspenleaf wrote:
Are there still Grizzly Bears in Colorado?

Google says: "People continue to report grizzly bears sightings in the San Juan Mountains and the Bosque del Oso area, but like bigfoot sightings, none can be documented. ... There are reports that Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) are aware of a few grizzly bears in the state, but don't want “Endangered Species Issues” from the Feds."

Post Posted: Feb 14, 2018 10:00 am 

St. Valentine's Day falls on February 14th of each year. Controversially, although the name is Saint Valentine's Day, most people refer to the day as Valentine's Day, or even the Feast of Saint Valentine - some even argue that Saint Valentine was not … well … a saint (see In Depth link below) and not really a patron of love.

Ancient sources reveal that there were several St. Valentines who died on Feb. 14. Two of them were executed during the reign of Roman Emperor Claudius Gothicus in 269-270 A.D., at a time when persecution of Christians was common.

It is widely thought that it was originally a day to celebrate Saint Valentinus, who performed weddings for soldiers who were not allowed to marry. He was imprisoned for this, as well as for ministering to Christians, or so the story goes.

Supposedly, Saint Valentinus wrote a letter to the daughter of his jailer before he was executed. His letter was signed ‘From your Valentine'. He was buried on February 14th. Valentine's Day was not associated with romantic love until the middle ages. By the 1700s in England it began to resemble the Valentine's Day we know today. At this time lovers began to express their love with gifts of flowers, candy and cards, which were called 'valentines'.

So, whatever the real story is, enjoy the day anyway!

In Depth

Post Posted: Feb 15, 2018 9:45 am 
What Was Annie Oakley’s Real Name And What Shooting Tricks Did She Perform?

Not even five feet tall and weighing less than 100 pounds, Annie Oakley (whose birth name was Phoebe Ann Moses) joined Bill Cody’s Wild West Show in 1885 with her sharpshooting act.

Annie Oakley circa 1860

Bill Cody’s Wild West Show

She blasted dimes that were thrown in the air and even shot cigarettes out of her husband’s mouth.

She was just as accurate on horseback, standing up on a galloping horse and shooting out candle flames as she raced past.

Another famous trick of hers was to toss up a playing card and then riddle it with bullet holes before it could reach the ground.

A revered global figure, Oakley retired in 1913 and died in Ohio on November 3, 1926. She was 66.

In Depth

Post Posted: Feb 16, 2018 9:54 am 
The Battle Of Manila Bay

On May 1, 1898, at Manila Bay in the Philippines, the U.S. Asiatic Squadron destroyed the Spanish Pacific fleet in the first major battle of the Spanish-American War (April-August 1898).

On April 30, Admiral George Dewey’s lookouts caught sight of Luzon, the main Philippine island. That night, under cover of darkness and with the lights aboard the U.S. warships extinguished, the squadron slipped by the defensive guns of Corregidor Island and into Manila Bay.

After dawn, the Americans located the Spanish fleet, a group of out-of-date warships anchored off the Cavite naval station. The U.S. fleet, in comparison, was well-armed and well-staffed, largely due to the efforts of the energetic assistant secretary of the Navy, Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), who had also selected Dewey for the command of the Asiatic squadron.

Admiral George Dewey

Spanish fleet anchored off of Cavite

At around 5:40 a.m., Dewey turned to the captain of his flagship, the Olympia, and said, “You may fire when ready, Gridley.” Two hours later, the Spanish fleet was decimated, and Dewey ordered a pause in the fighting. He met with his captains and ordered the crews a second breakfast. The surviving Spanish vessels, trapped in the little harbor at Cavite, refused to surrender, and late that morning fighting resumed. Early that afternoon, a signal was sent from the gunboat USS Petrel to Dewey’s flagship announcing that the enemy has surrendered.

USS Petrel

Dewey’s decisive victory cleared the way for the U.S. occupation of Manila in August and the eventual transfer of the Philippines from Spanish to American control.

US troops enter Manila

In Cuba, Spanish forces likewise crumbled in the face of superior U.S. forces, and on August 12 an armistice was signed between Spain and the United States.

Armistice ends Spanish-American War

In December, the Treaty of Paris officially ended the brief Spanish-American War. The once-proud Spanish empire was virtually dissolved, and the United States gained its first overseas empire. Puerto Rico and Guam were ceded to America, the Philippines were bought for $20 million, and Cuba became a U.S. protectorate. Philippine insurgents who fought against Spanish rule during the war immediately turned their guns against the new occupiers, and a significantly greater number of American troops died suppressing the Philippines than in defeating Spain.

In Depth – Spanish-American War

In Depth – Battle of Manila Bay

Post Posted: Feb 17, 2018 9:51 am 
How Did Bugsy Siegel Join The Mafia And Create Las Vegas When He Wasn’t Italian?

Benjamin “Bugsy” Siegel - who hated his nickname by the way - was a young Jewish punk when “Lucky” Luciano discovered him.

Benjamin “Bugsy” Siegel

Charles “Lucky” Luciano

While Siegel wasn’t from any particular crime family originally, Luciano was an equal-opportunity sort of guy.

Together with Luciano and another Jewish kid named Meyer Lansky, Siegel formed one of the most powerful crime syndicates of all time.

Meyer Lansky

They created Las Vegas as we know it, with Siegel at the lead.

Old Las Vegas Fremont Street

His Flamingo Hotel is still there in all of its dubious splendor. Siegel, however, isn’t, he was rubbed out in 1947 when his associates discovered that he was not being totally honest with the money.

Then

Now

Imagine that, a mobster not being trustworthy. What is this world coming to?

In Depth

Post Posted: Feb 17, 2018 11:12 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
OK, Henry, that last picture is just too, too freaky to look at. My eyes are constantly blinking now.

Post Posted: Feb 17, 2018 12:14 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
:eye crazy:

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.

Post Posted: Feb 17, 2018 12:21 pm 
keg wrote:
OK, Henry, that last picture is just too, too freaky to look at. My eyes are constantly blinking now.

They just don't come any cuter than that! :hugegrin:

Post Posted: Feb 18, 2018 9:44 am 
What Kind Of Ship Is A “Tramp Steamer”, What Were They Used For, And Where Did They Come From?

Today a “tramp steamer” is more accurately described as a “tramp freighter,” since steam engines have long been replaced by diesels.

Tramp Steamer

Tramp Freighter/Ship

In either case, just like human “tramps” who wander the streets, these ships navigate the oceans of the world without a fixed schedule, looking for ports of call that will offer the best price for their cargoes.

Tramp steamer leaving Capetown

Tramp steamers were often the way adventurous people got to exotic places during the first half of the twentieth century.

Exotic ports of call

Accommodations depended on what you were willing to pay and on what the expected ports of call were. Prior to JET air travel in the late 1950s and 1960s, travel by cargo ship was commonplace. For those seeking privacy and wanting to avoid the large ocean liners and cruise ships freighter travel was perfect.

Typical layout (depending on max number of paying passengers)

Typical Smoking Lounge

Container ship cabin w/shower and bathroom

Economy class?

A number of famous writers, American playwright Eugene O’Neill (1888-1953) and British novelist Malcolm Lowry (1909-1957) to name two, shipped aboard tramp freighters when they were young and later wrote books and plays about their experiences.

Post Posted: Feb 19, 2018 9:56 am 

Reply to topic  [ 4268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335 ... 356  Next