It is currently Aug 21, 2018 11:43 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 4271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 352, 353, 354, 355, 356  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Interesting Facts
Post Posted: Aug 2, 2018 12:44 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Henry wrote:

Pretty sharp looking in his coat, tie, and hat. He really got all spruced up for the flight.

"Stand By Me"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPzU75P9FA

Post Posted: Aug 2, 2018 1:10 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
My guess is he expected a lot of media coverage and wanted to look his best.

“I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand!!” ~ Charles M. Schulz

Post Posted: Aug 3, 2018 8:41 am 
How Much Extra Money Did The Federal Reserve Print For The Y2K Scare In 1999 And What Happened To It All?

The United States Federal Reserve printed up an extra $50 billion in small bills in anticipation of money hoarding and distributed it to banks around the country.

$50 Billion

That’s $183.39 for every person in the United States.

Little of it was actually withdrawn by nervous citizens, as most of the population took the 2000 turnover in stride.

As to the extra bills, long term storage posed a problem, so most of it was recycled.

In Depth

Post Posted: Aug 4, 2018 8:35 am 
Do Scarecrows Really Scare Crows?

Many farmers still use scarecrows in their cornfields and gardens to scare away crows, but while this “make-believe man” might keep the large black birds away for a while, crows are really not easily frightened and soon return to the fields and even perch on the arms and head of the scarecrow.

The old custom of using a scarecrow was originally not to scare away crows, but rather as a cross-symbol to protect a cornfield.

Superstitious farmers made scarecrows with two poles fastened together in the form of a cross, since the cross was considered a powerful charm against evil spirits.

Clothes were then hung on the poles as a disguise.

Today, scientists claim that it’s not the scarecrow, but the scent of people clinging to the clothes that keeps the birds away at first. But soon, the rain and the wind carry away these scents, thus carrying away the “scare” out of the scarecrow.

Crows are such intelligent birds that they can be tamed as house pets and even be taught to speak, much the same way as parrots.

Post Posted: Aug 5, 2018 8:52 am 
Titanic’s Sister Ship

In the wake of the Titanic disaster on April 14, 1912, the White Star Line made several modifications in the construction of its already-planned sister ship. First, the name was changed from Gigantic to Britannic (probably because it seemed more humble) and the design of the hull was altered to make it less vulnerable to icebergs (gee, wonder why). In addition, it was mandated that there be enough lifeboats on board to accommodate all passengers, which had not been the case with the Titanic.

The nearly 50,000-ton luxury vessel, the largest in the world, was launched in 1914, but was requisitioned soon afterward by the British government to serve as a hospital ship during World War I. In this capacity, Captain Charlie Bartlett led the Britannic on five successful voyages bringing wounded British troops back to England from various ports around the world.

HMHS Britannic

Designed as the foremost luxury liner, but instead…

… requisitioned by the government for hospital-ship duty

On November 21, 1916, the Britannic was on its way to pick up more wounded soldiers near the Gulf of Athens, when at 8:12 a.m., struck a naval mine. A violent explosion rocked the ship. Captain Bartlett ordered the closure of the watertight doors and sent out a distress signal. However, the blast had already managed to flood six whole compartments—even more extensive damage than that which had sunk the Titanic.

Strikes mine and begins to sink

Lots of flooding

The remains

In Depth

Post Posted: Aug 6, 2018 7:58 am 
This 1920s Bridge Is Still The Highest In The United States

Whether it's parachuting out of planes or BASE jumping off of cliffs, people will go to great lengths to feel the thrill of extreme heights. But what if that thrill is just a leisurely walk? That's what’s in store for visitors to Cañon City, Colorado's Royal Gorge Bridge, the highest bridge in the United States.

Picture this: you're walking across a suspension bridge that towers a dizzying 955 feet (291 meters) above the beautiful Arkansas River. On both sides of the bridge are 1,000-foot-tall walls of red granite — this is Royal Gorge, a 10-mile-long canyon carved by millions of years of erosion. You can feel the bridge sway slightly in the wind, and the closer you get to the midpoint, the more you feel like you're standing on air. It's safe to say this is not recommended if you have a fear of heights. But hey, the best way to get over a fear is to face it.

The bridge was built all the way back in 1929 solely to give visitors a better view of the gorge itself. The 1,258-foot (384-meter) long bridge required the stringing of two cables; each made up of 2,100 wire strands, from two massive towers perched at either end of the gorge. The bridge itself was lined with more than 1,000 planks of Oregon fir.

Each cable was made up of 2,100 wire strands

Oregon fir planks used

Suffice it to say, it was a lofty construction project. It wasn't until 1983 that engineers steadied the bridge's swaying with the installation of wind cables. The two wind cables were installed under the bridge to lessen unwanted swaying, although its lack of a vertical truss still makes it wobble more than your average bridge.

Over the years, the bridge has changed from a simple footpath to a full amusement park. You can now fly across the canyon on the nation's highest zipline or brace yourself for 50-mile-per-hour free falls on the Royal Rush Rollercoaster. For a gentler view of the surroundings, you could also opt for aerial gondola rides, which offer jaw-dropping views from every direction.

Royal Gorge Amusement Park entrance

Zipline

Gondola

For nearly 75 years, the Royal Gorge bridge took the cake for the highest suspension bridge in the world. However, in 2001 China surpassed it with the opening of the Liuguanghe Bridge, which stood at 975 feet (297 meters) high — a record that would be broken by China several more times before the end of the decade. Still, a bridge's height doesn't always match its glory, and with a skyscraper's length between you and the river below, Royal Gorge Bridge remains a spellbinding spot to visit.

Royal Gorge Bridge and the Arkansas River

In Depth

Post Posted: Aug 6, 2018 8:41 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
You will never, EVER get me anywhere near that bridge.

Post Posted: Aug 6, 2018 9:44 am 
keg wrote:
You will never, EVER get me anywhere near that bridge.

Yeah, I'm a little squeamish myself. :shocked:

Post Posted: Aug 7, 2018 8:57 am 
Why Do Horses Sleep Standing Up And Can They Sleep Lying Down?

Horses can doze standing up and spend more time upright than other animals, but get their deepest rest, the so-called REM sleep, only when lying down.

Napping

REMming

In total relaxation, which rapid eye movement or dream sleep involves, the system of tendons and ligaments that keeps horses’ legs extended does not work. If a horse goes into REM sleep while it is standing, it tends to fall on its knees.

Wild horses lie down less, a fact that some researchers attribute to the need to be ready to flee predators.

But others suggest they lie down less because during certain times of the year, notably winter, they eat day and night because less feed is available.

Wild Mustangs feeding in winter

In summer, wild horses lie down a fair amount. When they do lie down, one usually remains standing as a sort of guard.

On guard duty

In Depth

Post Posted: Aug 8, 2018 8:40 am 
Did Any U.S. Presidents Have Adopted Kids?

Yes, several U.S. presidents had adopted kids. Including Martha Washington’s children that George Washington adopted:

George and Martha with Jacky and Patsy in the background

There were two others: Andrew Jackson…

Andrew Jackson (2 adopted children)

Andrew Jackson Jr.

Lyncoya Jackson

… and Ronald Reagan.

Ronald Reagan

Michael Reagan (foreground)

In Depth

Post Posted: Aug 9, 2018 8:34 am 
Why Is Lemon Often Served With Fish And Where Did The Practice Come From Originally?

Although lemon enhances the taste of fish, that isn’t the original reason the two were served together.

Flounder Piccata

Six hundred years ago, lemon was introduced with fish as a safety precaution.

People believed that if someone swallowed a bone, a mouthful of lemon juice would dissolve it.

We now know that this isn’t the case, but we also understand why they believed it. Sucking on a lemon causes the throat muscles to contort, helping to dislodge any stuck bone.

In Depth

Post Posted: Aug 10, 2018 8:28 am 
Where Does Swiss Cheese Come From?

We use the term Swiss cheese for a certain kind of cheese with holes in it. In other countries, and in Switzerland too, this cheese is known as Emmentaler, because it was first made during the fifteenth century in the Emmen Tal, a valley in Switzerland.

Did you know that little of the Swiss cheese we eat in the United States actually comes from Switzerland?

In an average year, some 60 million pounds of Swiss cheese are imported by the United States, but only about 11 percent of that cheese comes from Switzerland. Much of our imported Swiss comes from Finland and Denmark, and many other countries produce it, including the United States.

The holes in Swiss cheese are caused by the mold cultures used to produce the cheese. Gases given off by the molds form small holes in the cheese, which enlarge as the cheese “rises” while curing.

Swiss cheese is usually shipped in gigantic wheels. The average weight of one of these wheels is 160 pounds! Swiss cheese-makers once had to pay a highway tax. The tax was based on how many cheeses they carried, not the total weight of their cheese. So to save money, the Swiss made their cheese in huge wheels.

In Depth

Reply to topic  [ 4271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 352, 353, 354, 355, 356  Next