It is currently Jul 18, 2019 5:30 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Any other organizations here that help with rent up here
Post Posted: Jan 10, 2019 5:48 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
The only issue I'm seeing here cscitney87 is your understanding of some economics principals? What it seems like you're asking for is rent control. That is used in a few large cites like New York and mostly to prevent long-term or older people who have been renting the same apartments for years to have huge rent increases. The supply of those is greatly limited because they are subsidized and even if it was available you'd probably have to be on a 50 year waiting list.

Wages have NOT stagnated. True, they have not doubled since 2009 but they have gone up a LOT more than 0%! If you graduated college 10 years ago and still can't afford $1200/month then maybe a job/career change is in order? your yearly income would only have to be about $40K to "afford" $1200/mo. If you're still only earning minimum wage that is fine but you can't have the expectation to rent your own apartment up here without roommates/financial support. People with college degrees are high in demand now so employment opportunities are certainly a lot BETTER than they were 10 years ago!
We have always had younger and lower income people. The thing is, most usually become older and middle income people with time.
You are correct we all make choices in life and I can guarantee you that your assumption about the number of landlords that are "profit driven and motivated by a me-first attitude" is incorrect. They are just trying to make a living too. If you can't afford rent then you might have to choose to move to a lower rent area. Of course there are reasons the rent is lower and that is a trade-off.

In the mean-time back to the OP's request on finding temporary help with rental assistance...

Post Posted: Jan 10, 2019 6:28 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
So says the baby boomer echo chamber that is Pinecam. About 12 people responsible for over 50% of the replies on this forum. No wonder...

Post Posted: Jan 10, 2019 6:51 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
cscitney87 wrote:
So says the baby boomer echo chamber that is Pinecam. About 12 people responsible for over 50% of the replies on this forum. No wonder...

Wow. "Everything is about me. I don't have the ambition to make myself worth paying more, so the world owes me higher wages and low rent. If I don't get that it's because the" rich" are controlling everything. "

GROW UP! And let the thread be used for what it was intended to be. How ridiculous..... You should be embarrassed.

Post Posted: Jan 10, 2019 7:03 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Please... I am not the one on Pinecam asking for a handout.

Post Posted: Jan 10, 2019 7:15 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Sigh...

Post Posted: Jan 10, 2019 7:22 pm 
cscitney87 wrote:
Please... I am not the one on Pinecam asking for a handout.

That person asked a simple question. You went on a ludicrous, self-centered, rant of entitlement, spouted in utter ignorance of what drives wages and rent prices.

None of that nonsense is what the thread was started for. GROW UP!

Post Posted: Jan 10, 2019 7:56 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
lilCfamily wrote:
We are having trouble getting our rent paid, we tried the MRC but they don't have any funds available. Does anyone else know if any organizations up here help with rent?

In an effort to help the OP, here is the original request. Does anybody have any useful information for him/her?

Post Posted: Jan 10, 2019 8:41 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
you might try the county to see if they can give you some direction.

Post Posted: Jan 10, 2019 10:23 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
lilCfamily wrote:
We are having trouble getting our rent paid, we tried the MRC but they don't have any funds available. Does anyone else know if any organizations up here help with rent?

Hi lilCfamily,
I did a google search for "private rental assistance colorado" and found this. I hope you can get the help you need.

-cj

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2019 8:20 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
lilCfamily-

I hope you can get some assistance from the housing authority. Energy assistance can help defer costs. As well as the MRC and LifeBridge food banks.

Also consider talking to your landlord. If you have been a good tenant it's in their best interest to keep you there.

I always allow a temporary reduction in rent if my tenant is willing to do work around the property. I always need help with something: raking up pine cones/needles, painting/staining, caulking, fence repairs, poop patrol, removing dead trees/branches, etc. They may have several properties that need some work.

Good luck and I hope your financial situation improves soon.

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2019 11:45 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
CooknThyme wrote:
lilCfamily-

I hope you can get some assistance from the housing authority. Energy assistance can help defer costs. As well as the MRC and LifeBridge food banks.

Also consider talking to your landlord. If you have been a good tenant it's in their best interest to keep you there.

I always allow a temporary reduction in rent if my tenant is willing to do work around the property. I always need help with something: raking up pine cones/needles, painting/staining, caulking, fence repairs, poop patrol, removing dead trees/branches, etc. They may have several properties that need some work.

Good luck and I hope your financial situation improves soon.

MRC should have access to Conifer Salvation Army funds and Energy Outreach Colorado (heating assistance). I'm surprised they told you they didn't have funds available, given the annual Salvation Army collection over the holidays. There's also an Evergreen Salvation Army, but you have to go through an agency (Seniors' Resource Center or Evergreen Christian Outreach) to get to them. Energy assistance can help offset your rent, but I don't know if utilities are included in your rent. Did MRC refer you to LEAP (utility assistance)? Wish I could offer more options. Best of luck to you.

Post Posted: Jan 12, 2019 2:36 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Have you had any luck?

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next