It is currently Jul 15, 2019 10:53 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Government Shutdown Question
Post Posted: Jan 10, 2019 4:26 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I am not a govt employee but like everyone else I hear about the struggles those folks are going through. I know they are working and not getting paid (believe there is a word for that) yet I wondered if their Health Insurance Premiums are still getting paid or do those folks face a lapse in insurance?

Post subject: Re: Government Shutdown Question
Post Posted: Jan 10, 2019 6:33 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
This is a partial shutdown of non essential federal employees. Furloughs come with the territory. I would wager that premiums are paid. With trillion dollar deficit spending and $21 trillion in debt, wouldn't you be happy to know the federal government stopped spending money? Can't have it both ways...

Post Posted: Jan 10, 2019 10:34 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
JetsStream wrote:
I am not a govt employee but like everyone else I hear about the struggles those folks are going through. I know they are working and not getting paid (believe there is a word for that) yet I wondered if their Health Insurance Premiums are still getting paid or do those folks face a lapse in insurance?

There has been good coverage about the affects of the shutdown on PBS Newshour. While it is true that this is a partial government shutdown (Congress, for instance, has already funded itself for the rest of the year), no money is going out for the affected agencies, among them the departments of Agriculture, Homeland Security, State, Transportation, Interior and Justice. This means no premiums are being paid, no housing stipends, no salaries, nothing. A topic they touched on today that I'd not thought about is that for all contractors who are furloughed, this will be 100% monies lost. Employees will likely get back pay which will help - but contractors only get paid when they work and they're not working - and they won't be able to recover any lost wages.

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2019 9:08 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
pbj, include in your list Dept of Commerce, which means, NOAA, which means National Weather Service, which means the very people putting out winter weather advisories and warnings today are working as essential employees without pay. Poked around federal sites on Google, and it does appear that affected federal employees remain covered by their health insurance. Some banks are offering interest-free loans (I think Alpine Bank in CO is offering loan amounts equivalent to 2 paychecks - just bring in your pay stub - with 6 months to pay back). My brother in WY is looking into such a loan as a NWS meteorologist.

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2019 2:43 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Replies which were deemed to be off topic and more politically sensitive have been split to a new thread in The Study. If you want to discuss politics and other sensitive subjects post those in The Study. That forum description is very specific:

Quote:
Discuss politics, religion and other sensitive subjects. All viewpoints are welcome here. The Pinecam TOS is in effect in this forum; however, these discussions are not for the faint of heart. All opinions expressed in this forum are solely those of the author and do not represent the views and/or opinions of Pinecam.com.

Additional Study Forum Terms of Service apply to posts in that forum.

Continued replies in this thread should remain on topic for the original OP question.

Post Posted: Jan 11, 2019 4:12 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
CO businesses helping affected federal employees during shutdown
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/money/ ... t-shutdown

Post Posted: Jan 12, 2019 9:55 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
If Government EE's are already "struggling" after only missing 1 paycheck maybe they should re think their lifestyle and savings accounts...don't live paycheck to paycheck

Post Posted: Jan 14, 2019 7:34 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Additional replies that were political were merged into The Study version of this thread. Disregard for the prior moderator note will result in this thread being locked for one day. If you want to discuss the political version of this thread then visit Government Shutdown Question-The Study Version

Pinecam added a link to local food banks on the home page to help those in need during this period. That post was:

Quote:
Pinecam Tech Team wrote:
Added links to local food banks to the desktop and mobile homepages.

On the desktop homepage, look in the center of the right column. On the mobile homepage, look either in the lower part of the right column or at the bottom of all the links.

Thank you to members who suggested the links.

The link on Pinecam is: Pinecam Enhancements

Post Posted: Jan 25, 2019 2:29 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
In response to your question. I am recently retired from Fed Gov service. I was furloughed 3 times during my tenure. From my experience, I can safely say that Fed Gov employees will continue to receive coverage for medical/vision/dental. Since employees are not receiving paychecks, the premiums they pay through payroll deductions will not be paid to the insurance providers at this time. Once employees begin to receive their payroll, the past premiums owed will be deducted from their first post-shutdown paycheck. During government shutdowns, usually there is an agreement between insurance companies/fed gov/unions that medical/vision/dental coverage will not be denied. That's the "nutshell" explanation.

Post Posted: Jan 25, 2019 6:37 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
In the three times you were furloughed, did you eventually receive pay for the time you were off?

Post Posted: Jan 27, 2019 8:39 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Yes, all three times. (Retired NPS, 25 yrs.)

Post Posted: Jan 27, 2019 9:01 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I, too, spent time as a civilian fed employee. All employees, whether they were called in to work without pay or furloughed at home, will receive their normal pay for the past 35 days in a lump sum check this week. All insurance policies were in force despite no premiums paid during this period and the regular premiums will be deducted from this back pay, so in the end nothing is lost other than the stress of not having regular income for those five weeks.

Great peace have they who love Thy law, and nothing shall offend them... Ps 118:165

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next