It is currently Feb 21, 2019 9:06 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Combat Rules and Traffic Circles
Post Posted: Feb 11, 2019 8:58 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I have to disagree with Keg's normal extreme internet behavior claiming American drivers are too stupid as being a fact.

Post Posted: Feb 11, 2019 9:38 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Afghanistan aside, I've driven through countless roundabouts during rush hour in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Limerick, and Dublin among other cities. (They're actually pretty useless on country roads and you don't see them very often.) It can be very intimidating to the uninitiated - not to mention the fact you're driving on the left!. Once used to the them, you basically have to suspend all fear and just shove your way into the circle as quickly as possible. It's counter to everything Americans have learned in regards to driving courtesy. Do backups occur? Of course! But you just keep moving. Slowly, but moving. At least when not impeded by some terrified driver from the states! In some of the bigger and busier circles there are warning signs and lights as you approach. Gets your attention FAST! Kinda like a warning you have 15 seconds to grip it and rip it. Its been awhile, but I think I even encountered the occasional flashing stop lights prior to the approach. Metered roundabouts! No kidding.

Post Posted: Feb 11, 2019 9:57 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Freezeman, I'll just say this … if you want to claim drivers of ALL nationalities are stupid … I won't disagree. My experiences are primarily American, with one week of driving in Scotland thrown in (that one week was heaven, and I did not encounter a single roundabout that was in any way problematic, because everybody knew what they were doing). I guess what I'm saying, in line with what Lionshead is saying: once behind the wheel of a car, most people's brains lock up, logic goes out the window, and baser motivations take over.

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5