It is currently Feb 17, 2020 6:55 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: How to recycle plastic water bottles...
Post Posted: Dec 6, 2019 8:46 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Hi! I want to start recycling all the disposable plastic water bottles we use. I know I need to take the caps off. But what about the plastic ring that is part of the cap but stays on the bottle when you first twist the cap off? It's the same material as the cap, so I'm wondering if it needs to be removed too? Which would be kind of difficult....
Thanks for any experience you have!

Post subject: Re: How to recycle plastic water bottles...
Post Posted: Dec 6, 2019 9:03 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Cheap wirecutters - attach to your recycling bin, snip off the ring in half a second.

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2019 9:19 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
According to earth911.com, the caps depend on your particular recycling company:

"For plastic bottles, you need to ask your local recycling program whether caps are accepted before trying to recycle them with the bottle. Some will ask you to leave them on, some accept caps but want them separated, and some will ask you to throw them away."

The little rings don't matter.

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2019 10:28 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Just a suggestion that might work for those who buy cases of bottled water. I've been using Brita and PUR water pitchers for years. They are easy to use, work great, and create little waste.
-No lugging cases of water from the store to car to home
-No time spent with recycling issues or filling the trash can with the used bottles
-Pitchers are kept in the fridge so water is always cold.

I started using them years ago after my experience as a scuba diver with ocean pollution. I've been involved in shoreline and bay clean up projects, and was always amazed at how many disposable water bottles are collected.

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2019 1:47 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Yes PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE recycle your plastic water bottles. Especially if you use a lot of them.

Don't worry about the rings.

I recycle everything that I can. More stuff (volume wise) goes into my recycle bin then into my trash bin.

If you use Mt View for your trash, the recycling is no added charge. And all the recyclables go into 1 bin, you don't need to sort. But you do need to pay attention to what they do and do not accept.

If you take your bottles to a drop off center, the signs will direct you as to what to do with the caps. Each recycle place is different.

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2019 2:45 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Not sure what your making, but some projects they cut off the neck. I was going to make a water bottle greenhouse. The cut off the necks and drill a hole snd sleeve them together, but with the winds here, I'm now thinking no. Pinterest is an excellent resource for water bottle recycling too.

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2019 4:31 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
better idea. STOP drinking from individual plastic water bottles. buy bottles made from glass or metal and fill them up and reuse them. I drink water all day long and never use plastic water bottles. It is easy to do.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2019 6:23 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Especially with most of us on private wells, no additives, pretty clean water right from the tap. I just fill my aluminum water bottle a couple times a day instead of buying something that’s basically free.

Great peace have they who love Thy law, and nothing shall offend them... Ps 118:165

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2019 7:11 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Same here, we have a two gallon water jug with a spout in the fridge. For my project, I asked for peoples water bottles on wanted/free but no luck, so maybe most people aren't using them. We used those Brita filters where we lived before because the water was awful, worked really good, filters easy to change. But there are some fun projects to use the water bottles for and keep them out of landfills.

Post Posted: Dec 6, 2019 7:11 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Same here, we have a two gallon water jug with a spout in the fridge. For my project, I asked for peoples water bottles on wanted/free but no luck, so maybe most people aren't using them. We used those Brita filters where we lived before because the water was awful, worked really good, filters easy to change. But there are some fun projects to use the water bottles for and keep them out of landfills.

Post Posted: Dec 7, 2019 7:47 am 
Reiterating what Wily Fox said -- avoid drinking from plastic water bottles all together. The sad part about recycling is that the industry itself hasn't caught up to the demand. Much of the recycled waste actually ends up in the landfill at this time, due to separation and cleaning issues prior to the actual recycling process. There is upcoming technology, but it's not there yet. So we should all reuse as much as possible. The easiest things to truly recycle are cardboard and aluminum cans. BTW, Mtn View charges $10 per month add on for their recycle service; it's not free.

Post Posted: Dec 7, 2019 9:11 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
My recycling is free, the bill says "no charge". But maybe they have changed policies now for newer customers.

It is virtually impossible to avoid all plastic bottles. Many times you do not have any other choice.

At least 2-3 times a month when out running errands I drink through both reusable bottles of water I brought with me and need more water. Or worse I left my water on the kitchen counter :rant:

I NEVER drink straight tap water whether from a well or city water :barf: (I always filter my well water before drinking).
So sometimes there is no other option than bottled water.

I've been recycling and/or re-purposing everything I can for ~50 years now. It is so easy to do. Like anything, once you are in the habit it becomes second nature.
Back in the 70s I was quite active in helping to set up several recycling centers. I was thrilled once curbside recycling became the norm.

When I moved up here in 2006, I was dumbfounded that the trash companies did not include curbside recycling. I used MotherEarthRecycling in Bailey for several years (until they went out of business) they were great. I think Mt View started curbside recycling in ~2011.

I also think about recycling when I am purchasing things and will choose brands that have packaging I can recycle and/or is made from recycled materials. My patio furniture (and rug) are made from recycled plastic and they are so lovely and durable!

Also please avoid plastic bags at the grocery store. Bring your own bags/boxes and re-purpose plastic net bags for your produce.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next