:rose: Where We Remember Those We Have Lost :rose:

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Beware of Safeway price fraud
Post Posted: Jul 3, 2013 7:02 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
darkhorse wrote:
....but having both a Safeway and a King Soopers in close proximity to me, I can tell you that KS is definitely less expensive.

Well that depends what you buy. If you like food that comes in cans, boxes and other packages, then yeah you probably can save some $ over Safeway.

KS produce is sometimes cheaper and sometimes not. But KS certainly have better quality/selection of produce over Safeway. But if you eat meat then the Safeway specials are almost always a better deal over KS specials. Safeway's Open Nature meat and chicken are really good deals if you want hormone-free, nitrate-free, etc.

But if you do the Safeway online coupons and "Just 4 U" pricing then you will definitely save more $ over KS.

Post Posted: Jul 3, 2013 7:06 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I prefer shopping at safeway but the could do much better. I blame the store manager. Monday I arrived at 6:30 am and all the doors were locked except one. The open at 5am. I mentioned inside and they all seemed confused. Poor management.
hendrik

Post Posted: Jul 3, 2013 7:14 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Was this sale in this week ads? I am not finding it! I see the buy one get one free.

Post Posted: Jul 3, 2013 7:32 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I saw it in the online ad. The two rib sizes are shown. The smaller ribs were 6.99. So she is right.

Post Posted: Jul 3, 2013 8:08 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
CrazyWolf wrote:

But if you do the Safeway online coupons and "Just 4 U" pricing then you will definitely save more $ over KS.

Definitely NOT true. Sometimes the Just 4 U pricing is better but often it just gets the price down to what KS charges. Often, items are on sale at both stores. The best way to save money is to shop both stores sales and buy most of the rest at Kings.
As a side note, I wish both stores would get RID OF the online coupons and just put the *^&%*!! sales on the card automatically! :argue:

Post Posted: Jul 3, 2013 10:54 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
sunsetinthepines wrote:
CrazyWolf wrote:

Definitely NOT true. Sometimes the Just 4 U pricing is better but often it just gets the price down to what KS charges. Often, items are on sale at both stores. The best way to save money is to shop both stores sales and buy most of the rest at Kings.
As a side note, I wish both stores would get RID OF the online coupons and just put the *^&%*!! sales on the card automatically! :argue:

When we first moved up to the Bailey area, Safeway was the only place to buy food. We had no choice. Moving up from Denver, I thought their prices were really high, but like I said, we had no choice. We were loyal customers to Safeway when we lived in Denver.

But when Kings opened, we started going there. They had better selection, at better prices, and the clerks were way more friendly.

But, now we buy most of our stuff at Costco. We don't buy enough things at KS to even get more than 3 cents on our fuel at Loaf and Jug. I have not been in the Safeway store in over 2 years.

The weekly ads from Safeway, Kings Soopers, ALCO, along with the Mountain Connection, and the Hustler, go right to the recycle bin without being read.

Oh, and when you're a member of Costco, the "*^&%*!!" sales are put on your card automatically.

Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand of it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.

Chief Seattle, 1852

Post Posted: Jul 4, 2013 5:46 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
DaffyDick wrote:

...now we buy most of our stuff at Costco.

Back in the early 90's, my mom used to go to Sam's Club (later Costco) about once a month, loaded-up the suburban, and WOW did my brother and I ever hate it when she went grocery shopping (we looked like pack mules bringing it all in). However, it was only once a month and so much cheaper for her than the old Safeway or driving to Littleton. We would go to the old Safeway if my brother was craving deli chicken strips or cheap Chinese food. That's about it.

"Conifer: The Movie" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwGneGjOSG0&feature=plcp

Post Posted: Jul 4, 2013 6:08 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Your recent experience has been an issue for quite some time Brat - CS has been complaining about that very phenomena for about 17 years now. It seems we never set foot in that store without one issue or another. For Father's Day this year, she looked at the weekly circular and planned an entire meal around the sales items only to find out that the advertised prices on the meat only applied to the "Extra Value Packs" that you would end up spending $30 or more on even at the sales price. Seems like Safeway forgot to mention that small detail when they advertised the price in large, bold print.

The other thing I am noticing more and more is that the smaller packages actually cost less per unit of measure than the larger packages do. At King's, for instance, the Kroger brand chips contain 6 oz for $1.00 and the 10.5 oz packages cost $2.08. I've noticed the same phenomena in other areas as well and it has nothing to do with an item being on sale at the time. It used to be you saved money when purchasing the larger packages due to the reduced amount of packaging, but it would seem that has changed in the last few years.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” C.S. Lewis (1898-1963)

Vox Populi, Vox Dei
Alcuin
732 AD - 804 AD

Post Posted: Jul 4, 2013 6:39 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
And on the flip side... just a week ago at Safeway I picked up some Lox on sale (a rarity in our house) and grabbed the wrong product. In the self checkout line the point was made clear that it was the wrong product but guy overseeing the area matched the sales price anyway. I certainly thought the gesture was above what I expected and it will keep me coming back to Safeway... even though they are a bit expensive compared to other stores.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Post Posted: Jul 4, 2013 8:08 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Baileybrat wrote:
Today is the second time in a row I've caught Safeway advertising a sales price, but ringing up full price at the register. Both times I've caught the mistake and pointed it out. Both times management went to great lengths to tell me I was wrong. Both times I persisted and I was proved right.

Today it was the pre-packaged barbecue ribs... the sign CLEARLY marked it on sale from $11.99 down to $8.99. When I caught the error at check-out, a manager was called. She disputed my claim. She walked over to the display while I waited at the register. Then I was shooed away from the register to allow the people behind me to check out. So I waited by customer service. (meanwhile my lunch leftovers were in the hot car waiting... waiting... going bad.)

The manager walked back from the display and told me the sales price was for a different size of ribs package. I walked back with her myself, and she pointed to a sales price for a smaller package of ribs. Then I pointed to the shelf below, and the sales price for the larger package of ribs I had bought. I was right, but she didn't want to admit that. She examined the sales sticker at length still trying to prove me wrong.

Eventually she snatched the sales price sticker away from the display, and muttered she didn't know why the sales price didn't ring up. She ordered another checker to refund the difference, but never apologized for the store's (and her own) mistake. She didn't put the sales price back on the display- but the sales price is the valid price according to the Store circular... so by removing the sign the store is STILL charging fraudulently, but hoping nobody will notice.

It used to be if the store charged more than the advertised product they had to give you the product for free. Maybe they're still supposed to; I don't know, but it sure didn't happen today. The eventual $3.02 refund was a hassle in terms of time and squabbling. It was annoying that the manager treated me like I'm either stupid or running a scam of some sort, and she never apologized for the store error, her error, and for her telling me I was wrong when I wasn't.

The takeaway from this rant: If you shop at Safeway, watch out for fraud. It's happened to me more than once, and its safe to assume it's happening to others too. Life is expensive enough without them ripping you off.

Oh boy ! Fraud is a strong word ? Maybe down the hill is better for some ? I love our local business and would gladly pay extra to support them ! But Im sure a good rant to our neighbors will make it all better ? Happy people talk about happy things :)

So Happy 4th of July Im grateful for my independence ! Thanks to all that made and continue to make that possible because of your service I have the privilege to shop where ever I choose...Freedom is a wonderful thing !

Post Posted: Jul 4, 2013 8:11 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
thank you for your service, WoodChucker.

Post Posted: Jul 4, 2013 8:14 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
JMiller wrote:
thank you for your service, WoodChucker.
Thanks Jo...You and Jeff have a happy and safe holiday :)

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next