It is currently Oct 22, 2017 3:52 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Please post election topics in the 2017 Election Discussion forum

Reply to topic  [ 3714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267 ... 310  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Interesting Facts
Post Posted: Dec 27, 2016 9:23 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
There Are About 2,000 Gallons Of Water In Your Jeans, Sort Of

Taking shorter showers or turning the water off when you brush your teeth are good starts when it comes to water conservation, but you'd be surprised at just how much water is used in the production of everyday items you've never given a second thought.

It's easy to assume that your daily water use is limited to your morning shower, cooking and cleaning, and the eight (or so) glasses you drink to keep hydrated. In reality, a person's water footprint is much more significant—nearly everything you eat or wear, for example, uses water in the manufacturing process.

Take a pair of jeans. According to author Stephen Leahy's "Your Water Footprint: The Shocking Facts About How Much Water We Use to Make Everyday Products," it takes 2,113 gallons (8,000 liters) of water to make your favorite pair of jeans. That includes growing the cotton and manufacturing the garment, but it doesn't include the water that you'll use to wash your jeans over time. Leahy says that the average American's daily water footprint is a whopping 2,115 gallons (8,000 liters). "Since 1 liter weighs 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds), that's the weight of four cars you have to haul if you get all that water from a well," he writes.

This water-footprint issue is no small thing. According to the Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development, 47 percent of the world's population will face severe water shortages by 2030.

A number of companies, especially those in the food and beverage business, are taking note of their own water footprints—the H2O necessary to manufacture their products—and striving to become what they call "water neutral." Coca-Cola, for example, uses 2.03 liters of water to make 1 liter of product.

In 2007, the company made a public pledge to offset each gallon of water it uses in production by recycling or conserving a gallon somewhere else by the year 2020. By the end of 2015, the company reached its goal, replenishing nearly 153.6 billion liters of water in a total of 61 countries through projects including protecting watersheds and improving safe access to water and sanitation.

But even individual people can do their parts to reduce their water footprint. "It's all about smart substitutions and changes, rather than sacrifice and self-denial, but we can't make the right choices unless we begin to see and understand the invisible ways in which we rely on water," Leahy wrote in The Guardian. "If a family of four served chicken instead of beef they'd reduce their water use by an astonishing 900,000 litres a year. That's enough to fill an Olympic size pool to a depth of two feet. If this same family of opted for Meatless Mondays, they'd save another 400,000 litres. Now they could fill that pool halfway."

Other easy options? Low-flow showerheads and toilets.

In Depth

"History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce." ~ Karl Marx - Philosopher

Post Posted: Dec 27, 2016 9:30 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
mtnhsmama wrote:
o boy... if this is what my first thought of what you're saying is, that's a scary thought. time to broaden my use of the internet to shake things up! i do NOT like to b predictable!! reminds me of a scifi story i read once... where 'pets' (programmable animals, could be like the japanese animated stuffed animals recently surfaced) were programmed to guide the futuristic children thru their youth, targeting their fears, issues, and charting their upcoming adult lives. very scary indeed!

It seems to herald the end of individuality and the advent of groupthink. The more they refine the Internet's search criterion, the more you are only exposed to your own way of thinking and deprived of contrasting ideas.

Scary indeed.

"History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce." ~ Karl Marx - Philosopher

Post Posted: Dec 27, 2016 10:01 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Henry wrote:
Take a pair of jeans. According to author Stephen Leahy's "Your Water Footprint: The Shocking Facts About How Much Water We Use to Make Everyday Products," it takes 2,113 gallons (8,000 liters) of water to make your favorite pair of jeans. That includes growing the cotton and manufacturing the garment, but it doesn't include the water that you'll use to wash your jeans over time. Leahy says that the average American's daily water footprint is a whopping 2,115 gallons (8,000 liters). "Since 1 liter weighs 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds), that's the weight of four cars you have to haul if you get all that water from a well," he writes.

Save the earth - go naked.

"Stand By Me"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPzU75P9FA

Post Posted: Dec 27, 2016 10:07 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Bobcat wrote:
Henry wrote:

:lol:

I pretty-much wear jeans all the time. Now I find myself listening for sloshing sounds when I walk around.

Post Posted: Dec 27, 2016 2:09 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Henry wrote:
Bobcat wrote:
Henry wrote:

:lol:

I pretty-much wear jeans all the time. Now I find myself listening for sloshing sounds when I walk around.

Lets see - naked, sloshy jeans ... naked, sloshy jeans ... naked, sloshy jeans. I'm going with naked. :hugegrin:

"Stand By Me"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPzU75P9FA

Post Posted: Dec 27, 2016 3:28 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I've said for years now that the next MAJOR war (not necessary the next one (don't go political on this), will be THE war and it will be over fresh water. May or may not be in our (most of us') lifetimes...but, just saying. Friends from India agree with me because they lived it when living there and I saw it there. It's scary to think about it when that happens.

Post Posted: Dec 27, 2016 4:08 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
DogRunner wrote:
I've said for years now that the next MAJOR war (not necessary the next one (don't go political on this), will be THE war and it will be over fresh water. May or may not be in our (most of us') lifetimes...but, just saying. Friends from India agree with me because they lived it when living there and I saw it there. It's scary to think about it when that happens.

Quite possible, DR. Water, arable land, crops, oil, deforestation ... take your pick. It boils down to man's insatiable plundering of Earth's few resources.

Post Posted: Dec 27, 2016 5:58 pm 
Henry wrote:
DogRunner wrote:

Quite possible, DR. Water, arable land, crops, oil, deforestation ... take your pick. It boils down to man's insatiable plundering of Earth's few resources.

Yep...and all those you mentioned are connected...I hope this world actually starts to wake up and understand that before it's too late...because tomorrow always happens.........until it doesn't.

Post Posted: Dec 28, 2016 9:37 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Heinrich Heine's Quote About Book Burning Eerily Predicted The Holocaust

In 1823, Heinrich Heine wrote the words, "Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen," or "Where books are burned, in the end, people will also be burned."

Heinrich Heine

More than a century later in 1933, young Nazi students in Germany organized a nationwide book burning to eliminate foreign influence. As this quote eerily predicted, the mass murder of Jews in the Holocaust soon followed.

Burning a book doesn't seem like a big deal. We've got tons of 'em, and we've got the internet now too. Well, the implications of book burning go far beyond the physical act of setting a manuscript aflame. Burning a book is perhaps the oldest form of censorship, and it can signal more extreme actions to come.

As a reminder of something you know, the atrocities of the Holocaust didn't begin when people were sent to Auschwitz. The censorship of outside influence in Adolf Hitler's Nazi Germany was a harbinger of things to come.

As Hitler's regime took hold in Germany, state-sponsored committees popped up to censor German culture and administer propaganda campaigns in the country.

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum places the beginning of the Holocaust at 1933, the year of the nationwide book-burning program organized by Nazi youth. The book burning represented the elimination of ideas from groups outside of what Hitler considered the "superior race." And where extreme censorship of ideas and influence occurs, so does extreme discrimination and oppression.

Heinrich Heine was a controversial poet during his time (1797–1856) because of his radical ideas, especially in his home country of Germany. This specific quote is chilling knowing that anti-Semitism was growing in the country at the time, and Heine himself was Jewish.

More importantly, seeing this quote is more than just a history lesson. Though book burning has a long history, it's not over. For just one recent example, the terrorist group ISIS made news in 2015 after a massive book, cigarette and alcoholic liquor burning. And while this may seem like an action that ranks pretty low of the scale of things to worry about, as we've seen, it can very well be the beginning of something serious.

In Depth

Post Posted: Dec 28, 2016 11:27 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
It's the sound of millions of minds being closed. The population of Nazi Germany was 90 million. How do you close that many minds, and generate that much hatred.

Neighbors Helping Neighbors

:go broncos:

Post Posted: Dec 28, 2016 11:51 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
A valid question that could equally well be asked today, unfortunately.

Post Posted: Dec 28, 2016 12:21 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
It's bad enough to be reminded of it ... must we now get to repeat it? :(

Reply to topic  [ 3714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267 ... 310  Next