It is currently Mar 26, 2017 1:10 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 3375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270 ... 282  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Interesting Facts
Post Posted: Jan 5, 2017 9:38 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
The Scientifically Proven Method To Get Your Bartender's Attention

Friday night! Time to hit the bars. And wait for the bartender to notice you so you can order. And wait. And wait. What gives? Never fear, night owls: as it turns out, there's a scientifically proven method to getting served quickly at the bar.

You're not the only one who has trouble getting a busy bartender's attention.

It's so common that psychologists have investigated the phenomenon. In a 2013 study, German researchers recorded real-life interactions between bar patrons and their bartenders. After watching the various signals that patrons used to grab bartenders' attention, they identified the most effective ones: "The results revealed that bar staff responded to a set of two non-verbal signals: first, customers position themselves directly at the bar counter and, secondly, they look at a member of staff." The researchers then replicated these results by using a robotic bartender. The robot clearly detected these social signals in a noisy, crowded room and promptly took their drink orders. No word on how it fared at listening to relationship woes, but we assume good things.

Both the positioning and eye contact were necessary for getting a drink, and the two signals worked sufficiently when used together. Other methods, such as gestures and speech, were unnecessary and often unsuccessful.

Waving isn’t necessary unless…

… the bartender has a sense of humor

What does this mean? Stop yelling at your bartender or waving money in his or her face. Instead, simply walk up to the bar, make eye contact, and order that extra dirty gin martini.

And don't forget to tip!

Oh, and mind your manners.

“I am truly not one to give advice. I’m divorced and I stole my best friend’s husband.” ~ Denise Richards

Post Posted: Jan 5, 2017 10:38 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
keg wrote:
mtnhsmama wrote:
well i dunno if it's really that far off.

Considering the pitifully small amount of knowledge we still have about brain chemistry, I feel pretty confident in saying that human teleportation is a long, long, very long way off.

You may be right, keg, but who knows? The rate at which barriers are being broken today seems to indicate that teleportation's invention is just a matter of time away. Of course, the ethical/moral issues involved may delay that, but the technical ability will still be there.

I would agree with you in terms of the sheer computing power it would take to catalogue the human body cell-by-cell, atom-by-atom, chemical-by-chemical - yet alone transmitting that information and re-assembling it at a distant end.

Seems awfully daunting to me, but again, who knows? :scatter:

“I am truly not one to give advice. I’m divorced and I stole my best friend’s husband.” ~ Denise Richards

Post Posted: Jan 5, 2017 11:41 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
great article bobcat - thx!

Post Posted: Jan 5, 2017 8:21 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
u kno - if i could b teleported, i think i'd like to see what the heck goes on in black holes, or i should say beyond the boundary. is everything intact in the order of the original speciman like a reverse time-machine, or is it a huge conglomeration of all things from all places? this article is what made me think of this post: http://kdvr.com/2017/01/05/mysterious-r ... ears-away/

i've never been totally confident of what i'm reading, not that i've researched it thoroughly. don't quite understand the concept, u could say.

and henry - ur emoticon is perfect for the topic at hand!! :scatter: :rof laughing:

Post Posted: Jan 6, 2017 9:43 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
mtnhsmama wrote:
u kno - if i could b teleported, i think i'd like to see what the heck goes on in black holes, or i should say beyond the boundary. is everything intact in the order of the original speciman like a reverse time-machine, or is it a huge conglomeration of all things from all places? this article is what made me think of this post: http://kdvr.com/2017/01/05/mysterious-r ... ears-away/

i've never been totally confident of what i'm reading, not that i've researched it thoroughly. don't quite understand the concept, u could say.

and henry - ur emoticon is perfect for the topic at hand!! :scatter: :rof laughing:

Thanks, mt ... I just knew that some day I'd find a use for that emoticon.

Keep in mind that everything you read about black holes is theoretical at best. No one has ever been to the other side of the event horizon, and since teleportation does no imply invisibility, chances are none of us will ever experience it - at least not in our lifetimes.

Post Posted: Jan 6, 2017 9:48 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Gujō, Japan Is The Capital Of Artificial Foods

Have you ever looked at a restaurant's menu and wished you could see the food before you order? Is the lobster ravioli worth the price, or will you be stuffing your face on fast food later? Perhaps, instead, you've traveled to a new country and had no idea what you were ordering, opting to trust your blind intuition. The Japanese have figured this out, and it comes in the form of beautiful and lifelike artificial foods.

In the ancient city of Gujō, Japan, one of the top tourist attractions is the world-renowned food replica factory. Yes, you read that correctly. The artificial food, or sampuru, business began in 1917 in Gujo Hachiman (now Gujō), Japan. There's a romanticized legend that Japan's father of fake food, Takizo Iwasaki, simply had an epiphany one day as he sat with his ill wife by candlelight and was inspired by the melting wax. The more likely story is that he wanted to replicate the success of the wax skin and organ replicas that were used for medical studies at the time by being a pioneer in the food industry.

Takizo Iwasaki

Fast forward a century, and the artificial food industry is still booming: it rakes in 60 to 90 million yen annually. Iwasaki Co. Ltd. is an empire claiming to manufacture 80 percent of Japan's sampuru under the axiom, "Expressive power of replica food are endless." The factory replicates thousands of different foods—everything from sushi to ice cream to Turkish delicacies.

But how do they do it? Iwasaka Co. Ltd. has about 30 full-time artists who craft each food by hand. According to the website,Vice, they first create a mold by pressing real food into a piece of silicone. Next, they pour colored plastic into the mold, then bake it until it's solid. The final step is where the real creativity comes in: the artist airbrushes and hand-paints every realistic detail before finishing it with a glossy lacquer and assembling it with the other pieces in the dish being made. Sampuru is still widely used in commercials, for speeding up the ordering process, and for helping tourists decide what to order.

In Depth

Post Posted: Jan 7, 2017 9:29 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
You're More Likely To Lie When You're Tired.

It's a Friday afternoon and you've had a long and strenuous work week. Your boss stops by your cubicle and asks if you mailed the letters he left you that morning. The answer is no, but you can just mail them on Monday. He'll never know, right? You're exhausted, so you lie and say, "Yep, sure did." But you're an honest and hard-working employee, so what gives?

Both energy and ethics vary over time. In a 2013 study, researchers from Harvard University and the University of Utah discovered what they've coined the "morning morality effect." Through a series of four experiments measuring the behaviors of both undergraduate college students and adults, they concluded that most people experience "decreases in moral awareness and self-control in the afternoon." Everyday events progressively tax people throughout their day until they're 20% to 50% more likely to be dishonest.

And according to Harvard University's Maryam Kouchaki, "people who usually behave more ethically were the most susceptible to the negative consequences." But do these findings ring true for both morning people and night owls? That's where circadian rhythms come into play.

In a 2014 study, three researchers decided to qualify the claim of a "morning morality effect." Instead of a long day at work, they postulated that sleep habits could be to blame for out-of-character unethical behaviors.

In the study, they gathered "larks" (morning people) and "owls" (night people) into a lab and gave them a simple problem to solve for cash prizes. Since they were told the results would be anonymous, some people lied to make more money. But who? You might've guessed it: the night owls. They ran a second, similar experiment both in the morning and at night. Each time, larks were more dishonest in the afternoon and owls lied more in the morning—both when their circadian rhythms waned.

This is because circadian rhythms help process blood sugar, which improves attention, emotion regulation, impulse control, coping mechanisms, and restraint from impulsive or aggressive behavior. This knowledge is important for managers when deciding which types of assignments they should assign to each type of employee throughout the day. So, never trust a lark after 3pm. Just kidding (sort of).

In Depth

Post Posted: Jan 8, 2017 9:30 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Wind Chill Is Not Only Widely Misunderstood; It's Also Pretty Useless

You wake up on a frigid winter morning and check the weather on your phone. It says it's 38ºF outside with a wind chill of 31ºF. So, freezing. But when you look out the window, you can clearly see puddles of liquid water. Not freezing. What's up with that? This is what: wind chill doesn't tell you whether it's freezing outside; it just predicts how fast you'll get frostbite. And, as it turns out, it's even pretty lousy at that.

The first idea of a "wind chill" factor was developed by a pair of American scientists working in Antarctica who wanted to measure how wind was able to make objects lose heat more quickly than they would usually. (To do this, they used the solidly scientific method of leaving plastic water bottles on the roof of their hut).

Because they expressed this new metric in kilocalories per hour per square meter, it was mostly used by scientists until the 1960s. Then, the U.S. military realized it might come in handy for the troops, and translated the metric into "equivalent temperature"—that is, degrees Fahrenheit. That's when it caught on like wildfire, appearing in TV and radio weather reports everywhere.

Still, this water-bottle metric was unrealistic to use on humans, so the National Weather Service recruited scientists to revise the wind-chill formula by using experiments with real people. It was brilliant in its simplicity: if you know the temperature and wind speed outside, you can know your risk of frostbite. Kind of.

Here's the problem: it assumes a whole lot of things that probably don't apply to you. Wind chill only predicts your risk of frostbite if you're 5'6", overweight, the sun isn't shining, you have no trees or buildings blocking the wind, and you're walking steadily at 3 miles per hour straight into a headwind. Pretty specific. Despite this glaring flaw and many calling to abandon the metric, the National Weather service still promotes wind chill as the be-all end-all.

Luckily, there are better alternatives out there. If you use Accuweather, you can check its RealFeel temperature to know how it feels outside. And for a more scientific measure, try the Universal Thermal Climate Index (UTCI).

In Depth

Post Posted: Jan 9, 2017 9:37 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Scientists Can Turn CO2 Into Ethanol—And They Figured It Out By Accident

In October 2016, scientists accidentally turned carbon dioxide (CO2) into ethanol, a fuel. Whoops! This unexpected result could be huge in combating climate change caused by CO2 in the atmosphere.

Things don't always go exactly according to plan. And sometimes, that can be a really good thing. Take, for instance, that time in October of 2016 when some scientists working at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee tried to turn carbon dioxide into methane. It didn't work. Instead, the scientists got ethanol, a renewable fuel.

This was a surprise because, well, the CO2 converted to ethanol is surprisingly easily. The scientists didn't think the catalysts they were working with could produce ethanol from CO2 on its own. This catalyst produces a yield as high as 70 percent, meaning the process barely wastes much carbon dioxide or catalyst.

What you get is all fuel, baby! Better yet, the process is cheap and scalable because it uses common materials and can be done at room temperature. The ethanol that comes from it is ready to be used as-is.

If you haven't put it together yet, this accidental discovery could mean big things for combating global warming. Carbon dioxide is one of the main greenhouse gases in our atmosphere contributing to climate change. Finding a way to cheaply, easily, and efficiently turn the bad stuff into renewable fuel seems kind of like a dream come true, doesn't it?

In Depth

Post Posted: Jan 9, 2017 11:45 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
well this is good & bad. good, in that maybe they can leave corn alone to be processed for human & animal feedstocks as it had been. bad, in that it means more ethanol produced, on an environmental podium no less. meanwhile i keep hoping butanol will overtake ethanol as a gas additive for its tremendous advantages over ethanol.

Post Posted: Jan 10, 2017 9:30 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Underground Methane Bubbles Create A Dangerous Natural Trampoline

It's a fantastical sight — patches of grassy, green Earth wobbling up and down like a waterbed. But there's nothing fictional about this scene. Over a dozen of these patches were discovered in Siberia in July 2016.

And the reality is worrisome: these patches of bouncy grass are the result of enormous methane bubbles trapped beneath the surface. The ground in these areas is like a giant, natural, and extremely dangerous trampoline.

What's dangerous about these wobbly spots is that they could burst if enough pressure is applied. And bursting this bubble means trouble for climate change: methane is twice as potent as carbon dioxide in warming Earth's atmosphere.

It's unclear how these underground gas pockets formed, but it's thought that abnormal heat caused the region's permafrost to thaw, which releases gases.

In Depth

Post Posted: Jan 10, 2017 10:26 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
mtnhsmama wrote:
[...] bad, in that it means more ethanol produced, on an environmental podium no less. meanwhile i keep hoping butanol will overtake ethanol as a gas additive for its tremendous advantages over ethanol.

One sloppy miracle at a time, my friend. :nerd:

Reply to topic  [ 3375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270 ... 282  Next